It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange shiny, conical, enormously tall mountain on Ceres

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Pilgrum

This thing casts a bloody long shadow, for a crater.

A much longer shadow than all the other craters in the shot... It's not a crater, it is clearly something which stretches high above the average surface height of Ceres. I have no idea how anyone can come to the conclusion, that this is a depression in the ground, rather than an object jutting up out of it. The light and shadow you refer to suggest that your theory is flawed.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Looks like a mountain to me. Light is clearly coming from the left, because it lights up the left side of every ridge. The vast majority of everything in that image is a crater.

The left side ridge of the craters casts a shadow into the crater and light is illuminating the interior right slope up to the opposite side. With the exception of the crystal/ice (?) mountain which is reflecting light on the left side along with another smaller one to the right of it and only the left side of that one appears to be exposed and reflecting light. .

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pilgrum
C,mon it's a crater, not a mountain and easily determined if you check the light and shadows in nearby craters with elevated centres. My thought is it's a form of glass created in the heat of a massive high speed impact which is angled such that any loose material like dust simply slides to the bottom keeping the 'glass' exposed.

All theory of course

No.

The shadow is on the opposite side of the feature relative to the crater below it. So the feature in question is a mountain:

Here it is from another angle:

edit on 8/26/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People
Seeing this post, I withdraw my crater comment

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Here's the NASA link

Source

NASA's Dawn spacecraft spotted this tall, conical mountain on Ceres from a distance of 915 miles (1,470 kilometers). The mountain, located in the southern hemisphere, stands 4 miles (6 kilometers) high. Its perimeter is sharply defined, with almost no accumulated debris at the base of the brightly streaked slope.

The image was taken on August 19, 2015. The resolution of the image is 450 feet (140 meters) per pixel.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Thanks for blowing the crater theory out of the water, I was gonna go with the fact the light source is to the left of the image so, if it was a crater, the left edge of it would have a shadow like the crater below it, rather than to the far right (where the crater below has no shadow) really don't see this as a crater, your debunking of that was far more effective

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: AshOnMyTomatoes

It is a crater' not a mountain, you can clearly see this. as for the shiny material... I don't know but either a reflective surface of some Material or its a dodgy photo and that light is from something else.
edit on CDTWed, 26 Aug 2015 09:13:57 -05000000003109x157x1 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Its weird actually... that first image in the OP seems to show the craters protruding from the surface upwards but the so called Mountain inverted as if a huge asteroid hit.

And then in the photo above the total oposite illusion is given.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   
It could have been a crater but like it was said above...the shadows is what I noticed right away. This mountain almost fits exactly in the crater right next to it. If someone with great editing ability they could take that mountain, flip it and see that it lines up in the crater.

So how does that happen?

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: WP4YT
Clearly metal object of some sort. Looks a lot like the metal they use on probes. I can't believe it, we are finally close to the question "are we alone" being answered. If we didn't send that probe there, someone else did

And what would this "metal" be, since you seem to be an expert on the mater?

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

have a look at the photo's above provided by soylent

funbox

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   

the amusing thing to me is it looks like its been cookie cut, from the crater next to it

funbox

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

my apologies , I really should refresh pages more often

twice repetition , bonus

funbox

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Ceres really amazes me by the day.. Now the reflective theory about those spots still holds seeing this image? Could a tremendous heat caused this mountain to turn into glass of some sort.. if so could the spots be so heated up that they eventually got so smooth as a mirror?

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Quick and dirty cut-out and flip. Pretty close in size...

edit on 8.26.2015 by Zarniwoop because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I see the bright spot looks even weirder close up.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: WP4YT
Clearly metal object of some sort. Looks a lot like the metal they use on probes. I can't believe it, we are finally close to the question "are we alone" being answered. If we didn't send that probe there, someone else did

Please. Stop it. Just stop it.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580
I see the bright spot looks even weirder close up.

That image is an older one. They haven't released an image of the bright spot crater yet at the new, much higher resolution we got that mountain at. Hopefully soon though.
edit on 26-8-2015 by AshOnMyTomatoes because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I just realized what the "Lonely Mountain" reminds me of:

That's Devil's Tower in Wyoming for those who aren't familiar. It's what's known as an "igneous intrusion", meaning it was a column of magma protruding into otherwise normal bedrock. The bedrock eroded away and left the hardened magma, still in intriguing geometrical arrangements, frozen into a tall monolith.

Granted, Devil's Tower isn't anywhere near 4 miles high, or shiny, but perhaps something similar has happened here. I believe someone mentioned a cryovolcano. Not much is known about how those work, so who knows?

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   
First thing that came to mind when I saw the picture in teh OP was it is the largest solar panal array in our Sol system
But having seen the other pictures it looks different. Could be teh mountain is made out of something like quartz so highly reflective.

Very interesting though

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join