It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops shut down Jerry Seinfelds charity lemonade stand

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Want to build a fence on your own property guess what? you need a permit.

How about dig a hole and fix your own sewage pipe yep get a permit.

Wanna have a garage sell get a permit.

Want to go fishing gotta have a permit.

hunting get a parmit.

Im pretty sure its about revenue and that is all its about

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Annee:

Annoying as it can be, there is a reason for laws that require you to get a permit.

Yes.

It's called taking money from anyone they can.

Jude
edit on 27-8-2015 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   

edit on 27-8-2015 by akushla99 because: Dp

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Telos

originally posted by: jude11
I would complain about him being the most unfunny comedian to ever grace a stage or screen.

But not the lemonade stand.

Jude

No TV network would run a 9 season sitcom if it isn't funny or successful. I guess millions of dollars he got paid for, for being unfunny would argue harshly with you...lo

We could use the same logic for a lot of reality shows out there my friend. Or a lot of movies, tv shows, McDonalds, Pet Rocks, Toe Socks...

Just because they are popular doesn't make them great does it?

Jude

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: alienjuggalo

I would complain about him being the most unfunny comedian to ever grace a stage or screen.

But not the lemonade stand.

Jude

Wow really? Seinfeld really grew on me.. Now I watch the reruns all the time..

The supporting cast made the show. Without them it would have bust IMO.

I tried many times to watch the show and I just couldn't get past his bad acting and whiny little voice.

Jude

I'm not an apologist for JS...but there would have been no 'supporting' cast without the material having been written...all of a sudden though, it's JS who is responsible holus bolus for 'breaking the law' - what about the 'supporting' cast?...and what of the recipients of the funds raised?

Å99

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

The neighbor sounds like the sort of person who made me resign blind respect to authority and community. I am not civilized, I am human.

Should have tried to find out who it is and slash heir tires or burn down their kids club house. Just saying, all bets are off when you peek into my life.

Doesnt sound like that neighbor belongs in that community. Someone should run them out of town.

In a natural world, this person would have to deal with the consequences of his actions and those they affect. Not the cops on his behalf.

edit on 8 27 2015 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Everything you do has some kind of impact on someone else. That's part of living in a civilized society, realizing that our actions have consequences, sometimes upon other people.

What if you dig a hole and hit an underground utility connection and your neighbors power goes out?

What if you aren't a good fence builder, and it looks horrible -- lowering your neighbors property value?

What if you are greedy and over fish a stream, and it's population never recovers?

What if you hunt out of season, and keep animals from having offspring?

As I said before -- being part of society and having nice things like roads to drive on, hospitals to go to, fire department trucks to show up and so on ... that all comes at a cost called a "social contract".

EDIT: We wouldn't have the internet of a place like ATS if it wasn't for the social contracts we make, enabling civilized society. So without those, none of us would be having this discussion in the first place.
edit on 27-8-2015 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

It's "peeking in your life" when somebody observes you doing something in a public setting?

Interesting.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Well, it seems the cops didn't turn up Until a neighbour complained? Sounds pretty childish to me.

I'm presuming it was spoiling the neighbour's view of the sea...come to think of it, if Jerry's house is all of 12 acres..WTF!
What was it like when Billy Joel lived there, going around starting fires.

edit on 27-8-2015 by smurfy because: Text.

link   
You guys are all messed up, everyone that thinks permits and laws should be required for a boy and girl to squeeze lemons into some water and add some sugar and sell it.

Disgusting what you (those who are of that mindset) have become, and are.

Land of the free?

Think again. Land of the imprisoned and shackled, and amazingly a lot of you want it.

link   
You guys are all messed up, everyone that thinks permits and laws should be required for a boy and girl to squeeze lemons into some water and add some sugar and sell it.

Disgusting what you (those who are of that mindset) have become, and are.

Land of the free?

Think again. Land of the imprisoned and shackled, and amazingly a lot of you want it.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

What if you dig a hole and hit an underground utility connection and your neighbors power goes out?

Thats why they have 1 800 dig right

What if you aren't a good fence builder, and it looks horrible -- lowering your neighbors property value?

do you have to be a good fence builder to get a permit? I got one and I suck at it.

What if you are greedy and over fish a stream, and it's population never recovers?

That is really stretching it. Hoe does a permit force me to catch less?

edit on 27-8-2015 by alienjuggalo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

I would have thought that someone as socially prominent as Jerry Seinfeld's wife would be savvy enough to have secured the proper permits, etc. before setting up a fundraising "Lemonade Stand".

Oh watch out, he might make more millions off of his illegal "Lemonade Stand". You people amaze me everyday. I don't know one person that would waste time to get a permit for a lemonade stand. But, if they are gonna require permits for something this small, they might as well require it for Garage/Yard sales as well. Maybe they already do and just nobody follows that law either. All I do know is this is #ing stupid.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   
This is like karma 101. People blame today's children for lack of values, lack of savings, and a lack of frugality. People blame kids for being an entitled generation who doesn't want to work for what they have or be thankful for what they have. Well, it's a general notion that the younger children are when principles are taught, the better they stick.

So we've no one to blame but ourselves when a simple lesson like starting a lemonade stand to afford that bike, candy, videogame is denied because our heads are too far up our butts to let them learn the lesson to go out and work for what you want.

Yeah... people blame the kids. I blame the grown ups.

edit on 8/27/2015 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace
This is like karma 101. People blame today's children for lack of values, lack of savings, and a lack of frugality. People blame kids for being an entitled generation who doesn't want to work for what they have or be thankful for what they have. Well, it's a general notion that the children are when principles are taught, the better they stick.

So we've no one to blame but ourselves when a simple lesson like starting a lemonade stand to afford that bike, candy, videogame is denied because our heads are too far up our butts to let them learn the lesson to go out and work for what you want.

I blame people like that neighbor that called the cops.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: amicktd

originally posted by: EternalSolace
This is like karma 101. People blame today's children for lack of values, lack of savings, and a lack of frugality. People blame kids for being an entitled generation who doesn't want to work for what they have or be thankful for what they have. Well, it's a general notion that the children are when principles are taught, the better they stick.

I blame people like that neighbor that called the cops.

Yeah...because someone like JS is going to spike their lemonade with poison or alcool...best PR exercise...ever...lol

Å99

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I would say this may just have been on purpose. Jerry irritates neighbor, neighbor calls cops, he posts a pic and the fundraiser gets MUCH more publicity and $$$$$ comes rolling in. But that's just me.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Want to open a simple lemonade stand in NYC heres what you have to do. OH but its about safety of the children lololol

) Register as sole proprietor with the County Clerk's Office (must be done in person)

2) Apply to the IRS for an Employer Identification Number

3) Complete 15-hr Food Protection Course!

4) After the course, register for an exam that takes 1 hr. You must score 70 percent to pass. (Sample question: "What toxins are associated with the puffer fish?") If you pass, allow 3-5 weeks for delivery of Food Protection Certificate.

5) Register for sales tax Certificate of Authority

6) Apply for a Temporary Food Service Establishment Permit. Must bring copies of the previous documents and completed forms to the Consumer Affairs Licensing Center.

Then, at least 21 days before opening your establishment, you must:

Arrange for an inspection with the Health Department's Bureau of Food Safety and Community Sanitation. It takes about 3 weeks to get your appointment. If you pass, you can set up a business once you:

- Buy a portable fire extinguisher from a company certified by the FDNY and set up a contract for waste disposal.

- We couldn't finish the process. Had we been able to schedule our health inspection and open my stand legally, it would have taken us 65 days.

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
So we pick and choose which laws/rules we'll follow now? Cool. Good to hear.

If a rule/law is stupid, which this is, get it changed. Go to a city council/county commissioners meeting and make yourself heard. Get involved. Or is it more important to watch those Seinfeld reruns you're so fond of?

Bad rules and laws can be changed. All it takes is work.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: alienjuggalo
Want to open a simple lemonade stand in NYC heres what you have to do. OH but its about safety of the children lololol

) Register as sole proprietor with the County Clerk's Office (must be done in person)

2) Apply to the IRS for an Employer Identification Number

3) Complete 15-hr Food Protection Course!

4) After the course, register for an exam that takes 1 hr. You must score 70 percent to pass. (Sample question: "What toxins are associated with the puffer fish?") If you pass, allow 3-5 weeks for delivery of Food Protection Certificate.

5) Register for sales tax Certificate of Authority

6) Apply for a Temporary Food Service Establishment Permit. Must bring copies of the previous documents and completed forms to the Consumer Affairs Licensing Center.

Then, at least 21 days before opening your establishment, you must:

Arrange for an inspection with the Health Department's Bureau of Food Safety and Community Sanitation. It takes about 3 weeks to get your appointment. If you pass, you can set up a business once you:

- Buy a portable fire extinguisher from a company certified by the FDNY and set up a contract for waste disposal.

- We couldn't finish the process. Had we been able to schedule our health inspection and open my stand legally, it would have taken us 65 days.

www.foxnews.com...

...but, but, but...it's about safety...

Å99

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join