It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Luke, I am your father CHANGED, to NO, I am your father......

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 01:16 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

How many can dispute "life is like a box of chocolates," changing to life WAS like a box of chocolates" when the latter makes no sense! Ya know?

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 02:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: hidingthistime
None have changed for YOU, nothing is different for YOU. But for THOUSANDS now, we have shared past memories that we can't deny ourselves

No, you don't. You're just *wrong*. Your memory of a particular event or fact is just plain wrong.

The universe hasn't changed, there was no Earth MKI, MKII, MKIII etc.

You, and many others, are just remembering things wrong. I do it too - it doesn't mean I am from another timeline.

If you have not experienced it personally, then not sure why you are in the discussion.

Personally experienced what? Incorrect memories? Forgetting things? We ALL have.

I have a DISTINCT memory of watching a hooky version of Star Wars: ROTJ in the UK back in 1983 when it came out (a VHS tape was passed around and you could only hang on to it for a couple hours at a time) and I am 100% sure I saw a bunch of rebels ships COLLIDE with the Death Star's shields when they were still up. So does my brother.

But no one else remembers this. Why? Because we were both wrong and if I were to properly investigate, I suspect it was an incorrect memory recollection on my part which I tried to evince my brother of the same which HE now has the same incorrect memory.

Just like what the media did with the LIAYF quote.

So, none of this means you are special, or unique, or part of another timeline. Get over yourself and cut back on the Sci-Fy channel.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 03:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: hidingthistime

How many can dispute "life is like a box of chocolates," changing to life WAS like a box of chocolates" when the latter makes no sense! Ya know?

Well that one just doesn't scan in the same way as Vader's admission. I guess the nature of this thing is that we will never truly know, will we?

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 04:43 AM
link   

I always thought it was "was". I dont have immediate access to the film but I thought in the film, Forrest was speaking about what his mother said in the past-tense, ie: life *was* like a box of chocolates...

Maybe people are confusing it from the "Life *is* like a box of chocolates from this : HERE ?

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 04:45 AM
link   
a reply to: AshOnMyTomatoes

Either way sounds both grammatically correct and conversationally fluid to me. Each version conveys different metalingual message.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 06:22 AM
link   
I am 32 and for me its Bernstein, only I'm positive because my last name is spelled with ei also and as a very shy kid who hated my oddly spelled, mispronounced name enjoyed the similarities of the author's spelling. I've noticed almost all people of my generation are stein, once you get to the next generation most of them think we are nuts. Also as a kid in a tiny town I swear our street lights were opposite, green and red were switched. Stopped seeing or noticing around age 15 when we moved. And please I still upset over mirror mirror, nonsense!

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: galaga

Then provide proof it is a possibility. None has been provided other than anecdotal evidence based on faulty human memory.

Even quantum physics disagrees with the view that universes can merge. They would destroy each other. I have provided those papers.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: 4runner96740

I am older than you. As was proven multiple times, even YOUNG kids think it is stein. It is usually based on how their parents pronounced it.

I am the one who read the books to my little brother who is closer to you in age. I pronounced it wrongs. He spells it how I pronounced it. I remember it being Berenstain. I broke his memory and how he views the book.

This is off topic though. Go to that thread and read all the science there. This is another thread about the same thing. Some people just hate to think that their memory has failed them.
edit on 21-4-2016 by raymundoko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: MiddleInitial

Then you don't know grammar...and apparently don't know what metalingual means either.
edit on 21-4-2016 by raymundoko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Yes, all you have to do is watch the movies. That's how you find out you were wrong.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK
a reply to: syrinx high priest

Depends what changed in the timeline doesn't it?

Something that may have altered the script could perhaps have been unique to that writer and thus had no effect on, say, Harry Potter books...

It would have to be a big thing to affect a broad range of media, wouldn't it?

please explain how it only changes 1 line in 1 movie

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: syrinx high priest

originally posted by: SprocketUK
a reply to: syrinx high priest

Depends what changed in the timeline doesn't it?

Something that may have altered the script could perhaps have been unique to that writer and thus had no effect on, say, Harry Potter books...

It would have to be a big thing to affect a broad range of media, wouldn't it?

please explain how it only changes 1 line in 1 movie

Be strange to say the least you would think that a movie would have to be different in muliple places. Either lucas wrote it or some one else. Seen the austrailia controversy as well people claim its changed. But the rest is ok the only problem is the continents are shaped because they used to be connected meaning for ausrrailia to be different so would the other continents. Much easier to believe people just didn't pay attention in geography. As far as star wars I blame memorabilia they were the ones that rewrite the line. Easier to identify on a t shirt and even impersonations saying Luke I am your father you knew even a bad impression who it was. Putting no I am your father on a t shirt just wouldn't work. People may not make the connection.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 02:11 AM
link   
a reply to: raymundoko

Meta: above, beyond.
Lingual: of language.

So, when I say metalingual, I mean in in the sense that Stephen Pinker means it - I learned the term reading his book "The Language Instinct". In this context, metalingual messages are the shades of meaning that arise from word choice.

Consider the following sentences:

1) Luke, I am your father.
2) No, I am your father.

How about instead of saying "You are wrong and I am right", please, enlighten me. Why are these not grammatically correct and conversationally fluid sentences?
edit on 22-4-2016 by MiddleInitial because: Message clarity

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: MiddleInitial

#2 is the only correct one in context of the conversation.

#1 is correct when out of context.

Metalingual is is the ability to, in laymens terms, translate something without it getting lost in translation. Jakobson viewed language as a code, and if you used the code correctly you could translate anything into any language.

That has nothing to do with using Luke vs No. Both can be translated without issue into any language.

Luke, I am your father! Is a great stand alone quote. You know who is being talked about and can relate to where it came from.

No, I am your father! Works in the context it was used. Vader would be adding a proper noun where one is not needed. Luke and Vader knew who they were talking to. When Luke said: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him!" it would have been incorrect to say "He told me Vader killed him!" as Vader is right there and who Luke was having a conversation with. Vader then DENIED that accusation with a NO! and then explained "I am your father!" with the emphasis on I.

Did you ever wonder why in an argument it Irks people when you start calling them by name? "Listen, Dave, you are wrong!" It's because you have shown your irritation by using an out of place proper noun in the conversation. It's as bad a dangling participle.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 08:45 AM
link   
It was always, No, I am your father. I remember

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Thank you.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: damwel
It was always, No, I am your father. I remember
it was always that for YOU.... for YOU, not for me and many others!

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: hidingthistime

OR is was always that for you and you've just been mistaken...

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   
oops, i didn't realize this was a skunk works topic, my bad, carry on.....

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   

No. I always take picture of skeletons and selfies with them etc, because it is a running joke with my friends who play Minecraft with me, that Skeleton's are my arch enemy... I had seen enough skeletons on a regular basis to know what ribs looked like, and they ALL changed.

Also, the stomach and digestive systems is so different, that only those of us who remember it the old way could understand that it looks tangled now etc....

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join