It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Politician's Response to Petition- is it as dumb as it seems? and how should I respond?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Here's the exact wording of a petition I recently created:

"Schedule I drugs, substances, or chemicals are defined as drugs with no currently accepted medical use and a high potential for abuse. Schedule I drugs are the most dangerous drugs of all the drug schedules with potentially severe psychological or physical dependence. Some examples of Schedule I drugs are:

heroin, lysergic acid diethylamide ('___'), marijuana (cannabis), 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (ecstasy), methaqualone, and peyote"
Source: DEA website

Marijuana has been in this category since the Nixon administration. And it's doomed to stay there because of a Catch 22: It's a Schedule 1 because it (supposedly) has no medical benefits. Researchers can't prove it does because it's a Schedule 1.

End the madness.

Congress- you have the power. I am disabled due to PTSD and marijuana would benefit me. There are thousands, if not millions of cancer sufferers, people with seizures, people in pain who could benefit from marijuana. Help these people, they are suffering because of government bureaucracy and it's just plain wrong.

Here is the response I just got back from Senator Cornyn:

Thank you for contacting me with your suggestions regarding the war on drugs. I recognize the time and effort that you are dedicating to actively participate in the democratic process, and I appreciate that you and other concerned citizens have provided me the benefit of your comments on this matter.

Illegal drug abuse is a threat to the fabric of our nation, causing more than 30,000 deaths and billions of dollars in economic losses each year. Efforts to stem the flow of illicit drugs and educate our citizens about the dangers of these substances should be a priority for policymakers nationwide.

Our national drug control strategy must also focus on reducing the growing problem of counterfeit, misbranded, and adulterated substances in the medical and commercial supply chains. Many illegitimate outlets are marketing contaminated or knock-off prescription drugs, while others attempt to dodge existing laws by selling synthetic versions of illegal narcotics, such as heroin and coc aine. Unfortunately, these substances can have tragic effects—often causing serious injury or death. Members of the Senate must continue working to keep children and consumers safe by ensuring that existing laws and agencies provide the oversight necessary to protect consumers from the purveyors of these dangerous drugs.

Furthermore, as you know, several states have legalized marijuana for medicinal and recreational purposes. I support the Supreme Court’s 2001 decision ruling that the use of marijuana for medicinal purposes is not a defense under federal law, but we should always have an open dialogue on social issues, even when they are issues on which we may disagree.

I am always appreciative when Texans take the time to reach out and share their concerns. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,

JOHN CORNYN
United States Senator

So is it just me, or did the response COMPLETELY fail to address the issue raised by me? I plan on including print outs of these along with a 'real' actual, physical letter to send back to this guy. Clearly I just got a copy and paste 'War on Drugs' letter. Without going off the deep end, anyone care to make any suggestions? I just feel like I should point out that his response letter was a total non-answer.

Oh and here's the Senate Floor Schedule, just so you don't have any kind of pity party about this guy being too busy to read letters from his constituents:

Floor Schedule

Tuesday, Sep 08, 2015
2:00 p.m.: Convene and begin consideration of H.J.Res.61, Hire More Heroes Act of 2015.

Previous Meeting
Thursday, Aug 06, 2015
The Senate convened at 11:30 a.m. for a pro forma session.

Senate.gov
edit on 28-8-2015 by ladyvalkyrie because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-8-2015 by ladyvalkyrie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   
You received a copy of one of about 50 form letters every senator and congressman has on file to reply to constituent mail.

I've written multiple letters to both senators and and congressmen and only once have I gotten a personal, actually responsive letter in return. And that was because I had served with his son briefly.

I'm surprised you're surprised I guess.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyvalkyrie
It looks like it might be a form letter. It really doesn't look like it addresses anything but the "official" line.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   
This is the way our government works. If you want them to actually LISTEN to what you have to say simply become a multi-billion dollar company and they'll be all ears. Otherwise shut-up and sit down.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
You can try calling in person. You might get a staffer on the phone. Then you know you've talked to someone in person at least.

Very rarely are you going to get a personal direct response.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   

That is the canned response. You should reply to it AND call. Your local legislator, that has a say on medical marijuana clinics in counties, will have a staffer to talk to you at length, if you are not lucky enough to talk to that legislator personally.

edit on 28-8-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Form-letters like that are common. You're really kind of lucky that it didn't come on a hand-torn quarter page of scrap like a rejection letter from a publisher.

I suggest that you photo copy his response onto some hemp paper, claim it's the original, and use it to shame him in front of whatever kind of constituents he actually has that agree with his position.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Thought this might be pertinent to include in my return letter:
Open Secrets.org
The TOP contributor to his PAC was Blue Cross/Blue Shield and 3 of his 5 Industries that are paying him involve health care and/or pharmaceuticals.

Since his form letter saw fit to include the harrowing statistic of 30,000 deaths annually due to illegal drug use...I thought maybe I could include some statistics of my own:
Annual Causes of Death
And also include the fact that for my particular illness, the 'approved' treatments constitute 3 out of 9 of the most addictive Prescription Drugs on the market.
Addictive Drugs

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

I'm surprised you're surprised I guess.

You're right on that. And I wouldn't say I'm 'surprised' per se....it's just, geez dude, if you don't have a form letter on hand for a particular issue don't just grab something that happens to have the word 'drugs' in it and slap a stamp on it. C'mon. I mean, there wasn't even an intern around to throw something together real quick?

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Maybe you should schedule a meeting with the Honorable Senator so that you might ask him this question:
Why is Marijuana a schedule 1 drug when alcohol kills people in many different ways and it is legal?

In order to meet with him you may need to fudge your name a bit when you make the appointment.
I would suggest something like " The Center for Wealthy Businessmen Dumping Truckloads of Money in Senator Cornyn's Backyard".... he might make time for you then.
edit on b000000312015-08-28T16:38:39-05:0004America/ChicagoFri, 28 Aug 2015 16:38:39 -0500400000015 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Politicians and Southerners have the most verbose and polite reponses instead of just "Screw you".

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   
If I'm not badly mistaken that is almost exactly the same letter I get back from Mitch McConnell every time I write to him about the issue. Must be standard Repub answer.
My only suggestion is write another letter and keep following up on it. I send them something at least once a month to remind them that we want action rather than rhetoric.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Sounds pretty much like every response I've received from Cornyn. Here's the latest, that was a great little tap dance around my concern:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the National Security Agency (NSA) and related intelligence activities of the U.S. government. I recognize the time and effort that you are dedicating to actively participate in the democratic process, and I appreciate that you and other concerned citizens have provided me the benefit of your comments on this important matter.

As you know, various laws provide law enforcement and intelligence officials with tools to investigate spies, terrorists, and foreign-based enemies of the United States. Currently, the NSA collects bulk telephone metadata, which includes the dates, times, and the duration of telephone calls, but omits the content of these conversations.

Nonetheless, in some circumstances, it is necessary to balance privacy interests against our national security priorities. It is the duty of members of Congress to both uphold the protections of the Constitution, and ensure the safety and security of all Americans.

During my tenure in the Senate, I have worked with my colleagues to ensure that laws are constitutional and that government searches are no broader than necessary to protect our nation from the continuing national security threats. You may be certain that I take seriously the role of Congress in providing oversight of these programs, and that I will continue to closely monitor the intelligence activities of the U.S. government throughout the 114th Congress.

I am always appreciative when Texans take the time to reach out and share their concerns. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,

JOHN CORNYN
United States Senator

No, Mr. Cornyn, there is no "balance." If you allow the threats of others to dictate the importance and meaning of the Fourth Amendment, they have already won.
edit on 28-8-2015 by WTFover because: Grammar, grammar, grammar

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to Lady Valkyrie:

That is an EXCELLENT petition. Did you have it signed by bunches of people, or are you requesting "approval" from him, though?

His response was just a crock of politispeak. Not a valid or pertinent one at all.
Wait - Let me guess, a Republican?

Yep! Wiki confirms it. A Texas conservative out-of-touch old white guy (63 years old).

See how they are?
What an asinine response. It's not a response at all, it's a canned vague form letter.

Senators have to hold the line of their State governments.
Representatives are more likely to listen to WE THE PEOPLE.

What a stupid mess.
The guy is clearly ignorant and promoting the "War on Drugs" a la how it is.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: WTFover

Nice addition to the discussion, you may find this interesting, and something to include on your next letter:
Truth about NSA
They claim to have thwarted over 50 terror plots! Wow! 50! That's effin amazing! ...but wait, it's actually more like 13. And all these terror plots could have been thwarted just fine with traditional investigative methods.

First thing Monday I'm mailing off a physical letter to this douche and I can't wait to receive and post his response.

PS When I was in high school we had an assignment to write a letter to a politician- about any issue, just a letter. I sent a pro-marijuana letter to Rick Perry. One of my points was that it would free up prison space for actual violent offenders. The letter (on notebook paper, Lol!) was returned addressed to my parents, and in big red marker ON my letter someone (Rick?) wrote "I will never legalize marijuana, I will build more prisons."
It may be saved in a box somewhere, but man, every time I think of that letter it cracks me up. I totally should have framed that ho!

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Thanks! Krazysh0t deserves credit, it was his thread that inspired me.

And it's against the rules to start a thread for the sole purpose of promoting a cause. But since we're now thoroughly into the discussion part of the thread, here's my petition:
Petition
Sign it, share it.

Due to my disability I'm basically a hermit. I e-mailed the link to ALL my friends and family and it didn't even top 10 people. Lol!

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Politicians are not concerned about harm reduction to the nation not when alcohol and tabacco are the biggest killing drugs available legally in every state in the store. Nice effort though, but your dealing with massive hypocrites here.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

As I pointed out in a PP, almost HALF of this guy's PAC contributions are from health insurance/health care/and pharmaceutical industries. I wonder if that has anything to do with his hard line stance against 'illegal' drugs? If you're addicted to 'legal' drugs it's more money in the pocket of his personal piggy banks.

new topics

top topics

join