It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jesse Ventura Shares Surprising Poll Results: Would You Elect An Atheist As President?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 01:11 AM
link   

. We have been lulled into ignoring just how strange and insupportable many of our religious beliefs are. How comforting would it be to hear the President of the United States assure us that almighty Zeus is on our side in our war on terrorism? The mere change of a single word in his speech—from God to Zeus—would precipitate a national emergency.
www.samharris.org...&A-with-Sam-Harris.pdf

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 01:24 AM
link   
I have no problem with an atheist president. I'm not one now, more Agnostic these days.

originally posted by: ypperst
I hope that, one day, all religions is gone.

Every single one of them.

But it wont ever happen, there is too many unsecure people on this planet. They need a religion to survive.

Such a shame. When all religion is gone, we can start a new better world.

Sometimes I feel the same especially with the ones that are often used for nefarious purposes or have always been and or invented for. To say it's very sad how the major religions are played off for wars, used for control, etc.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 02:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake

Sometimes I feel the same especially with the ones that are often used for nefarious purposes or have always been and or invented for. To say it's very sad how the major religions are played off for wars, used for control, etc.

Very much indeed.

There is of-course good things in all religions;
Treat others as you want to be treated yourself.
Give food to people who dont have food, and so on.

there is many good points, but people dont need a holy book to learn how to treat other human beings.

There is too much brainwashing in religions

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 03:52 AM
link   
vote one....

Josh Duggar....

he's full of Christian values.....

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian
An atheist might be the first honest guy for a while. The others feign beliefs while acting against them, but somebody who comes right out and says he is an unpopular thing, an atheist, has to be honest. Wouldn't it be nice to have somebody in office who says the truth even if it makes him unpopular?

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Konduit
Just because Sagan couldn't figure out the evidence, doesn't mean there isn't any.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus
I am sorry you find atheism empty and pointless. Most atheists have overcome this problem, and perhaps some on this site could share their opinions with you. Then you would have more alternatives.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: JesseVentura

Uh really? you people have been electing atheist presidents for years lmao, oh boy. baaahh baahhhaahhaaha baahhh (sheep for wake up u poor sheeple)

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Religion doesn't play a part in my voting, unless the candidate is overtly religious (like Huckabee, Cruz, Jindal, Santorum... Actually, all of the GOP candidates except for Trump). So, I would absolutely vote for an atheist. I think some level-headed thinking is what we need more of.

This Poll, from 2012 finds that 54% would vote for an atheist.

Still, an imaginary atheist candidate passed the 50 percent threshold for the first time when Gallup asked the question in August 2011, so the trend is upward.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

I totally agree with you. I would love to have a leader that was non religious.

To say a presidents religious beliefs don't affect how the govern would be a lie.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Nexttimemaybe

It would be like a parent keeping two kids from arguing and fighting.

"Okay Catholics, leave the Baptists alone...and Baptists, you need to respect the religious freedoms of the Muslims..."

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I accepted that I am atheist at 65 years old.

I was raised prinarily Christian and Power of Positive Thought.

It surprised me how much clearer of thought I am without religion.

Today I find religion a hindrence to human evolvement.

I look forward to a non-religious president.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Pretty sure Bush believes in god.
He even said god told him to start these wars:

"I'm driven with a mission from God. God would tell me, 'George, go and fight those terrorists in Afghanistan.' And I did, and then God would tell me, 'George go and end the tyranny in Iraq,' and I did."

The tyranny didn't ended, there are no less terrorists, it's chaos and hell. Millions of people coming from those country's to Europe and millions killed, millions displaced, and god knows how many wounded. And far as I know this fire is only growing bigger. It's lasting even longer already then world war II.

Anyways my point is does it matter since most of so called believers/Christians (president's/state's people) most often it seems do not follow god's word. An Atheist president could be as a good choice or even perhaps a better one. How do you know you choose a god believer, because he says so?
So if a president would follow god's laws, he would be a president for the people and be a blessing for the nation.
Now I haven't seen many of those and they surely aren't around lately, but I guess most of them say they believe in god and follow his word anyways and people believing that.

But for Jesse's comment ''an imaginary friend''.. That's not showing much respect if any.
edit on 27-8-2015 by Pluginn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   
People with Christian beliefs usually believe in the revelations, which means that they believe that if ever we screw up really badly, God will come back and save us.

All that sounds pretty dangerous to me, I wouldn't trust such a person. Accountability anyone?

Oh and some are actually looking forward to it and do nothing to stop evil...you can count that I wouldn't save those people if I we're God!
edit on 27-8-2015 by theMediator because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pluginn
Pretty sure Bush believes in god.

Yeah, surely Satan or some other demon.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: theMediator

I do believe in what's good and I do believe god is good and i'm sure there is more then then eye see's. Proving that is something else.

I have seen the spirit world/beings and even saw Jesus coming on clouds in his might and glory (words cant describe how small and tiny felt seeing him!), now would I expect that when I told people that they believe that, of course not.

Anyways perhaps people should try lucid dreaming and tell them their experiences (just read the comments on that video), I'm pretty sure you believe in something more at least if you get that experience. Note how many people see the same things / have the same experiences, although most of them are frightening but at least it shows there is more then the eye sees:

edit on 27-8-2015 by Pluginn because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   

What's that motto again ah yes IN A FICTITIOUS BEING WE HAVE NO PROOF OF WE TRUST

Politics should have nothing to do with religion and vice versa.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   
spirituality isnt a problem. but when it employs politics, it becomes religion. and when religion enters governmental politics, it becomes a problem.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

No god means no devil
no devil means no heavy metal.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

"If one believes in religion, they are likely to use it as an excuse for their own bad behavior."

I'd vote for the atheist, all things being equal. I wouldn't vote for a militant activist atheist, as you described however.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join