It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tsunami that could hit the USA

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 04:59 PM
link   
...Living on borrowed time?
Updated : 29 December, 2004

The entire east coast of the USA from Maine to Miami in addition to the South Americas rests on a potential timetable to destruction that could take place at any time with a future eruption of the remaining active volcano on Las Palmas in the Canary Isles.

www.newsmedianews.com...

[edit on 30-12-2004 by eh7879]

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 05:56 PM
link   
It is said that this will happen anytime in the next 200 years.

A massive land slide will cause a huge tsunami, much bigger than the one in the Indian Ocean. The USA will be the worst hit, but it will affect Europe on a smaller scale.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 06:09 PM
link   
It frustrates me that most people are too doped up on religion to care about any of this. They figure, what the hell, I'm gonna live forever with god and all his angels, why should I endeavor to save the planet and all living things on it. It just proves that while religion is an adequate defense mechanism against fear, it really lost its appeal to the masses when it stopped using drugs in mass.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Yeah, I've been hearing about that for years. Could happen at anytime, or never. I don't think that will be the next thing to go wrong. I believe we'll continue to be hit by suprise. Maybe that Super Volcano in YellowStone Park will erupt, that would be pretty suprising, but I think it'll be even more so suprising. If we have another huge disaster soon, I'm thinking it'll be something nobody is really thinking about. Something crazy like all of the oil deposits beneath the Earth catch fire and explode.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Get to hight ground.

1km above sea level should be the new standard of living.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I believe there are more recent studies/analysis that show the destructive power would be quite small compared to what studies before showed. I think they also stated that small chuncks would slide away individually rather than one large slide. Also the studies stated that in may infact never happen. I will provide links if needed.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Well, after having researched this a bit, as usual there are two sides to this story. Another team of scientists went there to examine the stress points along the ledge in question, and determined that, given the historical data from previous eruptions, if an eruption did occur, that the ledge would most likely break off in much smaller sections. The threat would be much reduced. It made sense to me.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I've also heard lots of times that California may one day fall into the Pacific--I think it's everything west of the San Andreas Fault.

Think Ohio is safe from the effects of a tsunami?

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Personally. I don't trust anything under 6500 feet.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Article is BS no?

half trillion tons of earth?

That is alot bigger then the canary island in question?

half trillion tons of earth = 1 billion square feet of earth.

5260 (squared) feet = 1 mile by 1 mile.

So 1 billion square feet of earth is something like 36 square miles of earth.

That is saying that each square foot of earth weighs 1000 pounds. That is GENEROUS in my opinion.

I think these people are a little delusioned in their numbers.

[edit on 31-12-2004 by Ritual]

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 10:38 PM
link   
The wave could travel from Africa to here. Ou must factor in the displaced water. Besides, all Tidal Waves gain power as they move, eventually reaqching a peak and then lowering back down to a minimum. I've heard a lot about this, and they are just recently speaking of a possible future tsunami on the West Coast. Although the Tsunami that may or may not strike the East Coast would be absolutely catastrophic... I can't help but hope, if it indeed happens, that it is within my lifetime. I'm used to seeing the movie tsunami's and am extremely curious to see a real life one. Too bad we can't catch these things on camera. I seriously doubt the waves would reach Ohio, so I'm sure you're safe. From what I've read, the wave could be massive enough to reach 35 miles inland at the maximum.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by eh7879
The entire east coast of the USA from Maine to Miami in addition to the South Americas rests on a potential timetable to destruction that could take place at any time with a future eruption of the remaining active volcano on Las Palmas in the Canary Isles.

Pretty selective Tsunami. No? Canada and Mexico are spared? Even a Tsunami has respect for Canadians to not harm their shores... But why spare the Mexicans?

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I'm sure he was including the Mexicans when he said South Americans. Also, The Tsunami would reach inland just enough to penetrate the Canadian border, that is if the tsunami even reaches that far North.

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarkHelmet
I'm sure he was including the Mexicans when he said South Americans. Also, The Tsunami would reach inland just enough to penetrate the Canadian border, that is if the tsunami even reaches that far North.

I was only joking anyway.

Well, I don't know what map you are looking at, but it looks to me like if that mountain slips into the ocean and causes a tsunami, the shores of Nova Scotia and Newfoundland will get hit first and probably harder (hits direct on, rather than at an angle) than any of America's coastline (although there will certainly be far more destruction in America, then there would be in Canada's shoreline).

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ritual
Article is BS no?

half trillion tons of earth?

That is alot bigger then the canary island in question?

half trillion tons of earth = 1 billion square feet of earth.

5260 (squared) feet = 1 mile by 1 mile.

So 1 billion square feet of earth is something like 36 square miles of earth.

That is saying that each square foot of earth weighs 1000 pounds. That is GENEROUS in my opinion.

I think these people are a little delusioned in their numbers.

Which ton did you use in your calculations?

In Europe 1 ton is 1000Kg which equals 1.12 US tons.

[edit on 1-1-2005 by danrok]

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Which ton did you use in your calculations?

In Europe 1 ton is 1000Kg which equals 1.12 US tons.

[edit on 1-1-2005 by danrok]

LOL well I did a half trillion pounds not tons.

Which further strengthens my point, because if I had measured a half trillion US tons, the square mileage of earth would become larger.

There is 2000 pounds in a US Ton. Since my original little calculation was based on 1000 pounds per square foot. I just double it and then it would be

72 square miles of Earth falling into the ocean.

Anything could happen I suppose, but I think they are smoking some cayman island gogo leaf.

[edit on 1-1-2005 by Ritual]

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 12:03 PM
link   
As discussed elsewhere, this is an alarmist possibility, and not realistic. Recent surveys have shown that the mass would break away in chunks, doing little to no damage.

LL1

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Here's another study that has been done over the years.

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   
here are some video shots from the tsunamis that hit u can watch it on this site .click on -SE VIDION HER

www.vg.no...

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
the city of the dead in ruins se the pictures here

www.vg.no...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join