It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suggestions for possible alien languages.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Hi
While studying a bit on psychology I came across a study that I found fascinating. It created ta train of thought on the medium for communication for ET and to what depth do they choose to communicate. The study was created to determine whether vocal languages developed faster in children coompared to thsose children learning sign language from birth. It came to the surprising conclusion that both sets of childrenhit every milestone at the same time. This suggests that we as a species are adaptable to use other mediums of language.
This brought me on to thinking what medium of communication would ET use and how would it be recognisable to our sensory awareness. Would they use movements of fingers , soundless movements of the lips, flickering of the eyes etc. My favourite would be vocal language however with spoke at such a high frequency that only those they chose can lock into that set frequency. Basically like radio with the beings all having a unique vocal frequency and only those chosen can receive incoming communication.
Those moments when your someone is laughing to loud in the cinema would be great. Or at the end of a bad day you can just close your frequency.

Anyway what would you guess would be a medium of coommunication used. Also before any do gooders come in crying there is only life here just reminding its pure guesswork.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: liteonit6969

The thing with flickering fingers, soundless movement of lips, etc, is that they cannot be understood by someone who is not looking at the "speaker". Remember that language too follows a variant of Natural Selection. If your interlocutor cannot see you, and you detect he is in imminent danger, you simply flicking your fingers at him will not be as efficient as shouting " watch out! " at him - thus, groups speaking with fingers will be less likely to survive then groups speaking with sounds.

Energy from thoughts are not powerful enough to be heard at a distance, touch carries the disadvantage of encouraging contamination of diseases, visual cues are directional, chemical communication can vary in efficiency depending on environmental factors, just to name a few. I would guess sound is the most probable form of communication.

The majority of animals using sounds is an evidence in favour of my opinion.

edit on 27-8-2015 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   

The first thing I would do is flip them off.

Get it out of the way.

If the et fried my ass with a laser gun we would know it was a bad sign.

If it flipped me off in return and fired up the BBQ we would know it was a good sign.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Geoglyph carvings and laser holographic images, are two possible methods of communication that the otherworlders use to communicate with us.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   

What about a musical language? We well know that if we learn something set to music, it sticks better than than mere flat words. So every utterance of any importance from them could be set to a particular type of music to help get the meaning across.

It's funny you started this thread because just yesterday I was thinking about an old sci-fi short story I read decades ago where the ETs expressed their thoughts by gnawing on a stick they carried which caused the appropriate markings they were expressing. So one had to visit an earthly dentist for help with a sore tooth.

Weird story, yes? It was written by a female dental assistant. As I recall, her ETs sorta resembled large, fat frogs.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Erno86

An equally likely possibility is pheromones in unicorn farts.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   
This would entirely depend on whether or not you view the alien as an organic life form or something else.

If the alien is a product of chemicals like we are, then there are limitations to the communication (such as they would likely not speak in such a high tone that could not be observed to other organic creatures). Additionally, the alien in this category would likely have a central nervous system (a brain) that would be flummoxed into being surrounded by strange sounds, and what they mean. Immersive learning would likely have to take place. The chance that an Alien would be present under this circumstance would definitely be a being that does understand communication of some advanced sort - or otherwise they would not be advanced enough to get here. So depending on the individual IQ of each, learning at a rate would be inevitable. If they are that advanced they may pick things up even faster than we can realize. But if they are low on the IQ in comparison to us, then they may have other means -- such as a dog trying to point something out to us can only look at it and scratch around - but it is unlikely an Alien would be low IQ as a dog.

Now if the Alien is something else (ethreal spirit, mix of biology and spirit, part mechanical and biological), then all bets are off on how communication would take place. But I can give this passing thought on the matter.... Anytime a ghost wants to say something the observer always understands what it is. So psyshic cannot be ruled out if it is not entirely organic life.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance

If an alien had some organ that sensed and manipulated minute variations in quantum gravity, it might communicate by shifting time in a pattern that represented things or actions in its environment.

edit on 27-8-2015 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

dude,why do you always make fun of other peoples ideas.....it is getting old for some people eh

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: hiddenNZ

Who's making fun of anyone? The member who I was responding to posited two possible methods that "otherworlders" hypothetically use to communicate with us. I was merely suggesting another, equally likely hypothetical method.

FYI, thought-conveying unicorn fart pheromones have been proven to be real. A YouTube video said so.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance

But you wouldn't have any close friends!

edit on 27-8-2015 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   

This was my first thought as well as I was reading the original post - time and time again we're told that ancient rock carvings done by cavemen, natives and even symbols akin to hieroglyphs were either the result of otherworldly visitors, or our interpretation of them. As for the laser holographic images, that's a little too Star Wars-esque for me.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

Did you watch Close Encounters of the Third Kind recently?
I'm joking. It could be a very plausible idea, though, because when you think about it, if you were to try and communicate with another human who didn't speak the same language by playing something that sounded happy - something in a major scale perhaps - they might understand how you're trying to come across. One would have to know the perceptions that extraterrestrials have towards music, I guess.

That's a really weird sounding short story for sure!

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Based on our current knowledge and tech, there's no way we'll be meeting aliens anywhere else but here in our Solar System. Yeah, we might well make some contact with them through interplanetary (or moons, or systems) signals, but that would take decades to send and receive messages.

Mathematics would be the obvious introduction. A simple symbol like a + is as easy to translate as an = sign. Communicating something as simple as 1+1=2 could be responded to with 2+2=4. It's baby steps, but how else would it begin? The use of shared symbols would act in a similar way to the Rosetta Stone where two distinct languages were bridged by a shared, understood language.

If we go off the idea that they're somewhere close and want to say hello, it's reasonable to speculate that they'd have done their homework. There's nothing to be gained by sending some message when they'd already know it would be gibberish to us. They'd probably work out a common language before making contact and it'd be English or Mandarin (Chinese).

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Hi and a very interesting premise here.
Allow me to take you on a tangent, if I may.
There are many so called alien languages one can find on the internet, here is simply one.
I refer to forgottenlanguages.

Forgotten Languages

Good luck by the way in your attempts to translate the articles, they use a rather indecipherable code.

A thread was made some years ago, which is a good starting point.
It is quite a long thread, still active and some 200+ pages long, with interaction by the supposed players of the site.

The thread is here: Vampires and language and all the rest

I suggest reading from the beginning, as there are many, many twists and turns.

Relevance perhaps to your question could be found in both the cassini diskus: Found here

and also the music videos: Ayndryl Reganah

Care should be taken when watching the music videos, as more than one person has reported adverse psychological effects from the frequencies used in some of the videos.

Just another rabbit hole to look into, I wish you well.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Communication through thoughts, is one possibility.

That's why the greys have "megamind's" or big bubble heads, very narrow jaw line and very very small mouths. Over time, the muscles around the jaw area have devolved because of the following:

1. They don't eat and sleep at all - lack of sleep means no eyelids, and also why the have big google eyes!
2. They don't use their mouths to talk

Greys

Peace

edit on 27-8-2015 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: liteonit6969

This brought me on to thinking what medium of communication would ET use and how would it be recognisable to our sensory awareness.

Need more caveats here.

If you mean a visiting alien from a different star system, or if we suddenly started receiving signals from a different planet (their radio waves suddenly was discovered and we could watch alien tv or we found some galactic wifi spot)

That second idea sounds like it would be a neat idea for a sci-fi book

Anyhow, back to the first concept. I suspect given the degree of technology needed to travel to different star systems, the way aliens would communicate with us would be..most likely in our own specific language either spoken or more like thoughts directly implanted through technology...
Keep in mind, the technology would be far superior to our own, to near unrecognizable levels of superiority to that of magic...and we already have translators
So, our first true chit chat would ultimately be through technology that we may not even perceive and call it simply magic (telepathy or something.)

As far as the alien internet we log onto..now that would be interesting, as that would be in their most comfortable medium, but for purposes of the question, the alien internet would have to be visual and/or audio in order for it to keep over time, and given symbols/visual is easier to create and can be used to express both simple and wildly complex things, this would be favored amongst the intelligent species early on, and developed the most.

so...alien alphabet not dissimilar to our own system of literacy seems likely

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

The Language of Vampyr was the first thing that crossed my mind.

I've always believed that a
good starting point in trying to communicate with aliens would be with forgotten languages. That is to say, languages that were once used but not anymore.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Peacetime

The fascinating thing about Forgotten languages, for me of course, is not the languages forgotten, but rather the language(s) being created.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

And how would following generations learn them?

Has anyone done any studies that pinpoint exactly how you and I pick up naturally the English language? If so, is that neurological process replicated when we learn a foreign language?

And what about some twins that make their own language?

The topic of language has always held my interest.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join