It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New law permits North Dakota cop drones to fire beanbag rounds from the sky

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Legal experts are very concerned that a new North Dakota law which allows law enforcement drones to be armed with so-called less-than-lethal weapons—including stun guns and beanbag rounds—could be highly problematic.

New law permits North Dakota cop drones to fire beanbag rounds from the sky

Here we go, folks, drones with "non-lethal" weapons are finally able to patrol the sky’s at home. According to the article 39 American's have died this year from "non-lethal" weapons, which is probably about the same that have died from "acts of terrorism." The Orwellian police state is here, and is now about to be reinforced with AI controlled quad-copters.
Imagine how fun it is now to shoot protesters with non-lethal weapons. They would, of course, do it remotely, and I'm sure it would be just like a video game. Where does the responsibility lie? Oops, it malfunctioned, not my fault!

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: v1rtu0s0

What kind of drones are these, your typical remote controlled devices or larger?

I ask because if i lived in the US and owned a gun this would be excellent target practice. Just keep shooting them out the sky.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Amerika.
Land of the free, home of the controlled.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   
If this keeps the cops from murdering someone then I don't see a problem.

They could add a mace dispenser on this too.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I did a thread last year which spoke about the implementation of non-lethal force. It was my second thread so its kind of weak, but everything is laid out and its not hard to see where we're headed. The state is ready to adopt and develop a robust and purposeful drone program with the help of law enforcement.

The Montgomery County Sheriff's Department was one of the first in the nation to purchase the $300,000 Vanguard Shadowhawk drone with grant money provided by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, according to the Houston Chronicle. The unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) is equipped with sophisticated cameras and capable of firing rubber bullets, ejecting tear gas canisters and launching taser projectiles.

Next, they'll add chemical sensors and stingray integration. That mysterious hummingbird that constantly shows up in your yard? Its just Robocop's little helper, remotely hacking and gathering Intel.

In addition, the potential for use of even more lethal weapons exists. According to Salon, an Ohio police lieutenant interested in the drone was told by Vanguard representatives that it is also capable of carrying grenade lunchers and 12-gauge shotguns.

Link

EDIT: I skipped over the homepage and went straight to 'new'. Looks like the topic is already being discussed.

edit on 27-8-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I suspect we will see a spike in shotgun sales statewide, as well as an increase in the popularity of skeet shooting.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: TheMadTitan

They would have to be bigger to carry a bean bag gun, even if it was a smaller model. I'm assuming it's a quadcopter model type drone.

Here's a video of a drone being shot with a shotgun.

I'm assuming EMP type weapons could be employed.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Just remember there is a way to either jam or defeat any type of sensor. In fact you can send up your own drones with weapons to take down their drones.

Like I have said time and time again, the "power elite" no longer have any consistent or rational system of beliefs that most people in the U.S. would accept, all they can do is retain their power through material force. Yet, no amount of material force will ever defeat an idea, all they can do is to repress free speech but, ideas are free and the more they act the more they threaten the more credence they give to the other side.

They are losing all they can do is simply threaten people. They can't help they can't solve world problems, they can't make the world a better place for anyone, all they can do simply threaten people.

We live in a "film noir" world where nearly everyone is corrupt, life is a cheap game and everyone plays dirty.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Bean bag, taser and tear gas have all ben approved.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Are you excited?

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I really am a "civil disobedience" kind of guy. I suspect most of my neighbors are, too.

Were anything like this deployed locally, it would likely end up being a game. I still live around folks who think its funny to ride their horse into the bar.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I just have one wword to say about drones. . . . . .

"Pull!"

(some of you will get this)

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   
North Dakota, like some other large and sparsely populated states, probably has huge patrol areas with not a lot of LE coverage or LE close by, so this might make pretty good sense for them.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 11:59 PM
link   
You don't even need a gun to take out those copter type drones. You know those giant waterballoon slingshots? Grab one of the high quality ones, fill the ammo pouch with a bunch of beanbags, and launch away. Use it's own ammo against it

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   
You can't hit what you can't see. A sufficiently powerful laser can absolutely fry a drone's camera.

You can get kits to build some very powerful lasers as well...

A modified rig with one of these mounted and aligned to optical tracking to guide on a drone could have devastating effects on the drone's camera if it looks your way for any significant length of time.
www.optictracker.com...
Just don't do this to any planes please, people could get hurt or even blinded.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   
So if you take it out before it takes out you, will it be something like resistance against the government authority?
I mean as far as you know, anyone could sit behind that joystick...

a reply to: ngchunter
I would not use THAT piece of software because you need to be logged on their servers and "auth" yourself.
If theres GPS fed into the software,too, they can exactly pinpoint the guy who shot down that UAV or whatever and reconstruct the movement of the gimbal.
Makes sense on one side(lasers on plane, weapon guiding) but also useless in this scenario. With a little electronic skill in PWM, mosfet drivers, arduino and C++ or C#, realising this is kindergarden. What you need is the software and there is a half finished library on someones hardrive for that. Part of it was used to find the hollow triangle rock ;-)

Basically it´s really easy to realise this with a decent image recognition class and the necessary hardware+skills, you can build a crude version of that for the UAV part over the course of a weekend. Ok, the last part was tricky because you have the hook into the UAV flight controller and make adjustments there if the gimbal reaches it´s end positions (it will if you mount something on it that needs a connection to the UAV). But I drift away

I would use hexacopter, quads will burn out their motors too fast, so you have use bigger ones, costs your more energy and weight. I´ve found, hexacopter are much more stable when load can change suddenly (weight distribution change) with smaller motors allowing for faster revolution adaption. And they look more badass :-)
edit on 28-8-2015 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Would anyone else love to control these drones?.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I think if they can hacky sack the bean bag ten times before it hits the ground they should get a reduced sentence. Lets add fun to cops and robbers again like it use to be in the old days.
edit on 29-8-2015 by YeahYea4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter
a reply to: ngchunter
I would not use THAT piece of software because you need to be logged on their servers and "auth" yourself.

No, you can run it locally. My understanding is that the authorization process is a one time deal to unlock the full version of the software.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Interesting ...... Snf

There are models that can be outfitted with shotgun turrets and even grenade launchers .
Non lethal ammunition has a pretty broad meaning .
These things aren't your typical quadcopters and they are actually classed as UAVs .
Not only are they quite powerful but they also have a stealth capability similar to a "whisper" mode .

I would also think that this thing is still in early stages and the government will impose more laws in regards to this kind of tech .
I can completely see someone unloading on one of these things and then being pinched for destruction of police or government property .

That being said, people are very creative and its only a matter of time before people work out ways to get around these things .

I know being a robotics guy i would love to flood the spectrum, neutralise all incoming and outgoing traffic and crack this baby open to have a look at its insides . and that's before snooping around in its brain, I would love to let my logic analyser have at this thing . *drools* [/geek] lol

Again, cool thread

-O

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join