It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ted Cruz Plots Government Shutdown Fight Over Planned Parenthood

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

the 9th Amendment covers unenumerated rights.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp
The constitution limits government, not people.

Yet we have a whole section called the Bill of Rights (and some subsequent amendments) that specifically calls out rights that people do have, such as to have their persons and documents free of search and seizure. It takes a rather affirmative role in saying what rights people do have.

This in my opinion has lead a lot of people to believe (citizens and those in government) those are their only rights, and from the way the laws are written... they effectively are.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aloysius the Gaul
a reply to: greencmp

the 9th Amendment covers unenumerated rights.

The point being that any power not specifically awarded to the federal government is reserved for the states or the people.

The Bill of Rights does not award any powers to the federal government and is strictly there to enumerate the rights of individuals, not the federal government.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: greencmp
The constitution limits government, not people.

Yet we have a whole section called the Bill of Rights (and some subsequent amendments) that specifically calls out rights that people do have, such as to have their persons and documents free of search and seizure. It takes a rather affirmative role in saying what rights people do have.

This in my opinion has lead a lot of people to believe (citizens and those in government) those are their only rights, and from the way the laws are written... they effectively are.

Yes, and none of the them enumerate the rights of the government, only individuals.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: yeahright

originally posted by: charolais
Am I the only one who gets creeped out by Ted Cruz?

No. Not only am I creeped out by Ted Cruz, I'm creeped out by anyone who isn't creeped out by Ted Cruz.

There are plenty of potential candidates with whom I disagree about various things, but among the GOP field, he's the one that really trips my antenna in a bad way. And I mean in a bodies in the crawlspace, dead mom in an attic rocker kinda way.

He may be a great guy (!) but something about him is just off.

yah his parents vacated Kommunist Cuba during the revolution. Every Statist should fear him.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 04:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Point of order old stick, pastors ALWAYS preach from the pulpit. What they are not permitted to do is is rally people to a political cause from the pulpit, which is an entirely different kettle of fish.

With regard to Cruz... Anyone who PLANS to shut down the federal government, rather than having that happen as a result of unfortunate disagreements between congress and President, ought to be arrested for treason, and summarily shot soon afterward. What a jumped up, backwards piece of crap that Cruz must be, to have the hubris to try and shut down the government, simply because he opposes ideas like the promotion of sexual health, the idea that a woman ought to have a choice about whether she brings a child into the world, no matter what circumstances lead to impregnation, the idea that planning pregnancy and having the best medical advice on hand is better for both parents and their offspring...

Cave men of his sort, and I say this as a person who respects my obvious heritage, have no place in the modern world, especially places of power. This tower dwelling throwback needs to recognise his own obsolescence.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I would like to clear a few things up from the start here.

1. The OP claims PP has been found of no wrongdoing, but a simple google search shows that in 2 states he's wrong.

2. These videos AT THE VERY LEAST show a lack of proper respect for the remains of these dead (fetus/baby whatever you want to call them) I think AT THE VERY LEAST abortion is something that should be held to a higher standard no matter what side you fall on, and if PP can't act responsibly then their funding should be cut, and sent elsewhere.

I think Cruz is going about this the wrong way, like he has a tendency to do, and being a moderate conservative he does creep me out a bit too.

I will say that for every Ted Cruz there is an equal and opposite crazy on the other side as well, and anyone that can't see/admit that is far too biased to even share a reasonable opinion on the issue. Where did all the moderates go?

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: EverydayInVA
I would like to clear a few things up from the start here.

1. The OP claims PP has been found of no wrongdoing, but a simple google search shows that in 2 states he's wrong.

I googled "Planned parenthood wrongdoing" - and got nothing on the first 2 pages except "cleared", "cleared", "cleared", "videos misleading" and the like.....what search did you do?

2. These videos AT THE VERY LEAST show a lack of proper respect for the remains of these dead (fetus/baby whatever you want to call them) I think AT THE VERY LEAST abortion is something that should be held to a higher standard no matter what side you fall on, and if PP can't act responsibly then their funding should be cut, and sent elsewhere.

Apparently you are wrong. the only lack of respect the videos show is for the truth - which is kind of ironic given the supposed religious motivation of many of their proponents!!

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 11:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
Ted Cruz Plots Government Shutdown Fight Over Planned Parenthood

Ok, I'm not sure what I'm angrier about. Ted Cruz, trying to hold the government hostage over the Planned Parenthood non-issue or that he is trying to use CHURCHES to do it with. Oh yes, you read that right. Get ready for a roller coaster ride of shady politics ahead.

Washington -- Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) thinks Republican leaders are bluffing when they say they want to defund Planned Parenthood, so he is enlisting Christian pastors across the nation to help mobilize voters to force his colleagues' hands and threaten a government shutdown.

Cruz implored more than a thousand pastors and religious leaders on Tuesday to "preach from the pulpit" against Planned Parenthood and rally public support for an amendment defunding the family provider in the must-pass federal budget bill in November. If Congress attaches the defunding amendment to the budget instead of holding a vote on the standalone bill, it cannot keep funding Planned Parenthood without shutting down the whole federal government.

Just a heads up. Preaching from the pulpit is something that churches are EXPLICITLY not allowed to do, lest they lose their tax exempt status. Now Cruz is educating pastors to do the one thing they aren't allowed to do. Oh boy...

Let's be clear though. This is Cruz's baby. We can't blame this idiocy on all the Republicans.

“We’ve been down this path before,” Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) told reporters earlier this month. “This is a tactic that’s been tried going back to the ’90s, frequently by Republican majorities that always have the same ending: that the focus is on the fact that the government is shut down, not on what the underlying issue that is being protested is."

But it get's EVEN better. Cruz is positioning this so that he can blame Obama for the shutdown.

Cruz said pastors should tell their congregations to call their members of Congress and insist that Republicans use the federal budget to defund Planned Parenthood. He said it would be President Barack Obama's fault if the government shuts down -- not the GOP's.

"It will be a decision of the president's and the president's alone whether he would veto funding for the federal government because of a commitment to ensuring taxpayer dollars continue to flow to what appears to be a national criminal organization," Cruz said.

The heck? What kind of warped logic is that? Here we have Cruz conspiring to shut the government down, PUBLICLY (he's not even doing this secretly...), and he has the GALL to say that it would be Obama's fault if it were shut down?

So let's sum this craziness up. Cruz is going against the majority of Congress trying to tie legislation to defund PP to critical legislation to spark a government shut down despite ALL investigations done into PP coming back with no wrong doing by asking churches to violate their 501(c)3 status THEN laying the blame for all this at Obama's feet? I remind everyone that this guy is running for the Presidency...
Blame Obama...It's Obama who says yea or nay...It's right in Obama's lap...It WILL be Obama's fault if the gov't shuts down...Cruz is not conspiring to shut the gov't down...Cruz is following the rules and is working on defunding planned parenthood...It's Obama who will or will not shut the gov't down...

So Congress can only submit bills that Obama agrees with eh??? No way Jose'...The system is working the way it is supposed to...

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Iscool

Are you crazy? You can't walk the President into a no-win corner by forcing him to go against his principles or shut the government down then lay the blame on the inevitable shut down on the President once it happens. That is dishonest and a low blow. Think SERIOUSLY about what you are suggesting here.

Ted Cruz attaching defunding of PP legislation to other key legislation knowing FULL well that Obama will veto it causing a shutdown is NOT Obama's fault. Most people just call that a conspiracy, and it is 100% Ted Cruz's fault.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   

unless they can prove that planned parenthood has done something illegal through these tapes which very professional people have studied and said they wouldn't stand up in a court as evidence...
wouldn't the supreme court step in and strike it down anyway?

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Well you'd hope, but the Supreme Court really only takes up cases that get up to it through the appeals process. They don't just randomly decide to review the Constitutionality of random laws in the country. So the bill would have to pass, then someone would have to sue over it, then it would have to be appealed.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   

ya, but in the past, some level of the court system has ruled against the states that tried to defund them...
so, I think if the federal gov't wouldn't have that option either.
I think that they'd would have to prove that there is a good reason to do it, like illegality, not just "but, they perform abortions and it doesn't matter if the money given isn't used for them"...

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   

I mean I already don't think that the legislation has a snowball's chance in hell of being passed, but if it did, it would be a complicated mess getting it overturned.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   
they're doing exactly what they did in the 2000's ....
the investigations are coming back in pp favor, so well, the are attacking the investigators. it's sickening to watch. especially considering the backgrounds of the investigators.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   

I've been comparing this situation to Climategate for a while now. PP is going to be cleared of any wrongdoing, yet we are going to be hearing from the people who bought into the propaganda for a LONG time from now. They'll be telling us that the investigations where flawed. That they were corrupt, and all sorts of other things.

The difference between the issue back in 2000 and today is that today the proliferation of the internet makes it so that nothing ever truly goes away...

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   
of course, if they did actually decide to prosecute this time, maybe it would stop the next round of bs...maybe

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   

If someone were to actually hold CMP accountable for all this malarkey it would totally make my day, but I'm not holding my breath for that to actually happen.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

unless they can prove that planned parenthood has done something illegal through these tapes which very professional people have studied and said they wouldn't stand up in a court as evidence...
wouldn't the supreme court step in and strike it down anyway?

No. Getting to the Supreme Court outside of a handful of situations requires a lengthy appeals process, and even if you go through them there's a very high chance the court will reject your appeal and send it back to the lower court. The Supreme Court also has a very narrow jurisdiction, it only rules on matters of the constitution, all other legal questions were delegated to other courts. So you have to frame the argument not as libel or slander but in the context of what constitutional rights of Planned Parenthood or their employees were violated by CMP?

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

CMP has nothing to do with what I am talking about....
what would the reason be for the gov't to take funding away from planned parenthood?
the courts has already decided and it has been upheld that it can't be done solely because planned parenthood does abortions along with the services that the funding is used for....
at least at the state level, I imagine that if the states can't the federal level won't get to either.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join