It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada Bans Off-Grid Living

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   
In this board we've discussed wildly about off the grid living and how we've seen some attempts to either ban that from the governments in North America or control that. After a similar topic last year when few families in Quebec were put under scrutiny from the local government because they were growing vegetables on their own yards, this year it seams canadian government has decided to step in again and bring the issue even further more to absurdity.

It is illegal for Cheryl Smith to live in her own home because it doesn’t have electricity.

Officials in Clark’s Harbour, Nova Scotia, are refusing to give Smith a certificate of occupancy to live in her new house because it has no power. She since has stopped working on the home.

“Why am I being forced to rely on electricity or fossil fuels or whatever if I don’t want to?” Smith asked CTV.

Smith cannot get a certificate of occupancy because national building codes in Canada require new homes to have wiring for smoke detectors and ventilation systems.

www.offthegridnews.com...

edit on 27-8-2015 by Telos because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Telos
So install a few solar panels to power the fans and smoke detectors.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Pretty scary. I don't know how anyone can defend this as anything other than the electric company making sure they get their piece of the pie.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   

I suppose I just don't understand why any country would or should tell any person that they can't live "Off the grid"

We are people, this is our planet, we should be able to roam free as we please, no one should have to live in a house that has electricity or even plumbing if that isn't what they want.... don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want people letting their house turn into a poop pit either, but if they can manage the upkeep and what not... then what is the big freaking deal?

Is there a valid reason why anyone should not be able to live "off the grid"?
-Alee

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Telos
In this board we've discussed wildly about off the grid living and how we've seen some attempts to either ban that from the governments in North America or control that. After a similar topic last year when few families in Quebec were put under scrutiny from the local government because they were growing vegetables on their own yards, this year it seams canadian government has decided to step in again and bring the issue even further more to absurdity.

It is illegal for Cheryl Smith to live in her own home because it doesn’t have electricity.

Officials in Clark’s Harbour, Nova Scotia, are refusing to give Smith a certificate of occupancy to live in her new house because it has no power. She since has stopped working on the home.

“Why am I being forced to rely on electricity or fossil fuels or whatever if I don’t want to?” Smith asked CTV.

Smith cannot get a certificate of occupancy because national building codes in Canada require new homes to have wiring for smoke detectors and ventilation systems.

If you're really off the grid they wouldn't even know how to locate you to ban what you're doing.
edit on 27-8-2015 by Reallyfolks because: Spelling

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   
In reality, it has nothing to do with smoke detectors and ventilation systems. It's about the revenue generated by living on the grid. They can't tax you for utilities if you're not using them. If everyone were self sustainable, it would destroy society... until they start taxing us for air.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Canada isn't banning off the grid living as your title suggests.

Planning regulations simply states new house builds need smoke and carbon monoxide detectors...
I dont see a big problem here...

She can buy battery operated ones or if that doesn't meet the rules and regs she can, as someone has pointed out, stick up either a solar panel or a small wind turbine or run a generator.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Telos

Wow. So many people butt heads when they could just work the system.

Someone has gotten occupancy for a yurt. Why is she having problems.

These people think they are "off grid" but they want way too much, and have no clue how to get it. Easier to just do the paperwork.

Why does every one of these 'Gvt X Bans Off grid living' threads amount to code enforcement issues and never legislation?

I get the de facto ban concept, I don't think this type of situation qualifies.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Being a builder, I can bet that a person could not get occupancy in a house here without having smoke detectors and certain other stuff in place.

Even camps have to have smoke detectors but I think they would allow battery ones yet. The smoke detectors are in the electric code so if no electric, no code.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: ISawItFirst

Because the codes are making it illegal to live off the grid, these codes are designed to keep people hooked up to the gird and generate revenue. Alot of the codes claim to be for your safety but there are other ways to do the same thing that won't meet code for some reason or another because they won't make money for the state.

link   
a reply to: Reallyfolks
this

i am off the grid and the gov has no clue how to reach me .

for all intents and purposes i am dead to the gov.

they will never find me or catch me . that is if they realize one day i am even still here. i am a ghost .

dont like the grid you dont have to be on it but dont bitch when you cant have all the luxuries that come with it

living off the grid isnt easy

link   
There's lots of people living without standard electricity throughout northern Canada and the prairies. Solar, wind, I've even seen a water wheel over a creek/river supplying electrical. Wood stoves and composting toilets, outhouses....

It's a lot of work in the winter in the north, but it's not banned.

Many farm houses only have electric - no gas hookups, no phone (cell only), well water and septic. You're allowed to still live there if you disconnect the electrical, as long as there's no safety issues.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   

If she wants public services, like fire fighter, ambulance, etc.

Then she needs the proper things, pure and simple.

As somebody else, stated, if you want to live off the grid, fend for yourself.

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Didn't think Canada would be *poped* i was wrong.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Ah...the yearly, I didn't do a lick of research so now I'm gonna whine about it in the hopes of getting my way.

There is no law in Canada that requires you to get your utilities from the local authorities.

There is, however, many laws that cover health and safety, which she is in breach of, which require you to have utilities. So, you don't have to purchase electricity, if you can generate your own. Water, the same, but please note that you will have to take care of your own testing and treatment. Sewage, same. Heat...well, if you aren't buying from a gas supplier, you are pretty much restricted to cellulose based boilers or electricity....rough.

As for the stab at the electrical companies 'making sure they get their piece of the pie'...laughable. One of the local electricity providers (Alberta) not only verified that my house was up to code, after I installed my own generation, they also provided FREE analysis, consultation, and adjustment.

They also made sure that all of my paperwork, for selling the excess, was in order.

They went out of their way to make sure that I got my piece of the pie...those bastards!

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Another_Nut
a reply to: Reallyfolks
this

i am off the grid and the gov has no clue how to reach me .

for all intents and purposes i am dead to the gov.

they will never find me or catch me . that is if they realize one day i am even still here. i am a ghost .

dont like the grid you dont have to be on it but dont bitch when you cant have all the luxuries that come with it

living off the grid isnt easy

For a ghost you sure talk enough.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Another_Nut
Way to go isp address!

Take a look outside your window. Look higher, up past that cloud…
There!

Wow, you need a shave!

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

If she wants public services, like fire fighter, ambulance, etc.

Then she needs the proper things, pure and simple.

As somebody else, stated, if you want to live off the grid, fend for yourself.

~Tenth

Taxes on the property and other things pay for what you have mentioned. No connection to the issue.

Who determines what is the "proper" way to live your life?

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

not as much as you would think

a reply to: FinalCountdown

i only use free wifi or , very occasionally , i use my phone as a hot spot.

so while they may be able to get me down the the parking lot i am using thats as close as they will get.

but thats only if they ever come looking . which i doubt they will.

i am truly off the grid or ,as i have put it in the past , i am an urban camper.

edit on pm820153112America/ChicagoThu, 27 Aug 2015 12:32:45 -0500_8000000 by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Not sure but I've been told you are not allowed to move into a home / apartment in Phoenix, AZ unless you provide proof of basic utilities.

I assume you could use a generator if it provides acceptable power but what about sewage?

In my opinion I think people should use a public company to dispose of their bodily.....waste.

Just wouldn't want to wake up some morning and see "cousin Eddie" empty his crapper.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join