It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dayton Police Officer Pulls Over Black Man for Making Eye Contact.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+20 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Do nothing wrong and police have no reason to bother you and you have no reason to worry. Right? We hear that all the time but in the current societal landscape the scope of what is considered wrong in the eyes of law enforcement is growing.

Take the story of John Felton in Dayton, Ohio.

"My brother had his seat belt on and everything and I was like, 'This cop is following me, I don't know why he's following me I'm going to make sure I don't do anything to make him pull me over.'

Guess what happened...John Felton was pulled over. And what was the reason for the stop?

"Your turn signal, your turn signal was on but you didn't turn it on 100 feet prior,"

Seems like a petty reason to make a stop but whatever, lets find out why the officer was trailing John in the first place.

"You made direct eye contact with me and held onto it when I was passing you," the officer responded.

Felton: What! I didn't even see you."

Officer: "I am not going to argue with you, sir. I'll just scan your license and give you a citation for the violation and you could take it to court."

Video of the traffic stop starts at the 1 minute mark in the following video:

So this man is trailed because he made eye contact with an officer. And not just any eye contact but direct eye contact. What a criminal. Then the officer pulls out one of the most petty traffic infractions I think I've ever even heard of for a traffic stop. Is this situation simply as petty as it appears or are there perhaps some underlying factors at play?

SOURCE

+18 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I do that with almost every officer I pass now. I am a white female who has been (in my younger years) given a hard time by some LEO's because of piercings and visible tattoos. Back then I was ticketed frequently for petty things.

I'm a grown ass woman now and if they are going to be petty they are going to do it with me looking them in the eye the whole time.

The control some of these LEO's are seeking is beyond ridiculous. I often wonder what they do when they have small children of their own. If they are that unforgiving and controlling.
I hope not.

And yes. I certainly know that it's not ALL LEO's.
edit on 8/28/2015 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

+17 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: FraggleRock

Well, the cop says it plain as day. He tailed him for making direct eye contact, and then pulls the driver over for not turning his signal on 100ft before he made a turn. He literally followed the driver for several miles and waited on him to make any mistake to pull him over. When the driver doesn't make any mistakes, the cop gets frustrated and just makes some # up.

I hope the cop gets fired. But he won't. Business as usual.

I think a lot of people are scared to death when they are in the proximity of a black person.
edit on 28-8-2015 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   

I feel bad for all those that haven't got the evidence to prove they have been harassed by a representative of an establishment that is supposed to be there to serve and protect the public from harm.

The way we should be, is to wear webcams, at all times, I suppose we all become big brother.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   

shocking, this is shocking. i never would have guessed in 2015 this stuff still happens.
this thread is surely going to change the way people think about police treatment of blacks. ....

/sarcasm

who wants to bet 50$ in 2088 while driving a flying car a black guy gets a ticket for similar thing...

+11 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

It's not just black people. Did you not read above? I have been harassed and I am a white female. They don't like anyone who is different, they especially don't like anyone who questions the status quo or challenges their authority.

Concentrating on one specific group of people might fix problems (eventually) for that group but the problems need to be fixed for EVERYONE.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

they especially don't like anyone who questions the status quo or challenges their authority. 

You nailed it right there, my dear.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   
That crappy set-up is one good reason to hold a decent fart in reserve!

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   

as bad as getting pulled over for having an air freshener.

I almost started a thread on this but it seems like a good thread to post it in..

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   
where are those xmas tree airfresheners made to be hung, anyway?

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   
What does his race have to do with it?

I am white and have been pulled over for looking directly at a cop. He said it was suspicious.

I think the problem is that police find all poor people suspicious. Wouldn't have pulled him if he was riding in a limo I bet.

edit on 28-8-2015 by theyknowwhoyouare because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

I think a lot of people are scared to death when they are in the proximity of a police officer.

There fixed it for you

Cause I know I am.
edit on 8/28/2015 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

edit on Wed Sep 2 2015 by Jbird because: replaced quote tags with reply to: to remove false quote

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   

It's a sad state of affairs when the population of a country has more reason to fear the police than to fear the criminals.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   
More often then not in some places this scenario might be the case of following someone to wait until they make a mistake. Officer thought eye contact was suspicious, a nervous reaction. Seems like only in smaller towns or if you know police in your city that it's safe to wave, nod or give eye contact.

originally posted by: theyknowwhoyouare

I am white and have been pulled over for looking directly at a cop. He said it was suspicious.

I think the problem is that police find all poor people suspicious. Wouldn't have pulled him if he was riding in a limo I bet.

Yeah poor in a low income neighborhood sadly no matter what skin color you're already a suspect.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: theyknowwhoyouare

Race may or may not be relevant in this instance but the individual involved believed it was at least possible.

So in reference to my thread title, I have always simply copied and pasted the article title from the source I am using whenever I author a thread. That was not me injecting race into this situation. Although my commentary does at least imply that possibility, among others.

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
They don't like anyone who is different, they especially don't like anyone who questions the status quo or challenges their authority.

They're expecting you to drop your eyes, cringe, kowtow, show your subservience with body language.

Cops constantly receive body language from people that indicates they acknowledge the officer's higher status. The subservience is to the office, not the person, but the LEO's subconscious interprets it as acknowledging that THEY are of higher 'pack status'. You hear LEOs externalize this expectation as 'paying respect' but what they really mean is they want that kowtow at a gut level. Because it makes you feel good. Jacks your mood. Gives you that "I'm really important" feeling to see another person do that, even if you don't consciously notice it on either side of the exchange.

When you don't get it, it provokes a different gut level reaction. Suspicion. Animus. Anger. This guy is a bad guy. I need to force him to do what I want because he's up to something. But what it really is is the old limbic system saying 'I am an alpha and this beta/gamma pack member did not roll his belly to me'.

NOT meeting that expectation is a mammalian status challenge. Eye to eye contact without a secondary submission indication such as a smile or body posture that indicates subservience will often trigger hostility. You see this in most carnivorous or omnivorous pack mammals. Dogs are a good example.

You REALLY want to toggle a cop off, walk past a group of them (the more the bigger the reaction you will get), look to see who the top dog in the group is, look them in the eye and then laugh. You'll send every signal in the book.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Ha ha , i really don't quite know what's up with your police over there . A few years ago here (Australia ) i was pulled over by a police officer . He approached the vehicle and asked " i don't suppose you have a reason for doing 128 kmh in a 110 zone " . My reply was " well it wouldn't go any faster . He stopped , went to say something , stopped again then pointed down the road and said " go , just go " . Nothing to do with the OP , just thought i will share .

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I've said before and I'll say it again, I remember a group of young men with a bit of attitude that hailed from the city of Compton and they once said something very profound in regards to officers of the law, hmmm what was it they said? If only I could remember what it was.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

Well, the cop says it plain as day. He tailed him for making direct eye contact, and then pulls the driver over for not turning his signal on 100ft before he made a turn. He literally followed the driver for several miles and waited on him to make any mistake to pull him over. When the driver doesn't make any mistakes, the cop gets frustrated and just makes some # up.

I hope the cop gets fired. But he won't. Business as usual.

I think a lot of people are scared to death when they are in the proximity of a black person.

Umm, speak for yourself. I'm a white female. I have PLENTY of African American friends and have worked in the downtown Cincinnati area (Avondale, Clifton, Mt. Auburn) for years. I am not "scared to death" of any black person...I'm more worried about the strung out white folks on Heroin than any black folks.

This is just a totally ignorant statement, IMHO.

Are some LEO's afraid of African Americans? Maybe. But most of the time it is because they are racist pieces of excrement and on a huge power trip.

Jesus, live and let live people.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
They don't like anyone who is different, they especially don't like anyone who questions the status quo or challenges their authority.

They're expecting you to drop your eyes, cringe, kowtow, show your subservience with body language.

Cops constantly receive body language from people that indicates they acknowledge the officer's higher status. The subservience is to the office, not the person, but the LEO's subconscious interprets it as acknowledging that THEY are of higher 'pack status'. You hear LEOs externalize this expectation as 'paying respect' but what they really mean is they want that kowtow at a gut level. Because it makes you feel good. Jacks your mood. Gives you that "I'm really important" feeling to see another person do that, even if you don't consciously notice it on either side of the exchange.

When you don't get it, it provokes a different gut level reaction. Suspicion. Animus. Anger. This guy is a bad guy. I need to force him to do what I want because he's up to something. But what it really is is the old limbic system saying 'I am an alpha and this beta/gamma pack member did not roll his belly to me'.

NOT meeting that expectation is a mammalian status challenge. Eye to eye contact without a secondary submission indication such as a smile or body posture that indicates subservience will often trigger hostility. You see this in most carnivorous or omnivorous pack mammals. Dogs are a good example.

You REALLY want to toggle a cop off, walk past a group of them (the more the bigger the reaction you will get), look to see who the top dog in the group is, look them in the eye and then laugh. You'll send every signal in the book.

EXACTLY, 1000% CORRECT!!!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join