It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3rd-Grader Brings Gun To School, Accidentally Shoots Classmate

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Officials in Georgia say a third-grader who accidentally shot a classmate at school found the weapon while exploring his family's kitchen.

Richmond County Department of School Safety Chief Alfonzo Williams said in a statement the boy was looking around his house for a toy and found the gun hidden in a curio stand in the kitchen. Williams said he used a chair to climb onto a counter to get to the gun.

3rd-Grader Brings Gun To School, Accidentally Shoots Classmate

This is just stupid. If you're going to have guns in your house and have children. Keep the damn things locked up! I'm a proud gun owner with kids and they stay out of sight out of my mind, locked away, except for the one I carry.

The shooting happened Tuesday at Hornsby Elementary School in Augusta. Authorities said the child was playing with the gun inside a desk when it accidentally discharged, grazing a girl. School officials say she was treated at a hospital and released.

Should the owner(s) of the gun face criminal charges? Who knows, I think they should. You can't be a gun owner that's not responsible with young children.

Yes, maybe the individual thought they were being responsible by keeping out of reach but come on. We were all kids once and loving climbing on things.

Thankfully the girl didn't die.

Link

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: slapjacks

what in the hell are those parents doing having children? It's a miracle nobody was seriously injured, maybe this is the wakeup call that student's family (and community) needs

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Wow.

I agree the parents are responsible.

Some people shouldn't have weapons.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Should the owner(s) of the gun face criminal charges?

Definitely!!!
It is negligent to not properly secure firearms from people that shouldn't have them.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Stupid gun owner. These are the ones that give us good gun owners a bad name.....

Sucks for the kids involved too, but lucky there was not a serious injury.

Even though there are no guns accessible to children in my house, I check their bookbags every morning when I put their lunch boxes in there to make sure they are not bringing something to school they should not be bringing....pocket knife, ipad, etc...a gun would be the last thing I would expect.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

Should the owner(s) of the gun face criminal charges?

Definitely!!!
It is negligent to not properly secure firearms from people that shouldn't have them.

I agree.. Charge the parents with something..

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Nothing accidental about it, the gun did not load the bullets by itself.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I think they should force the parents into a " Gun safety at home with children " class and then maybe make them have to call the police office twice a day to confirm their firearm is locked up and in a safe place for a few months.

Good way to help them not forget again.

I mean, how can you do such a thing? It's only a tool that can kill you, you don't leave power saws plugged in if you have young kids, so why would you have a firearm just hanging around like a ps3 controller.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: soulpowertothendegree

So your opinion is that the kid purposely shot his classmate? Pretty evil little 8 year old there I guess.....

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   

I'm not a gun owner, and never even used one! I can understand how some people would want to access their guns quickly if there was ever a home invasion or robbery. If they were locked away in a gun cabinet you would have to make sure you could get to the key quickly, or even make it to the gun cabinet.

I think it's part of the dangers of owning a gun. Especially if you have children or grand children. Kids always seem to get into things and you can't keep your eyes on them at all times.

I would say this family was negligent. As a parent, you should always be thinking about the worst case scenario when it comes to your kids. You should always take measures to eliminate any possibility that your child or visiting grandchildren couldn't gain access to such a deadly weapon. Can't you have trigger locks put on these guns?

Owning a gun takes a lot of responsibility. I wouldn't be able to live with myself knowing my child shot himself or a classmate because of my negligence. Thank god this girl was only grazed and she's alright. I'm sure this gun owner learned his lesson the hard way.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Did they stop adding safety switches to weapons or something? Or are these parents a bit irresponsible

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tranceopticalinclined
I think they should force the parents into a " Gun safety at home with children " class and then maybe make them have to call the police office twice a day to confirm their firearm is locked up and in a safe place for a few months.

Good way to help them not forget again.

I mean, how can you do such a thing? It's only a tool that can kill you, you don't leave power saws plugged in if you have young kids, so why would you have a firearm just hanging around like a ps3 controller.

I am not against mandatory firearms training for new firearms owners.
Most states require a hunters safety course be taken before a person purchases their first hunting license.
Education is a good thing.

link   
I think we should put metal detectors at every entry point of every school and make Wal-Mart pay for it.

link   
Keeping a gun in a cabinet, out of a child's (normal) reach wouldn't be a big issue in and of itself, if it weren't loaded. If you're going to keep a loaded weapon in a house with children, it needs to be kept where there's no possible way for a child to access it. Period.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Stupid gun owner indeed. I would think the local DA will press charges of negligence of some sort.

The child's not too bright, either. ...and no, I'm not blaming the kid for the negligence of the parents.

A third grader is what between 8-9 years old? Old enough to know you don't take a gun to school...I mean, c'mon.

I knew what guns were when I was in the third grade, and I also knew that they were totally off limits, unless Dad, Mom, or Grandpa was with me.

Parents bear the vast majority of the blame, the kid is just being a dumb kid. Thank god no one was injured. I venture to guess that kid learned a serious lesson...

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I was educated about firearms at a very young age.
I knew that every gun was loaded.... because they actually were loaded. I knew better than to touch any of the (usually more than half a dozen) guns that were in plain sight, such as standing in a corner, not only because they were loaded, but if I bumped into one and knocked it over, I would be in big trouble if it affected the sights on the gun!

It isn't like this at my house for my children, but it did work for me. I could have taken a gun to school if I wanted, but I didn't... mostly because my parents taught me right from wrong.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Kuroodo

A bit, yes...

I can't even imagine my parents being that stupidly negligent. Our guns, even mine, were in their bedroom on the top shelf of the closet, and that was totally off limits upon pain of unspecified, but painful, death and dismemberment. Or just a spanking that wouldn't soon be forgotten... Odd, I never pressed the issue...

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
Stupid gun owner. These are the ones that give us good gun owners a bad name.....

Sucks for the kids involved too, but lucky there was not a serious injury.

Even though there are no guns accessible to children in my house, I check their bookbags every morning when I put their lunch boxes in there to make sure they are not bringing something to school they should not be bringing....pocket knife, ipad, etc...a gun would be the last thing I would expect.

EXACTLY, they make the responsible ones look just as bad for simply owning a gun.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Kuroodo

last time i checked safety catches were not "child proof"

very sad story caused by idiot parents not storing a LOADED fire arm in a safe place.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: soulpowertothendegree

I'd say 95% will lean towards accident. We know where the other %5 will come from. My guns stay loaded (locked away of course) nothing in the chamber except for the one I carry.

Accidents happen... One time i shot myself in the shin with a ..22LR

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join