It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harris County Deputy killed while pumping gas

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: largo

They already said they don't have a motive beyond "because badge" so I guess I'm not sure what there is to "finalize" anything. At the time he was murdered he wasn't doing anything aside from walking back to his cruiser after putting gas in it. Far as I know that's not an illegal act.

If it's wrong for a cop to kill somebody who isn't doing anything wrong, it's probably not okay for a civilian to kill a cop who isn't doing anything.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: largo
a reply to: alienjuggalo

Until I know something about the cop involved (Did he smoke dope? Was his family on welfare? Did he have a single mom?) I won't be able to finalize a position because all of that stuff is SOOO important to measure the worth of a human.

Why does it matter? Whether cop, or no, he was walking back to his car. He hadn't done anything.

Without the smartypantness, this cop may have been killed for CAUSE. How about we look into his record to see if he was sorta scummy or was he a paragon of police virtue? You know giving out tickets for O/T paqy, soliciting for the Policemans' Benevolent Association, getting sex from hookers-you know because cops are so virtuous.

Why does it matter? He was walking back to his car. Nothing about that is "cause".

All we know is that a dude was killed without apparent inducement.

From behind, without a chance to defend himself.

As to a cop being sliced down from behind, why would you confront him face to face? Because you are significantly stupid? the guy is carrying weapons and is likely trained to use them.

Why do it at all?

You adored American Sniper. Who did he face off with? His shadow?

What does that have to do with anything, at all?

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Sounds like a victim is guilty and deserving of violence until proven innocent. That method of thinking is what is causing some of this violent mess.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Harris County District Attorney Devon Anderson

Anderson said a .40 caliber handgun was found at Miles' home. She said the bullets in the gun matched bullets fund at the scene of the shooting. Ballistics testing later showed that the bullets fired at the scene matched the weapon

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Hadn't seen that update yet, so thanks.

A little surprised that he didn't dump the gun, to be honest.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

So the contention is that he was targeted because he was a cop?

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Cops Lives Matter!

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   

The news had something along the lines that he admitted to owning a pistol and a search warrant found it in the garage. I too would have bet on it dumped. Maybe after he went home he didn't want to leave or go outside due to the manhunt.

But there were probably places to throw it on the drive home.

edit on 8/31/2015 by roadgravel because: typo

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

That's the only motive the SO has said they have, yea.

Gonna PM you

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

That's the only motive the SO has said they have, yea.

Gonna PM you

How do you deal with that? That's damn near a declaration of war. #. I'm glad I don't have a passport.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Make sure the vest is on even though it's hot and head on a swivel. Not much else to do, is there? Not legally anyway. I suppose that's the key phrase there.

ETA - Point of fact there has been what one could probably argue is a declaration of war. A group (believe it was New Black Panthers but I'm not 100% on that) called for killing/lynching whites and "offing pigs." After this deputy was shot they started backtracking saying "off the pigs" doesn't mean kill them it means get them off the job. (ETA within an ETA - I believe the rally the group had was in Texas and not terribly far away from where the murder took place, but again I'm not 100%)

Or something.

edit on 31-8-2015 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-8-2015 by Shamrock6 because: ETA'd my ETA

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Yea. I mean by nature, criminals aren't always the smartest people. I can easily see him hanging on to it with the expectation that he would get stopped, then made it home and had the "well...crap" moment.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   

There may be a reason he didn't think to:

One of Miles' court appointed attorneys, Anthony Osso, said Miles "looked to me to have a blank expression, which is always a cause for concern."

Miles will undergo a psychological examination as part of his background investigation, Osso said. A defense team is being put together that will include forensic experts and psychological experts, he said.

Killer unloaded 'entire pistol' into deputy, DA says

Nothing makes sense about this incident. It will be interesting to see what comes of the psychological evaluations.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Mentally incompetent for trial in a previous case.

HOUSTON — A 30-year-old Cypress man accused of gunning down a police officer spent four months in a mental hospital in 2012 after being declared incompetent to stand trial in an aggravated assault case.

Shannon Jaruay Miles, 30, was accused of viciously beating up a man at a Salvation Army shelter in Austin. Several months later, Miles was declared incompetent. After spending time at North Texas State Hospital he was later returned to competency, according to Travis County records. The case was later dismissed.

www.chron.com...

I have to wonder about the fire arm. Did he get it legally or off the street. Did mom know?
edit on 8/31/2015 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Fantastic. So he's going to get three hots and a cot for this.

Whoopee.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   

... declared incompetent.

After spending time at North Texas State Hospital he was later returned to competency, according to Travis County records.

So mental committing a crime, OK otherwise. Who would have thought...

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Deputy Goforth's funeral service will be live streamed on the following link
KHOU11
At least 7000 people from around the nation are expected to attend. #BlueHouston

#BlueHouston launched to honor fallen HCSO deputy

Harris County Sheriff's Deputy Sandeep Dhaliwal is stunned by the community response as well. "He is one of the reasons I am in uniform today," said the deputy of his mentor and friend Deputy Goforth. "It's very personal for me. Plus, I was first on the scene as well," he said of the night Goforth was killed.
But what has supported him and his fellow deputies since is all of the support he has seen at the memorial and throughout the community with trees adorned with blue ribbons. There have also been crowds of people that have waited hours for their chance to pick up a freshly printed yard sign from InkDots Printing on Cypress N. Houston road. The signs show the picture of Deputy Goforth with the message "Love One Another" and "Greater Love Hath No One Than This, To Lay Down His Life for His Friends." "And they're still doing it five days later," remarked Dhaliwal of the community support. "And this is what we need. That's what we need. It's going to keep us going. Our brother may have given his life, but he started something that will turn this hate around."
And to keep it turning around Dhaliwal started #BlueHouston. He wants everyone to use the hashtag on social media and use it often so it can go viral. "We're cut we all bleed," said Lasko. "And that's the point that needs to be made that this is our community, this is our state, this is our nation and we need to become united."

CX

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Not long after that thread the other day about the member of public who watched the LEO's back whilst he was filling his tank up.

Very sad.

CX.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join