It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jesse Ventura Shares Surprising Poll Results: Would You Elect An Atheist As President?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
You lost me at imaginary friend.

But it shouldn't matter who is in office so long as they don't impose their belief or non belief on others.

Or try to deride their constituents...
Like claiming we have imaginary friends.

Then simply refute his statement, like any self-respecting scholar.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
I would not vote for someone that doesn't believe in God as they would not represent me. I don't care too much about which religion or no religion as long as there is a belief in a prime mover or God. I would not trust an Atheist.

A fine representation of one of the major issues we have in this country.

How sad.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: JesseVentura

I'm not sure why we let any body who talks to imaginary friends, any where near the oval office much less the big red button. I think it is time for a reasonable, rational person to take office.

That being said, they would need to be at least as qualified as Bush jr, or Obama. Lol

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: yulka

Ok, thanks.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Throw me in with the atheists. I would welcome a non-religious leader. As a matter of fact, I would prefer an atheist in charge. With an atheist, the chances of religion factoring into their decision making process is pretty much eliminated. On the other hand, a religious President is much more likely to succumb to it’s influence.

IMHO, religion has gotten this world into the mess it’s in. At least to a significant degree. It’s as responsible for most of the bloody wars we've waged as anything else. Just think of the countless lives lost over our history in brutal conflict due to religious differences. It’s truly insane, bordering on psychotic.

In defense of my argument, I submit to the ATS jury Exhibit #1: the Honorable Mike Huckabee.

And on that note, I rest my case.

Have fun!

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

I have neither the time or inclination to prove a heathen wrong.

The "imaginary friend" claim comes from your ilk...
So the burden of proof is on you lot.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

I'll have you know that George W. Bush and Barack H. Obama are the two greatest presidents that the United States of America has had in the last 14.5 years!

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   
My thought is simple. Take the average age from birth to first child, looks like but a few generations to shift the perception and beliefs of the public. The only logical conclusion is our thoughts are not our own. We are, to a great extent, cultured by our surroundings.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   

I find Mr. Ventura's words highly condescending,

I would vote for the person I felt was most equipped to run the country and work towards diplomatic solutions without involving the nation in other countries civil wars, regardless of faith.

It seems like some people who don't believe in the "imaginary friend" think they are better and possibly even more morally sound then us believers.

He was condescending towads my intelligence as well, as if the atheist is intellectually more gifted than the theist. I am highly intelligent and able to separate my theocratic views from my faith in democracy.

Maybe he forgot about the atheist communist who committed genocide without faith in an imaginary friend.

The problem never lies in faith. It lies in facisim. A true theocracy is a form of facism. I am not a facisist because the religious texts don't support forced conversion. Therefore democracy is the only solution.

I am extremely religious and a pacifist, but I am pro guns.

I am pro life, outside of rape and medical emergencies, but I am pro democracy and civil liberties above my faith.

It brothers me when anyone is as condescending as Mr. Ventura was in this video. He is usually better then this.

Very disappointed.

edit on 26-8-2015 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I'm fairly certain we've already elected more than a few Presidents who were atheists who feigned religious belief to remain electable.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Due to this fiasco I would definitely take an atheist president provided that he or she respects people's religions.

edit on 26-8-2015 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I'd have no problem voting for an atheist conservative (yes, they do exist) so long as they would answer the following question:

If there is no Creator, where do our unalienable rights come from?

If he or she says they come from the government, no vote from me. Believe it or not, there are secular answers to that question, but I would want to know their stance on the matter.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Personally, I think someone who's an Atheist has managed to avoid being brainwashed by the ton of religious claptrap out there.

Such a person would make a fine President. Someone who's willing to think for themselves, and not be swayed by BILLIONS of people who have been completely brainwashed into believing one version of religion or another.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I think atheism is just as backwards as any religion.

In the words of the late great Carl Sagan;

"An atheist is someone who is certain that God does not exist, someone who has compelling evidence against the existence of God. I know of no such compelling evidence."

I prefer Agnostic, because without undeniable proof both Atheism and Religion are just belief systems.

edit on 26-8-2015 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

I would not vote for someone that doesn't believe in God as they would not represent me. I don't care too much about which religion or no religion as long as there is a belief in a prime mover or God. I would not trust an Atheist.

A fine representation of one of the major issues we have in this country.

How sad.

I knew my opinion would be unpopular on ATS. I am not even religious, but for me the alternative to God is an empty, lonely and pointless existence.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I'm not even sure why it matters. When I go to vote, a candidates religious persuasion doesn't even register on my reasons of why I'm casting a vote for him/her.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I doubt I would vote for an atheist, or anyone who believes Good and Evil are relative rather than objective. Also referring to God as an imaginary friend has caused me to lose a lot of respect for you. That's saying a lot considering your show basically introduced me to conspiracy theories.
edit on 27-8-2015 by Whicker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 12:47 AM
link   

I knew my opinion would be unpopular on ATS. I am not even religious, but for me the alternative to God is an empty, lonely and pointless existence.

Yeah, the truth on that one is a bit harsh. But I'd rather have the truth than rely on evidence-less belief as easy solace. Coming to terms with your own mortality and how little (and insignificant) you really are, can, in the end, make you really appreciate life. This life. The only one we seem to have. And how special, and incredibly short, it is.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I would rather vote for the guy who didn't believe in an invisible super being in the sky, but that's just me I'm weird like that

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Happy Thursday by now, Gov! My first post to you is an emphatic
thumbs up for this thread, because of my personal beliefs.

They were tempered early on at my first day of Catechism. And
Luths take it as seriously as Catholics although the book's thinner.
A church elder was standing up for an opener saying, "The reason
the Church is here is to get you ready to die." He really said that.

I thought but bit back saying, "Outstanding, Mr. Grey business suit
and owner of a successful little building outfit, you have successfully
scuttled over 4000 years of religious doctrine. And all this time I
thought your clowns' main job was to teach us how to live."
And he obviously didn't grow up on my side of town. I was ready at 5.

For an atheist, it depends on how plugged in his convictions are to
his button finger. I'd like to hope (for a change) the Quarterback
would look out for all his people "in the here and now" and quit this
blather about the hereafter. The latter sometimes facilitates loose
cannons or worse, in certain faiths a redo button: neither a good call
unless you're a kevlar klad kockroach.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join