It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Overclocking problem

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I have an A-open AK86-L. An AMD Athalon 64bit 3000 @ 2.0Ghz
1 Kinsington Extreme Gamer 512 Mb @ 400Mhz
1 Kinsington 256 Mb @ 400Mhz

I am supposed to be able to overclock my chio through the BIOS. I am supposed to be able to overclock at 1 Mhz steps. When I access this feature and step up any amount, even 1 Mhz, I get the dreaded Blue Screen of death. I can return to default and its fine.

Any Ideas?

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 05:54 PM
link   
When your overclocking are you changing the FSB or the multiplier?

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Im changing the FSB in the BIOS.

I have to change the dipswithches to overclock with the multiplier.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Do you get the BSOD upon restarting Windows? or after a while of it being booted?

Either way, its sounds most likely a memory problem.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Its after reboot once the changes take affect.

The memory tested good in another system.

[edit on 12/30/04 by Kidfinger]

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 07:23 PM
link   
The best I can do on short notice is refer you here:
AMD Optimal BIOS settings + Overclocking Guide
It is not about the 64 bit, but you might find it helpful, or find good links from it. It also has some overclocking tools available.
Must be nice to have the 64 bit. Wish I did!

Finding the Highest CPU speed Mhz
1. Go into Bios, Softmenu II/III option...
2. Change Multiplier from AUTO to 10.5 (10.5x133=1400)
3. Reboot
4. Back to Bios.
5. Increase multiplier one notch (10.5 to 11)
6. Reboot & go into windows
7. Run a Sandra CPU Burn-in & 3DMark 2k1 to check stability
8. If either of above gives a blue screen or crashes, go back to bios and increase Cpu vCore voltage one notch.
9. If the settings don't produce a blue screen or a crash, back to bios, increase multiplier one notch. go back to #6

Round and round you go, until you get to the chips max Mhz...
Remember that figure. You could stop here and have a nicely overclocked chip on multiplier alone, but that makes you a wuss ;-)

Now you have the max Mhz, you need to do some maths. We want to achieve the same speed that you topped out on above, but using a higher FSB and a lower multiplier.

Finding the Highest FSB speed

1. Into BIOS. Divide your top speed so far by 166. Round to nearest single decimal place, and set your multiplier to that. Set your FSB to 166.
2. Reboot, into windows, benchmark / test
3. Any problems, blue screens or crashes, back to bios, increase Ram voltage, try again.
4. If no problems, then back to bios, and take that highest speed and divide it by 176. Set multiplier to the answer, and set FSB to 176. Back to #2
5. Keep going!! Take the Max CPU Speed, divide by 180, back to #2
6. Divide by 196
7. Divide by 200

Etc, etc, etc.

I also found this tidbit:
Overclocking AMD 64 Gigabyte....
Up the MHz a bit, run some tests, reboot, up it a bit more, test, reboot, etc. etc.
At certain times due to instablility up the FSB and/or voltage a bit to keep the OC stable. As soon as you begin to see crashing, looping, overheating etc. go down to a lower clock and stick with it.

If stock cooling is not enough (I doubt it will be...), then buy a fan from Thermaltake or Coolermaster. You'll get more performance and it'll be quiteter.

And this:
www.hothardware.com...
For our first test, we slowly raised each processor's FSB speed via our motherboard's BIOS until the test system was no longer stable. Please note that each processor was running at its stock voltage, 1.4v for the Winchester CPU and 1.5v for the Newcastle. The heatsink used to cool each processor was the model that shipped with AMD's flagship FX-55 processor. It is an aluminum finned heatsink with a copper base, and copper heat-pipes. You can take a look at it right here.

To be certain the CPU was the limiting factor in our overclocking attempts, we dropped the HyperTransport clock to 4X (800MHz) from its default of 5X (1GHz), locked the AGP/PCI clocks, and ran our memory at timings of 2.5-3-3-10 at 2.8v. At these settings, this configuration topped out at an FSB of over 260MHz in a previous article...

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by makeitso

Must be nice to have the 64 bit. Wish I did!

I got the MoBo on Ebay for 32 dollars brand new, And I got the CPU off pricewatch for 169 dollars, also brand new. Both came with a 3 year warrenty. All said and done, I think I got my monies worth and then some

Thanks for the info and links

[edit on 12/30/04 by Kidfinger]

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Well?...... Its been week now.

How does that 64bit overclocked maximum overdrive work?

Did you get it running?

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 06:12 PM
link   
overclocking lowers average CPU I/O and core voltages a tad.

I have been out of the loop for a year now, but there has to be a way to incremently adjust either your CPU I/O or core or both voltages a tad.

Dont attempt this without an online verification (read: check it out with others first!!!), but I'm pretty sure its a low average voltage issue.

��

[edit on 7-1-2005 by sozzledboot]

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by makeitso
Well?...... Its been week now.

How does that 64bit overclocked maximum overdrive work?

Did you get it running?

Well, after many attempts and no success, I give up. I will just have to be happy with the 2ghz speeds Im getting.

I was just trying to push that res up one more notch on Half Life 2.

new topics

top topics

join