It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange shiny, conical, enormously tall mountain on Ceres

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   
This is a Glass Mountain with a a large obsidian flow

obsidian

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   
The Mystery of Dwarf Planet Ceres' Missing Craters
www.space.com...

And where are the ejecta blankets, or the big rocks and boulders that an impact must leave behind?

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   
It looks like a meteor sublimated and pushed back up.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   
The great thing about this mountain is, no matter how "mundane" the answer turns out to be, it's unlike anything we've ever seen before.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   
My best guess? Ice volcano in very low gravity.
a reply to: AshOnMyTomatoes

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 06:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: AshOnMyTomatoes
The great thing about this mountain is, no matter how "mundane" the answer turns out to be, it's unlike anything we've ever seen before.

Exactly.

It doesn't need to be "artificially built by aliens" (or something) to be really really scientifically interesting and exciting.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Im so excited to see what photos we get at the end of october, the photos in this thread are from nearly 1000 miles high, I can only imagine the detail from 230 miles. I have a feeling we will have even more intriguing photos to look at, first the light patches, then the out of place conical mountain, what next? Exciting times!

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
May be far fetched, but the longitudinal crystalline "necklace" around the crater looked a little like the glass that was formed around the crater after the Trinity explosion in 1953. The green glass was formed from sandy soil that contained a lot of silica. It melted and formed a glass star-like pattern around the crater. Glass rings can also be formed by the upheaval of volcanoes. The picture on Ceres looks very much like some sort of crystalline growth pattern. Glass is technically a liquid, but maybe under the right conditions it could form a similar pattern. Any opinions on that?
The jpg on the bottom is actually a lab experiment looking at an impact glass pattern on the left and comparing it to a pattern produced by a volcano on the right.

Here are some jpgs:

edit on 29-8-2015 by Phantom423 because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-8-2015 by Phantom423 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I cropped a part of the picture and turned it to give you a better view with less optical illusion

Not a crater anymore eh?

edit on 29-8-2015 by Drazzl because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 10:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Drazzl
I cropped a part of the picture and turned it to give you a better view with less optical illusion

Not a crater anymore eh?

sorry, still a crater. Just like the minor one on the left.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 02:15 AM
link   
a reply to: egidio88

Just no.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Not only is it a mountain, but it appears to be expanding. Enough to slough material down the wall of the adjacent crater. It appears that way to me, anyway.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: AshOnMyTomatoes

It looks to me that it is a crater and the dust and sand slide down to the bottom of the crater. So probably the crater is crystelized by some enormus heat.

Looks very cool by the way.
Love and Peace for All.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: chrisjemac50

Come on, really? Did you read the thread?, look 2 posts up. It's a mountain, 3-4 miles high.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I think these new pictures debunks the bright spots on Ceres being city lights. Ceres seems to have some type of natural process of a bright shiny reflective substance on many locations.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: game over man

City lights..?
Why would you think that both surfaces are made of the same material? Please elaborate

Anyways, to me the bright surfaces do not even look similar and have a different albedo so i think these are different materials..

edit on 30-8-2015 by Drazzl because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Drazzl

I think they look the same...Ceres may be big enough to have different environments with different shiny white material? What makes them look different to you?

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: kamatty
a reply to: chrisjemac50

Come on, really? Did you read the thread?, look 2 posts up. It's a mountain, 3-4 miles high.

lol i was talking about the crater next to the mountain!!! Because drazzle is saying that's a mountain too!!! no?

i mean, of course the other is a mountain, who dare to say the contrary? lol, just look at the sunlight hitting it, and the shadow inside the crater next to it.
edit on 30-8-2015 by egidio88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 03:30 AM
link   
a reply to: egidio88

Your post says it's a reply to the op, but I apologise to you Anyway :-)

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: game over man

Yes Ceres is big enough..; now take a look on some of the older pictures of Ceres and spot the mountain and the bright spots, i see a big difference in reflective behavior and intensity.

Again, what makes you think that it is the same material?

originally posted by: egidio88
i was talking about the crater next to the mountain!!! Because drazzle is saying that's a mountain too!!! no?

Not really, i even centered the mountain

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join