It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jesse Ventura Shares Surprising Poll Results: Would You Elect An Atheist As President?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant
a reply to: Annee

I actually agree with you to an extent. We should blame the individuals for their actions, not their beliefs or lack of beliefs. But I also have to point out the double standards when blaming religions for things.

If an atheist commits a crime, we should blame the individual and their individual motives, not their lack of faith in a religion or its tenets. But if a person who says he/she accepts a religion commits a crime, we should blame their religion & not their individual motives? That doesn't seem fair at all.

What if their motives or actions contradict their religious teachings? Should we now blame their non-compliance of scripture instead of their personal motives? As in, "they never would've done it if they'd just followed their scriptures".

There is no double standard. Religion is an organized belief. Thousands believe the exact same thing. You call your troops together on a shared belief. To fight for that belief.

Can an individual misuse religious belief for nefarious reasons? Sure. But, followers are following their God belief (or at least they think they are), not the individual leader.

Atheism is individual. It is not an organized belief in any way, shape or form.

Atheism is also not anti-theist. Fighting a war to eliminate religion is anti-theist ---- not atheism.

Genocide of religious groups is about power and control. It's no different then one religious belief trying to wipe out a different religious belief.
edit on 28-8-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Of course I'd vote for an atheist, as far as me thinking an atheist is electable in this country, nope. An atheist may have a considerably easier time of getting elected than previously, but that religious bigotry still exists, so it is unlikely that even with the numbers you mentioned that an atheist would be the President. Though they DO show promise.

Let's focus on getting more non-Protestant Presidents first before jumping to atheist Presidents. Baby steps and all.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
Of course I'd vote for an atheist, as far as me thinking an atheist is electable in this country, nope. An atheist may have a considerably easier time of getting elected than previously, but that religious bigotry still exists, so it is unlikely that even with the numbers you mentioned that an atheist would be the President. Though they DO show promise.

Let's focus on getting more non-Protestant Presidents first before jumping to atheist Presidents. Baby steps and all.

Last time I checked, there wasn't even an "open" atheist in Congress or House of Representatives. There have been a couple that claimed atheism after they retired.

I believe there are a few elected atheists in lower political positions

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   

That's pretty much it. Atheists are still pretty much unelectable, no matter what the statistics in the OP say.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

That's pretty much it. Atheists are still pretty much unelectable, no matter what the statistics in the OP say.

Yes, the "new" equal rights. I'm sure there are closeted atheists.

But, you can't effect change if you don't have the power to do so. You have to get elected first.

I do follow American Atheists (that's an organized group). Atheists are organizing more and working through legal means for full equality and separation of church and state.

I have hope for the future.
edit on 28-8-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   

I'm sure things will get better in the future for atheists; the trends pointed out in the OP definitely show that is the case, but right now being non-Protestant is pretty much a HUGE mark against your political career.

Though consider this, it is easier to get elected to national office as a Muslim than it is as an atheist.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
You mean the people running our government are religious or spiritual ?

Could have fooled me.
edit on 013131p://bFriday2015 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Plus, You are not going to get a very good poll result on ATS, since it leans predominately atheist.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777
Plus, You are not going to get a very good poll result on ATS, since it leans predominately atheist.

No it doesn't.

ATS leans mostly Christian.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Sorry, but atheism is as much a 'belief' as a religion. Neither can be proven.....

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

Sorry, but atheism is as much a 'belief' as a religion. Neither can be proven.....

Only from the concept no one knows anything about anything and anything/everything can only be belief by anyone about anything.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Only from the concept no one knows anything about anything and anything/everything can only be belief by anyone about anything.

So like trucker was saying, Atheism is as much a faith/belief as any other religion. Like you said, they are even beginning to organize into congregations.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 11:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

So like trucker was saying, Atheism is as much a faith/belief as any other religion. Like you said, they are even beginning to organize into congregations.

"Other religions".

Now you've changed the subject.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Not really. It's you who have changed it...twice....

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Not really. It's you who have changed it...twice....

It gets old. It's been answered many times in various threads on ATS.

Atheism: Understanding a Lack of Belief

Here's a website: www.lackofbelief.com...

edit on 30-8-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Still, it was you who raised the 'belief' point. even though it's 'old'.

A rebuttal is inevitable...

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Still, it was you who raised the 'belief' point. even though it's 'old'.

A rebuttal is inevitable...

When?

What did I say?

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Isurrender73

But just as the religious do harm in the name of their God, atheists have been known to do harm in the name of political ideology.

You want to explain that?

Please.

Here are some genocidal atheists for you.

Stalin, Lenin, Mao and Pol Pot

This is where I picked it up. I disagreed with the statement...still do...
we're the same age..
That's what I thought. This again.

Atheism has no belief. No one acts in the "belief" of atheism.

Power, greed, control, elimination, genocide has nothing to do with atheism being responsible.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Here are some genocidal atheists for you.

Stalin, Lenin, Mao and Pol Pot

Atheism has no belief. No one acts in the "belief" of atheism.

Power, greed, control, elimination, genocide has nothing to do with atheism being responsible.

Where did I state atheism is a belief? If you are referring to "belief" in quotes, there is a reason its in quotes.

When you look for justification for Stalin’s actions in atheist texts, you will find none. There are no calls to action in Richard Dawkins’ The God Delusion. There is not one suggested behaviour in Hitchens’ God Is Not Great. You can’t find rules to live by in the End of Faith by Sam Harris. There are simply no texts within atheism that tell us how to live, how to act, and who to hate.

We know that Stalin, Mao and Pol Pot slaughtered people in great numbers to keep their grip on totalitarian dictatorships. godlessmom.com...

edit on 30-8-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
Good evening Governor.

Do you have a link that will provide info on how the poll was conducted?

I agree with your comments and am as surprised as you, but I'd like to know the small details if they are available.

The poll was conducted on our online blog here:
www.ora.tv...

You can see the breakdown by taking the poll at the bottom of the page.
edit on 2-9-2015 by JesseVentura because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join