It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange shiny, conical, enormously tall mountain on Ceres

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   
As for the people claiming that it's ice that makes the surface shine.......Why is that the only thing we see with a shiny surface on it? If crystals formed there, wouldnt they also form on surfaces nearby? Or is it only cold enough RIGHT THERE?

It makes the metal theory more plausible. We're all looking for intelligent life, but when we see something that might be made by intelligent life, we scoff at the notion.

Why is that?
edit on 26-8-2015 by Peacetime because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   
its pretty weird how it "sits" right next to the crater.looks almost like glued onto the surface...like a limpet.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: AshOnMyTomatoes

According to the jpl website that was posted on the 24th.
maybe a prior mapping?

which is the current mapping?

dawn.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: WP4YT

It's been answered for many thousands of years at least, at least in my book.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   
There are a couple of interesting things about the mountain.

Here's a crop I have sharpened to show the detailing on the mountain.

Firstly, it is not a complete conical mound, only a portion of it rises about the surrounding landscape and the rest blends in with the edge of the crater immediately to the east of it.

Secondly, I've circled in red two areas that have similarly bright areas indicating a similar rise above the immediate environs.

Here's that view from further out that was posted earlier. I've tweaked it a little to bring out details by adjusting brightness levels and sharpening. I've also rotated it to match that of the other photo.

What I find interesting is not just the mound but the crater next to it. Notice the wall that is most in shadow and see how it appears to have the same vertical striations as the raised slope of the mountain. It's also noticeable that the outline of the mound matches the crater rim - the same crater that seems to spill over onto one side of the mound.

My theory (and I look forward to my cheque from NASA) is that the mound is a product of the impact that created the crater next to it, with the shock causing material to slip laterally and produce a curved cliff of sheared off material.

Or swamp gas. Whatever

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   
But look at the way the shades are placed. The light is coming from the right of the screen, but it is the left side that is shining.
Does that not mean it is an crater, not an mountain?

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: DuLas

The light is coming from the left, hence the shadows on the left side of each crater.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: kountzero

in the star trek book, spock's world, that is almost precisely what occurs. a pre surak space mining family finds a tremendous sized diamond inside an asteroid. sadly, they kill tmeselves on then what next should happen.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: AshOnMyTomatoes
The Dawn spacecraft has returned some of the highest-resolution images of the surface of Ceres yet, and it seems the closer look we get, the more mysteries we find.

Know what I am more curious about? The fact that they have high resolution images of this area but not of the very obvious bright spots.

Go on NASA, show us some little stones at the side of the mountain looking area.... God forbid showing us what we all are waiting to hear more from.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: BlackProject

Orbits don't cover everything at once. You're rotating around an object that is also rotating. Sometimes it takes days (or longer!) to get over where you want to be. That is unless you're willing to give up some d/v for changes, which is rather unlikely. So just give it some time, it'll be released eventually.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Big, shiny asteroid that slowly hit the surface and then flipped over?

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   

I may or may not be wrong but it looks like a crater to me and the other circles in the picture look like mountains. Maybe the light source is coming from the right of the image, in which would cast a shadow from a mountain to the left and the shadow of a crater would be on the right...... Or I have this whole thing backwards. Either way, Nice photo.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   
There are no impact craters on Ceres, it is all electrical discharge pits. The mountain is also electrically formed, the striate marks are from plasma flow up to the peak, which looks like it has undergone electrode erosion. One day you guys will get wise to the real nature of how it all works.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Ummm...that there mountain...looks suspiciously like a...barnacle...

Would that make the surface of ceres a...hull...?
Curiouser...

YouSir

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: AshOnMyTomatoes
The Dawn spacecraft has returned some of the highest-resolution images of the surface of Ceres yet, and it seems the closer look we get, the more mysteries we find. The latest batch of images contain an extremely strange structure on the surface.

I'm genuinely at a loss on this one, guys. That is definitely the oddest thing I've ever seen in space. This shiny "Lonely Mountain", as it has been dubbed, since it is not part of a mountain range, is 4 miles tall.

To me it looks like NASA has been playing with Paintshop Pro again. The sides of the raised mountains look like they were created in a graphics modelling program and the "silver" one looks like its just a negative inverse of the one right beside of it. One just seems to be turned in a different direction.
edit on 26-8-2015 by IlluminatiTechnician because: :

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Withvthese new hires pics where's the bright spots?

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Ceres temperature is just below the melting point of the element mercury so perhaps the mountain is the result of strange volcanism from mercury which is highly reflective.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   
It looks like a mass excavation site.

It's funny how they've airbrushed a section that interconnects the crater and pile.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Dbl post
edit on 26-8-2015 by trifecta because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

that's one big rover then, shouldn't there be colossus tracks nearby ?

funbox

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join