It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking believes he’s solved a huge mystery about black holes

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Kapusta

I've been talking about this for weeks. It comes down to this. About 40 years ago Hawking and his colleagues came to an impasse regarding fundamental laws about gravity. Hawking said "everything" is destroyed when it goes into a black hole, except this causes a paradox to classical physics because the law is, matter and energy can not be destroyed. However, according to QM the mathematical calculations, gravity can be achieved in 2 dimensions but we live in 3 dimensions...right? Well, the only way for 3d math and 2d math to end up with the same results is if ...drum roll please....WE are in 2d. In other words, the event horizon of a black holes is 2 dimensional but it's projecting in 3d. The only way this can happen is if we are in a hologram.

WHOA. Ya, that's right.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: AnteBellum
I thought this theory was what that other famous physicist came up with first. He started out as a plumber and had some type of arguement with Hawkins over this very issue until Hawkins finally conceded to its validity. . .

Can't remember his name, sorry.

As already said Leonard Susskind

I find it remarkable that media cannot tell the whole story so that the other people who are involved get some credit.
edit on 26-8-2015 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   
My friend and I had this dialog:

S: 'I can see why Hawkings (she calls him Hawkings) likes this. He's into pondering the math."

A: (me). Yeah, it keeps him busy...it keeps him off the street (nudge, nudge)

S: 'Well that's good because otherwise he's getting run over..."

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
i'm not so sure he'd get ran over:

edit on 26-8-2015 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I can actually wrap my small head around his view this time. To the naysayers to Mr. Hawkings credibility...he has always based his findings on mathematical theorem.

The one constant we have across light years of space in the billions...is math. Therefore.....
edit on 26-8-2015 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Firstly old theory, circa 2010, secondly there is a theoretical exit aperture for black holes. Given that there would be no need of information storage in the event horizon. It is not the destruction of matter, or energy, or information. It would seam the most likely solution to the function of a black hole would be condense and compress matter and energy for conservation, the exit aperture emits x-ray and gamma ray bursts, this is the information converted into a new format. (kinda like zipping files on your PC)

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: AceWombat04
a reply to: Maverick7

Slight addendum: I meant to say crushed at the singularity (or, as you say, intact but irretrievable.)

But my main question is: is this really new, or just a refinement of the existing theory that already expounded on this years ago?

Peace.

In direct answer to your question, Stephen Hawking has tightened the understanding of what happens at the event horizon. He has made earlier theory more rigorous, mathematically.

So, yes, a refinement and a reversal of his original opinion that information is lost.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Wookiep
Lol we don't even know what light is, either.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: FlySolo

The universe is on a flat plane so that actually makes sense. I remembering reading Egyptians knew this.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   
So, if we had a black hole of manageable size, whatever that is, and we funneled enough antimatter into the black hole would that cause the black hole to evaporate? Or would the massive gravity remove any distinction between regular and antimatter, thereby increasing the mass of the black hole?

edit on 8/26/2015 by Sparky63 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: sycomix

Firstly old theory, circa 2010, secondly there is a theoretical exit aperture for black holes. Given that there would be no need of information storage in the event horizon. It is not the destruction of matter, or energy, or information. It would seam the most likely solution to the function of a black hole would be condense and compress matter and energy for conservation, the exit aperture emits x-ray and gamma ray bursts, this is the information converted into a new format. (kinda like zipping files on your PC)

I think all you would need is an observer at least as old as the universe keeping track of everything that falls into every black hole.That way no information is lost. Mere mortals would never be able to access that information though, nor could they conceive of a way to interpret it, so for them it would indeed seem that information was lost.
The problem is that the ancient observer considers this information proprietary knowledge and keeps it hidden away from our view.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Thank you.

I needed someone like you to jump start my memory.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Sparky63

However. IF we could unscramble the information, then theoretically could we not view every single thing that has ever happened at anytime in the history of the universe?

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sparky63
So, if we had a black hole of manageable size, whatever that is, and we funneled enough antimatter into the black hole would that cause the black hole to evaporate? Or would the massive gravity remove any distinction between regular and antimatter, thereby increasing the mass of the black hole?

Wow, you're thinking!

I believe that, yes, antimatter has positive mass and would contribute to the mass of the black hole.

The matter-antimatter annihalation within the event horizon would be entirely contained as the energy released could not escape.

... but I will admit that this is based upon what we think we know of physics external to a singularity, and may not be the case.

... negative energy, however, would be another thing entirely. You have got me thinking now!

edit on 26/8/2015 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest

So many theories about a phenomenon that hasn't even been observed yet, let alone proven to even exist.

Sounds more like religion than science to me.

Reminds me of the various states of Evolution, oh wait these are the same scientists who have all had the same training, geee i wonder if that plays a role.

The Big Bang Theory, LOL.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Ofcourse hes ben watching Interstellar

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   
A black hole is a cosmic anchor and lintel to celestial structure and form. It also doubles up as a check and balance, and refuge manager to asymmetry.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I'm grateful for the science popularizers, like him and Bill Nye. Someone needs to speak up against such widespread nonsense as Creationism, anti-vaxxers, anti-GMO. My post simply pointed out that are there are others doing unheralded work that has more significance.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Black holes are not really equivalent to the popular idea people have of them from the media.

Think about it for a second, what is your idea of a black hole? Is it some object that can send us light years into the future or past? Perhaps it is something god left, just to show us that he was great.

A black hole is considered to be, and I say this literally, a complete lack of information. We should all read that again for clarity.

We truly have no idea what happens when the mass of an object reaches the point at which its gravitation overcomes its ability to sustain itself as a physical object.

The rest is conjecture, and fun.

I like fun too.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Parthin96
I'm grateful for the science popularizers, like him and Bill Nye. Someone needs to speak up against such widespread nonsense as Creationism, anti-vaxxers, anti-GMO. My post simply pointed out that are there are others doing unheralded work that has more significance.

Duly noted , Now do you have any thoughts on the topic ?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join