It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unchain Your Mind

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Turn off the television.

Cease watching the news.

Close the magazine, put aside the newspaper, and stop visiting all those mainstream websites.

Are you bored yet? Are you getting edgy?

Good--that's the beginning.

Now keep the flat-screen off and hold the news at bay. Throw out the magazines and newspapers and delete all your bookmarks that have anything to do with popular pundits' opinion on what you should think, feel, say, do, believe.

Unplug from the cultural interface. Unchain yourself from its monolithic constructs.

Cease being homogenized.

Start being human.

I love hanging around little kids--because their thoughts roam free and their imaginations reach far, and they've yet been fully assimilated into the Borg-like construct we call society. They invent novel games and hold unconventional interests and have quirky conversations that typically have nothing to do with sports or weather or reality tv.

In short, they remember what it means to be human, to be inventive, to be real.

They have minds that roam free and far and untethered in all directions.

And from them we can learn a lot.

Because that amazing state only becomes possible if you have a brain that isn't filled with all the nonsense that passes for newsworthy information in this decaying civilization. It only becomes a potentiality once the cognitive powers of your intellect cease obsessing over the vapid nonsense promulgated as the bread and circuses of this strange society.

Your mind is a computer processor--and only when it's not running at 100% on news and sports and weather and television can it find idle time towards exploring unconventional lines of thought.

Only when it rests easy can it devote the necessary time and energy towards pondering things profound.

Only when it relaxes can your imagination regrow.

So give your brain a breather.

Detach from the cultural construct. Unchain your mind from the bondage of propaganda.

At first breaking that addiction will seem hard. Like a heroin addict you'll pine for your next fix of "entertainment."

But eventually that obsession will fade. Then you'll remember how to entertain yourself.

You'll start dreaming big dreams and exploring the limits of thought.

You'll start asking yourself the big questions like "who am I?" and "why did I incarnate here?" and "what's the meaning of my life?"

And without constant distractions from television and the internet, you'll actually have time to go seeking answers.

Over long spans spent in that self-imposed deprivation tank, your brain will empty itself of all the nonsense over which you once obsessed.

Then you'll have an opportunity towards finding out what truly matters in life.

You'll remember what it's like to play, to explore, to have fun.

You'll become a kid again--you'll laugh, you'll smile, you'll sing, you'll dance--and you'll finally be free.

All that becomes possible once you turn off the television and stop inundating yourself in this cultural deluge.

All that becomes inevitable once you unchain your mind and let your imagination roam.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   
This is the journey of learning who we really are. We are all at different levels in our own journey. The hardest thing in our reality I think is, learning to find peace and acceptance of others while they are on their own journey, at their own level, learning at their own pace.

To quote Terrence McKenna. "Culture is your operating system." Learning to break free from the confinement of societies belief systems is the start of the journey. Where it ends up, who knows.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I come to ATS for my news because there are a lot of interesting people on here who I trust. I know they often take different sides of an issue, but that helps me see it more clearly. And the people reporting on ATS are average people of all kinds just like I am.

About being free - it is not good to be controlled by the machine. There is more to life than rigid dogma and having the same opinion as everyone else does. Agreeing with the MSM puts you in a box and keeps you from escaping it and exploring other possibilities. There is a lot more to life than working and watching the news. Try being creative sometime, or having an adventure, or pulling out an old game or hobby.

Too often we are ruled by fear - but we need to unchain ourselves from what we fear so that we can focus on being free from it all and have open minds and feel young!
edit on 25pmTue, 25 Aug 2015 23:33:18 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I blasted my television with a shotgun.
I have performed a mycological experiment or two.
My brain is operating on a different level than is considered "normal."
Not a bad thing at all.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 11:42 PM
link   
And, your still here.....

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 12:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: scubagravy

Is that a trick question? I am very here...all things considered.
I'm not in Aussieland where Christmas happens in the summer.
Otherwise, I'm just riding this speck of dust in the Universe, same as you.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 01:15 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

Not at all mate, i just think to truely switch off, one must entirely do so.

Like if a said " hey guys, im going to be a vegetarian, but i'll still eat chicken nuggets"

To be honest, ATS is a fabulous site, but it still fills your head with crap, like the news, like tv, like anything else.

My boo boo, i thought i replied to the OP, not the cool monkey dude, sorry
edit on 26/8/2015 by scubagravy because: cause im an idiot

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 07:17 AM
link   
You forgot one of the more important bits: stop going to church and having someone else tell you what to believe.

Good thread, S&F.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 07:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: scubagravy

For sure, still here.

ATS still has signs of creativity and imagination. It's filled with interesting people posting interesting threads that often include a lot of unique thinking.

It's a good place to recharge the creative batteries and get inspired by others who think along unconventional lines.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 07:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
You forgot one of the more important bits: stop going to church and having someone else tell you what to believe.

Good thread, S&F.

Thanks

You brought up a good point, and I (half) agree with it.

I think it's a good thing to stop letting people tell you what to believe.

But I also think it's still a good idea to collect as many viewpoints about "correct beliefs" as possible, even if they come from organized religion. So then if you find enough overlap (e.g. the original tenets of pretty much every religion boil down to "be the best person you can be"), you can consider implementing those shared and time-tested ideas into your own ethical framework.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   
This post reminds me of a conversation I had with my wife a few weeks ago.

We were getting ready for a 7+ hour drive to go on vacation. We contemplated purchasing one of those portable DVD players that strap to the seat of the car for our 3 1/2 year old. Thinking back to my childhood and remembering staring out the window, seeing all different types of towns, bridges, scenery.... we decided not to pick up the DVD player.

The result? Although he got a little cranky here and there, for the most part he was mesmerized seeing farms, cows and all sorts of things he hasn't seen before. Much better than watching some movie for the um-teenth time

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: eluryh22
This post reminds me of a conversation I had with my wife a few weeks ago.

We were getting ready for a 7+ hour drive to go on vacation. We contemplated purchasing one of those portable DVD players that strap to the seat of the car for our 3 1/2 year old. Thinking back to my childhood and remembering staring out the window, seeing all different types of towns, bridges, scenery.... we decided not to pick up the DVD player.

The result? Although he got a little cranky here and there, for the most part he was mesmerized seeing farms, cows and all sorts of things he hasn't seen before. Much better than watching some movie for the um-teenth time

Fantastic point. Thanks for sparing your child the cultural programming.

After all, he probably learned and experienced way more along that voyage than he could've gotten from any DVD. Long drives are perfect for deep thoughts and reflective experiences.

It was on a drive from Germany to the Netherlands that I had an inspiration that led to me going vegetarian. I mentioned it in another thread titled Would You Cut the Cow?

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
I blasted my television with a shotgun.
I have performed a mycological experiment or two.
My brain is operating on a different level than is considered "normal."
Not a bad thing at all.

Skunkape23, you are awesome!

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Trachel

kids dont pay taxes, they dont work jobs, and they dont own cars or houses or...really anything. because all that stuff is taken care of, by people who DO pay taxes and work jobs and own houses and cars and stuff. they play with their imagination while we make the world function around them. be more like kids?

dude, gotta grow up someday.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm
dude, gotta grow up someday.

Begs the question: why equate "growing up" with murdering the imagination?

You can still have a vibrant active healthy imagination even when working a job and paying bills (and all that other fun stuff), because you can still detach from the sources of propaganda and homogenization like I explained above.

So for sure, keep making the world work. Keep your career and your car and whatever.

But geez, don't sell out your imagination. This society takes enough from us.

Don't let it take that.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

I don't care how old you are. You're still a kid trapped in an adult body.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Trachel

Begs the question: why equate "growing up" with murdering the imagination?

do you own a house? or rent an apartment? or have a vehicle? do you just "imagine" your gas into being or "imagine" your water into running without paying the bill? do you just "imagine" food into existence on your table? do you just "imagine" your sick kids into better health without taking them to a doctor or buying medicine?

imagination has its uses. and so does being responsible and earning a living. kids dont have to do that because they are kids. but no one stays a kid forever...and if they do, they have to be taken care of by someone who DID grow up and take accountability.
edit on 26-8-2015 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join