It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More than 2,500 benefit claimants die after being found fit for work in just two years

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+37 more 
posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Iain Duncan Smith has begrudgingly released figures relating to the number of people who have died, soon after being found fit for work by the DWP. This comes on the back of an online petition, which had been signed by over 250,000 people, calling for the DWP to release the figures.

The official figure, which was hidden within the official figures released today relating to Immigration, stands at 2,650 between December 2011 and February 2014.

That's 2,650 people dying shortly after being found fit for work by an organisation contracted by the Government, to determine people's fitness to return to work. An organisation that was undoubtedly well rewarded for doing so.

So when you see the smirking Tories continually beating the 'work will make you better' drum, remember the 2,650 people that had died during that time frame and undoubtedly the many more that have died since February 2014.

RIP The innocent victims of Austere measures, you were a price worth paying in the eyes of Iain Duncan Smith and Co.

www.mirror.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

Thats truly sad. I cant help but think that the people who abuse the system are also to blame. There wouldnt be such an effort to weed out liars if there werent TOO MANY to ignore. I have not met a citizen of the UK that was on the doll for no good reason, but I have seen and heard about them online and through my friends from over seas.

I once saw a TV show from the UK about dead beat dads. Some of those people who came up on stage made me want to punch my TV.

I think there should be a review from time to time to see how people who were on assistance are making out. You cant just throw people into the mix after years in some cases of not working. You need to start them off slow and allow them time to fall into place. If they dont you see why and fix the issue or revert your prior assessment of their current ability to work.

Just my thoughts.

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   

The system is cruel and broken. Part of the problem is we are inundated with stories of benefit cheats in the media and there seems to be an awful lot of documentaries of a reality kind that enforces that belief to the general population, so get little sympathy.

There are horror stories of people on Job seekers allowance, having their benefits suspended for very questionable reasons.

Typical Tory attitude of fixing the economy by targeting the poorest, making them seem like the evil in our society whilst making the rich richer.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   

I'm one of those people, but I ain't dead yet.

I'm a determined survivor. Through every storm Captain Revolution9 sails his pirate ship.

Sorry to hear that so many are finding the situation so unbearable. We must be strong.

Trained by the best you see...

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   

This comes hot on the heals of the admission of inventing quotes from supposed former benefit claimants.
IDS was a piss poor leader of the Tories and he's a piss poor secretary of state , Cameron knows it but is to weak to move him.

I doubt there will be any tears shed over dead claimants at Tory HQ.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

The media who are in the pockets of TPTB love a good welfare story and unfortunately they like to exaggerate the extent of the problem. But people are beginning to see through this tactic.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

IDS was a weak Tory leader, but he is an evil Bastard that seems to get off on punishing the genuine claimants.

Austerity is BS, the deficit is BS, but see the smiling Tory front bench every time an announcement is made about welfare cuts.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

Good for you Revolution9, long may you sail that ship.

+13 more 
posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

m.youtube.com...
edit on 27-8-2015 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

Spot on, but most of the Tax evaders contribute funds directly to the Political Parties, so.....

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978
Iain Duncan Smith has begrudgingly released figures relating to the number of people who have died, soon after being found fit for work by the DWP. This comes on the back of an online petition, which had been signed by over 250,000 people, calling for the DWP to release the figures.

The official figure, which was hidden within the official figures released today relating to Immigration, stands at 2,650 between December 2011 and February 2014.

That's 2,650 people dying shortly after being found fit for work by an organisation contracted by the Government, to determine people's fitness to return to work. An organisation that was undoubtedly well rewarded for doing so.

So when you see the smirking Tories continually beating the 'work will make you better' drum, remember the 2,650 people that had died during that time frame and undoubtedly the many more that have died since February 2014.

RIP The innocent victims of Austere measures, you were a price worth paying in the eyes of Iain Duncan Smith and Co.

www.mirror.co.uk...

So, should only unfit for work people die two years after they were judged to be? Don't people of any physical condition run the risk of dying within a two year period?

It's a weird correlation to make isn't it? Are you saying with 100% certainty that being classed as fit to work led to them dying?

Obviously you are quoting from the Mirror so it will twist as it likes to blame the Tories for anything, but please show how cause of death was intrinsically linked to being judged fit for work and I'll consider it a balanced opinion.

ETA: Actually, you can't show the correlation as there hasn't been a breakdown of cause of death...

www.bbc.co.uk...
edit on 27-8-2015 by uncommitted because: As per ETA

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: uncommitted

www.mirror.co.uk...

So, should only unfit for work people die two years after they were judged to be? Don't people of any physical condition run the risk of dying within a two year period?

It's a weird correlation to make isn't it? Are you saying with 100% certainty that being classed as fit to work led to them dying?

Obviously you are quoting from the Mirror so it will twist as it likes to blame the Tories for anything, but please show how cause of death was intrinsically linked to being judged fit for work and I'll consider it a balanced opinion.

ETA: Actually, you can't show the correlation as there hasn't been a breakdown of cause of death...

www.bbc.co.uk...

Yeah, I'm sure it's just a coincidence

By the way, these are the figures being attributed by the DWP, official figures, although I'm sure it's probably higher. As having worked within the DWP, I know exactly how the figures are massaged to suit the preferred outcome.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: uncommitted

www.mirror.co.uk...

www.bbc.co.uk...

Yeah, I'm sure it's just a coincidence

By the way, these are the figures being attributed by the DWP, official figures, although I'm sure it's probably higher. As having worked within the DWP, I know exactly how the figures are massaged to suit the preferred outcome.

So that's a 'no' then? Being in an accident, heart attack, non related illness, whatever whatever whatever - I'm not being cold here, it's a number, without any indication of cause it's nothing more than a statistic to be used as people please.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Remember the 2,650 people that had died during that time frame and undoubtedly the many more that have died since February 2014.

What is the percentage? If they reviewed 250,000 people that would mean about 1%....If they reviewed 5000 then that would be a whopping 50%, kind of a big difference there even when the number of people who died is the same.

edit on 27-8-2015 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: uncommitted

As I said, they were reluctant to release the figures, but the DWP have decided that these are the official figures relating to claimants that died after being found fit for work.

I'm not sure if they would have released cause of death, because that would probably hi-light the number of suicides.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   

a reply to: uncommitted

As I said, they were reluctant to release the figures, but the DWP have decided that these are the official figures relating to claimants that died after being found fit for work.

I'm not sure if they would have released cause of death, because that would probably hi-light the number of suicides.

Number of suicides in and of itself cannot be correlated directly with their being fit to work, that is speculation and nothing else. Xtrozero raises an interesting point though - and I can tell you like statistics - what proportion of people judged fit to work in the same time period does this equate to?

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Hi.
Being someone who is disabled to the point normal life of work and fun is gone I have no choice to sign on for disibility. Although I shouldn't be but I'm embarrassed and feel the media is turning towards making the unemployed the criminals. Just look at many of the rubbish on tv with drug addicts and similar.
The money I get goes on food and clothing and some towards rent. I don't drink or smoke or have any real luxuries. However I honestly feel that many people (including myself) may be receiving too much money. It sickens me to see those who are sick and unfit for work but also budget their money shockingly. For example the newest phones, tv subscriptions, smoking, alcohol and drugs. Now that may only be a small number of people but it is a reality where I live.
No one is entitled to luxury from the top down. A war is being created separating the haves from the have nots. An a resentment will spill over into violence.
Finally I the number of people pushed to the edge by the government agencies is frightening. I know a lot about what goes on in those interviews and have seen people dying with cancer being declared fit for work. Unfortunately it is an unfair system and those who know how to play it will ruin it for all in real need.

So to conclude the main people to blame are those such as ids. But also those who manipulate the system are also responsible for these deaths.
Here's a tip.....become self sufficient. Grow your own...make your own... and pull away from the rotten tit of the government. I hope I will by studying every night when I can't sleep from the pain.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   
But I watched a show called big fat benefit wedding on channel 5 and people on benefits dare get married. It made me so mad I had to go and leave a comment on Twitter Facebook and the daily mail comment section. Livid I was

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I know two personally who have died whilst sanctioned or found fit for work. one was a suicide after being sanctioned for the second time, the other declared fit for work when he wasn't fit to walk. Died of organ failure whilst waiting to hear of his appeal.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
But I watched a show called big fat benefit wedding on channel 5 and people on benefits dare get married. It made me so mad I had to go and leave a comment on Twitter Facebook and the daily mail comment section. Livid I was

I have never watched one of those shows. I hear enough people ranting about them to the point the veins are sticking out from their necks.

Did you happen to catch Dogs on Benefits....you gotta laugh. I have counted at least 10 benefit related shows and i aint even trying.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join