It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops shut down Jerry Seinfelds charity lemonade stand

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
So we pick and choose which laws/rules we'll follow now? Cool. Good to hear.

If a rule/law is stupid, which this is, get it changed. Go to a city council/county commissioners meeting and make yourself heard. Get involved. Or is it more important to watch those Seinfeld reruns you're so fond of?

Bad rules and laws can be changed. All it takes is work.

Probly too busy working to raise the funds to pay for the permits required to put up a lemonade stand...home of the brave, land of the free...

Å99
edit on 27-8-2015 by akushla99 because: Addd

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: akushla99

So you allow it to continue.

...and thus, you get the govt. you deserve. Well done.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Hey, I agree...but binary choice between the same monkey logic, gets you monkey logic...

...I'd posit a guess that not everyone has the time to bash their head against a brick wall, too busy 'livin' the dream' of capitalism...without stepping on anyones' special snowflake toes...

Å99

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

A fishing permit generally states how many fish you are allowed to catch.

Here in Alaska where fishing is a big darn deal, individuals like me have to fill out where/when we catch our king salmon. We are allowed to catch so many per year, based on how healthy the population is. If you're caught with more fish in your cooler than what your permit thing says...

And in some small streams, yes one person can kill off an entire run of fish.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Feel free to live in a gated community that has its own laws.

Remember, we can't have a police state.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

Here in Alaska where fishing is a big darn deal, individuals like me have to fill out where/when we catch our king salmon. We are allowed to catch so many per year, based on how healthy the population is. If you're caught with more fish in your cooler than what your permit thing says...

I buy a fishing license every year , how does that stop me from catching more? or keeping something under length?

any one with an ID can get a fishing license.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   
double post
edit on 27-8-2015 by alienjuggalo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Well yea, I mean ATS comments don't write themselves. Somebody has to do it.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: alienjuggalo

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

I buy a fishing license every year , how does that stop me from catching more? or keeping something under length?

any one with an ID can get a fishing license.

...or poisoning an environment with effluent from legal factories, oil cartels...oh wait, lemonade stands...

Å99

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

True enough.

Although, I've written over 25000 posts, and climbing; yet I still find time to go to city council meetings, county commissioner meetings, and the like, even occasional school board meetings. I even watch reruns.

I, along with others have gotten plans changed. Streets that needed work, got work done, because we went to those meetings and essentially made pests of ourselves, until the plans were revised.

It's a wonderful way to make enemies, too. I pissed off a county commissioner so much, he had the county weed control officer send me a notice that my grass was too long...in February.

If people aren't willing to do the work of governing, they really shouldn't complain too loudly when govt. goes over the top.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Want to open a simple lemonade stand in NYC heres what you have to do. OH but its about safety of the children lololol

) Register as sole proprietor with the County Clerk's Office (must be done in person)

2) Apply to the IRS for an Employer Identification Number

3) Complete 15-hr Food Protection Course!

4) After the course, register for an exam that takes 1 hr. You must score 70 percent to pass. (Sample question: "What toxins are associated with the puffer fish?") If you pass, allow 3-5 weeks for delivery of Food Protection Certificate.

5) Register for sales tax Certificate of Authority

6) Apply for a Temporary Food Service Establishment Permit. Must bring copies of the previous documents and completed forms to the Consumer Affairs Licensing Center.

Then, at least 21 days before opening your establishment, you must:

Arrange for an inspection with the Health Department's Bureau of Food Safety and Community Sanitation. It takes about 3 weeks to get your appointment. If you pass, you can set up a business once you:

- Buy a portable fire extinguisher from a company certified by the FDNY and set up a contract for waste disposal.

- We couldn't finish the process. Had we been able to schedule our health inspection and open my stand legally, it would have taken us 65 days.

www.foxnews.com...

Yes. That's pretty much the case in any state. Otherwise, any Tom, Dick and Mary could bottle their home recipes of BBQ Sauce, Egg Nog, Baked Quiche.......you get the (Salmonella) drift! It is a process that was always meant to be for our protection, no matter how convoluted the process may seem to be these days.

However, to avoid all the Health Dept stuff, it would have been easy enough for the Seinfelds to have acquired a pre-bottled or canned beverage, they could even stick their own labels on them, and resell them for profit in the name of their charity. As another posted said, Jerry Seinfeld could have made more money just selling signed lemons on the side of the road, but he still would have needed a permit.

edit on 27-8-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

Want to open a simple lemonade stand in NYC heres what you have to do. OH but its about safety of the children lololol

) Register as sole proprietor with the County Clerk's Office (must be done in person)

2) Apply to the IRS for an Employer Identification Number

3) Complete 15-hr Food Protection Course!

4) After the course, register for an exam that takes 1 hr. You must score 70 percent to pass. (Sample question: "What toxins are associated with the puffer fish?") If you pass, allow 3-5 weeks for delivery of Food Protection Certificate.

5) Register for sales tax Certificate of Authority

6) Apply for a Temporary Food Service Establishment Permit. Must bring copies of the previous documents and completed forms to the Consumer Affairs Licensing Center.

Then, at least 21 days before opening your establishment, you must:

Arrange for an inspection with the Health Department's Bureau of Food Safety and Community Sanitation. It takes about 3 weeks to get your appointment. If you pass, you can set up a business once you:

- Buy a portable fire extinguisher from a company certified by the FDNY and set up a contract for waste disposal.

- We couldn't finish the process. Had we been able to schedule our health inspection and open my stand legally, it would have taken us 65 days.

www.foxnews.com...

Yes. That's pretty much the case in any state. Otherwise, any Tom, Dick and Mary could bottle their home recipes of BBQ Sauce, Egg Nog, Baked Quiche.......you get the (Salmonella) drift! It is a process that was always meant to be for our protection, no matter how convoluted the process may seem to be these days.

However, to avoid all the Health Dept stuff, it would have been easy enough for the Seinfelds to have acquired a pre-bottled or canned beverage, they could even stick their own labels on them, and resell them for profit in the name of their charity. As another posted said, Jerry Seinfeld could have made more money just selling signed lemons on the side of the road, but he still would have needed a permit.

...and yet would need a permit to set up a stand selling nothing, bring your own lemons, sugar...this has little to do with JS, and has little to do with public safety...this is an inappropriate use of bylaws for vexatious reasons.

Å99

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

However, to avoid all the Health Dept stuff, it would have been easy enough for the Seinfelds to have acquired a pre-bottled or canned beverage, they could even stick their own labels on them, and resell them for profit in the name of their charity.

You can't even take home made cookies or cupcakes to school anymore - - - if its going to be consumed by the kids.

Has to be store bought.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Seinfeld’s son, Julian, and two friends set up the stand last week to raise money for Baby Buggy. Baby Buggy is a charity started by Seinfeld’s wife Jessica to provide kids’ clothing and baby equipment to needy families.

Looks as thought the kids started it.

Happened in Texas because the state laws prohibits certain (but not all) food products being sold in this manner due to the health code for time and temperature requirements that needs to be meet. Not about a permit either.
edit on 8/27/2015 by roadgravel because: typo

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Bad rules and laws can be changed. All it takes is work.

What constitutes a bad rule or law? It's subjective, even on this thread posters have agreed that lemonade stands should have a permit.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: eManym
With Seinfeld making over a billion dollars off of his comedy sitcom and investments, couldn't he just make a donation from his own funds. What idiocy of him.

My guess would be that it was more about teaching the kids a lesson than the money.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: jaws1975

Of course it's subjective.

But if enough people agree a law sucks, then it can be changed. If there's no one willing to say it's bad, and put work into changing it, it must not be a bad one then.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6 No soup for you. Next!

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: kenzohattori69
a reply to: Shamrock6 No soup for you. Next!

It's August. Soup isn't on my menu anyway.

Lulz.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

But if enough people agree a law sucks, then it can be changed. If there's no one willing to say it's bad, and put work into changing it, it must not be a bad one then.

That may be true in some cases, but if it is a law that generates revenue for a governmental bureaucracy, good luck getting that changed.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join