It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking believes he’s solved a huge mystery about black holes

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 11:48 PM
link   
This is not new, but still interesting.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 12:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

In direct answer to your question, Stephen Hawking has tightened the understanding of what happens at the event horizon. He has made earlier theory more rigorous, mathematically.

So, yes, a refinement and a reversal of his original opinion that information is lost.

Thanks, that's what I thought it probably had to be. Although, didn't Hawking already concede back in 2004 that information isn't lost? (The famous bet he made to the contrary finally being recanted?)

Peace.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 12:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: AceWombat04

originally posted by: chr0naut

In direct answer to your question, Stephen Hawking has tightened the understanding of what happens at the event horizon. He has made earlier theory more rigorous, mathematically.

So, yes, a refinement and a reversal of his original opinion that information is lost.

Thanks, that's what I thought it probably had to be. Although, didn't Hawking already concede back in 2004 that information isn't lost? (The famous bet he made to the contrary finally being recanted?)

Peace.

Yes, but like any scientific advancement, it opened up new questions which people theorized about, but didn't have the tools to verify their 'gut instinct'.

Sometimes what we initially think is likely, turns out to be highly unlikely when you test your assumptions.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Indeed.

I remember reading that at the time he joked that given the state the retrieved information would be in, he should have given the wager victor the ashes of the book he gave them instead of the book itself lol.

Peace.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger
I can actually wrap my small head around his view this time. To the naysayers to Mr. Hawkings credibility...he has always based his findings on mathematical theorem.

The one constant we have across light years of space in the billions...is math. Therefore.....

I'm not sure if you're trying to be funny but this is hilarious.

Your small head?

I can't even parse the second line, but it's brilliant; I think. Is this it?

The one constant we have(,) across light years of space(,) (in the billions(?))...is math. Therefore.....

Marvelous and true.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join