It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What caused this Jack-fish, also known as Pike, to be neon green?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   
A fisherman in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories (Canada) caught a neon green pike this week in the Great Slave Lake. Pike are usually a darker green in colour, as you'll see in the pictures below, so what could have caused this odd colour variation? Source.

When I think of neon green animals I think of genetically engineered glow in the dark pigs, or irradiated cartoon animals. Could this be a mutation, or is there something more going on? The Great Slave Lake is either the 10th or 12th largest lake in the world depending who you ask, and has many tributary rivers flowing from Arctic waters.

On January 24th, 1978, Soviet satellite Kosmos 954 fell from orbit over the Northwest Territories. On board was a nuclear reactor; although the Soviets originally said the satellite disintegrated during re entry, it was later discovered that pieces of the satellite and nuclear reactor had been scattered over a wide area.
Could this fluorescent fish be a by product of Kosmos 954? Source.

The area surrounding Great Slave lake has a low population, not much more than 30,000, and for years it was a technological ghost land, not exactly having caught up to the social media over sharing that the rest of the world is experiencing. Is this fisherman just the first to document the aftermath of the Soviet radiation? Time will tell.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

I think there is likely a natural explanation as to why the Pike is tinged green but I have to say that is a nice fish.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Grew up on Pike. Northern Manitoba. Lotsa bones but great meat.

For those that don't know, that one in the pic isn't actually a rarity for size. We caught those aplenty.

I remember a few like this green thing tho and the older natives around said it had to do with weather, water temp and algae growth etc. Can't remember it all but I've seen a few like this.

Jude

edit on 27-8-2015 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   
www.farnhamanglingsociety.com...

"The Pike is a highly evolved ambush predator, added to which it also possesses the ability to change its body colour after a period of time to suit a changing environment."

"The Pike is the perfect predator, with no need for evolutionary change, with fossils providing clear evidence of it remaining in its present form for over 60 million years."

Beautiful fish. So fine a predator that in 60 million years it has undergone no major changes. Perfection.

en.wikipedia.org...

"Most fish, reptiles and amphibians undergo a limited physiological colour change in response to a change in environment. This type of camouflage, known as background adaptation, most commonly appears as a slight darkening or lightening of skin tone to approximately mimic the hue of the immediate environment. It has been demonstrated that the background adaptation process is vision-dependent (it appears the animal needs to be able to see the environment to adapt to it),[31] and that melanin translocation in melanophores is the major factor in colour change.[22]"

Could also be disease related. As mentioned pigmentation and camouflage works by the fish's sight so if the fish goes blind this can change the pigment colour (though darker in most cases). Fish in breeding conditions can be more brilliantly coloured than non breeding.
edit on 27-8-2015 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

Being an avid angler myself, this isn't all that rare. I've ran across pike like this before. From what I could tell is that it's an algae build up. Pike are notorious for sitting in weeds or around rocks and wait for their prey to come by and then BAM! ambush attack at its' finest.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   
It's probably an adaption to the need to look like its environment or it could be a rare color morph.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   
That's a nice northerner, is there an Algae or other water plant that can cause that?

Probably some bozo using a spray on his bait or lures to attract fish.. Could have caught and released or just plain got away..

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Sure would be a beautiful "wall mount".

top topics

join