It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7 Deputies Walk Off Job After Oregon Sheriff Allegedly Beats Handcuffed Suspect

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 06:49 AM
link   
a reply to: IslandOfMisfitToys

Yep. The problem is the bad apples tend be in leadership roles, either de facto or de jure.

When the 26 year captain grabs the 3 month rookie and says "see that guy? He doesn't have your back, so don't have his" the rook probably isn't going to say "gee whiz cap, that doesn't seem right and I believe I'm gonna go tell channel 3 news that you said that!" At best he'll ignore it. Doesn't make him a bad apple.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 06:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Yes... actually, it does.

Good people know right from wrong without being told which is which, and do right as if their lives depended on it. Turning a blind eye is no more acceptable than committing a crime yourself!

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Turning a blind eye to what? Being told to take an extra minute or two to get to a call that the other guy is the primary on? What's the crime there? Is it morally right? No. Are you telling him he's a bad cop because he's unwilling to risk his career over something he can't prove? Yep.

People seem to forget that "it's not what you know, it's what you can prove" is a very real statement. So let's pull that string. The rook goes and tells somebody. The captain says "I have no idea what you're talking about and not only that but I think the officer in question may be writing bad reports." So...now what? What did that accomplish? Not a damn thing other than now there's two officers on the outs instead of one. What a victory that is for justice!

I caught heat for arresting an off duty who was DUI. My dad was damn near run out of his department for arresting a captain. Retaliation is real. It happens. Not running to the media over every last little thing doesn't make one a bad cop. Especially when it's nothing more than some "he said/he said" BS. Breaking the law does. Aiding others in breaking the law does.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Horse nuts.

If you take up a career in law enforcement, and you do it with any intention other than to ensure that every wrong you ever lay eyes on is put right, and in short bloody order as well, then you entered into it for some very strange reasons indeed! If you respect the law enough to want to take a job which demands that you see it upheld, that is a twenty four seven, no limits, no exceptions task, and if you cannot hack that responsibility, then why the hell would you take the job?

The police in any nation, ought to be there to spit in the eyes of injustice, no matter where it is to be found, or who perpetrates it, otherwise the whole department, the whole concept collapses.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

It's morally wrong to not hold a door open for an old lady using a walker.

I'll hop right on dispensing justice the next time I see that.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   

This is the problem we are having as citizens trying to view cops as "the good guys".

When you (the proverbial you) will pull us over and shoot some of us for some pretty asinine # but look the other way when a cop does something terribly wrong.........

And you are sitting here making excuses for it?

THAT is the whole entire problem. There should be NO excuse if you are a law enforcer. If there is an excuse you are a selective law enforcer.
edit on 28-8-2015 by IslandOfMisfitToys because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: IslandOfMisfitToys

Did I make excuses for pulling people over and offing them? I'm pretty sure I was talking about the fact that retaliation is real. And the only example I gave of "looking the other way" was in regard to retaliation. Don't think I condoned allowing or aiding another officer in breaking the law.

Nope.

In fact I'm pretty confident I lambasted the UC cop up one side and down the other. As well as other cops who have, in my opinion, broken the law. So don't confuse me talking about acts of retaliation as excusing officers for breaking the law.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   

I didn't say you. Why so defensive?

I said if there is so much fear of retaliation then there really is no hope of actual justice.

You have proven to us all what we have been fearing all along. The fact that a good cop has no recourse when it comes to the bad.

I really can't see myself working in such an environment. No wonder cops snap at the slightest heartbeat. No offense meant.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I see where you're comin from Man,even though where on opposite sides some times..

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join