It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking believes he’s solved a huge mystery about black holes

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Hawking focused on something called the information paradox, which continues to puzzle scientists who study black holes. In a nutshell, the paradox involves the fact that information about the star that formed a black hole seems to be lost inside it, presumably disappearing when the black hole inevitably disappears. These things cannot be lost, according to the way we think the universe works, and physicists generally believe that they aren't really lost. But where does the information go when the black hole that's absorbed it goes kaput?

So from what I gather his new theory is focused around the idea that information about the start is not stored within the black hole but rather in in" its boundary ,the event horizon ". A concept he implies "could change our concept of time ".

" Hawking said. The event horizon is the sort of shell around a black hole, past which all matter will be drawn into the dense object's powerful embrace.

According to Hawking's idea, the particles that enter a black hole leave traces of their information on the event horizon. When particles come back out — in a phenomenon called Hawking Radiation — they carry some of that information back out, preserving it.

Wow , very interesting stuff I am still trying to wrap my head around this . Maybe someone with more Knowledge of Physics can contribute to this .

Thoughts ?

More to read HERE

edit on 06/17/2015 by Kapusta because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I really think he is a nutjob, he should volunteer to go first then.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Nevermind, the way this thread is written, my answer which was on the other thread wouldn't be right.

lol
edit on 25-8-2015 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: Kapusta

So many theories about a phenomenon that hasn't even been observed yet, let alone proven to even exist.

Sounds more like religion than science to me.
edit on 25-8-2015 by BELIEVERpriest because: added comment

+13 more 
link   

originally posted by: proob4
I really think he is a nutjob, he should volunteer to go first then.

I am sorry but I am not sure what this comment has in reference to the information contained in this thread ?

If you have anything Intelligent to add please do so .

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Another guess about black holes...

Hell we dunno what is at the bottom of our oceans, maybe the answers to the black hole is down there...

LOL

Just saying Academia, can get pretty vane...

+8 more 
posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I shall read the information. Sir Stephen Hawking has more than earned the respect of the scientific community and those who say he is a nutcase...well...
Thanks OP

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj
I shall read the information. Sir Stephen Hawking has more than earned the respect of the scientific community and those who say he is a nutcase...well...
Thanks OP

Exactly SIR Stephen Hawking...

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Hawking could be right, but who's to say? I think when it comes to the universe, and black holes etc, we are in the same stage as when people thought the Earth was flat. (Yes, I know there are some even on ATS who still think that lol)
edit on 25-8-2015 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest

So many theories about a phenomenon that hasn't even been observed yet, let alone proven to even exist.

Sounds more like religion than science to me.

I respect half of your opinion but i find it an Elementary at best .

In recent decades, scientists have gathered much observational evidence for the existence of black holes. As the name suggests, we cannot see black holes themselves, but we can observe the effect a black hole has on its environment. As black holes devour the matter around them, this material forms an accretion disk, which radiates primarily in the X-ray band of the electromagnetic spectrum. - Furthermore, when black holes occur in multiple star systems, we can witness their gravitational effects on the visible companion stars. In fact, the first true black hole candidate, Cygnus X-1, was discovered because of its strong X-ray emission and its gravitational effect on a tightly orbiting massive star. Similarly, the supermassive black hole in the center of the Milky Way, Sagittarius A*, was confirmed by astronomers monitoring the orbit of star S0-2 (abbreviated S2) over its 15 ½ year period. - See more at: www.skyandtelescope.com...

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   
He's Mr. Pop-physics. Glad he gets people thinking about science. The important work is being done by other people, however.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 09:35 PM
link   

exactly, we do not understand their purpose, what they are, or why they exist in the universe...

Totally beyond our understanding of nature..

Yet we observe them, and try to assume their purpose, and academia, pats each other on the back with each guess made, that sounds intellectual to themselves.. with of course our flawed physics as a crouch...

Don't get me wrong, it is the best we have...

I am just not going to drink the kool aid..

It is a interesting read, but a man's theory at best, and to remain so..

We are talking about events happening billions and billions of light years away, I am saying it is far away, for all we know it is something else at it's place in the universe than what we think it is so far away.. For all we know we are recording something disguised, from it's present shape...

We don't know crap...

link   

originally posted by: Parthin96
He's Mr. Pop-physics. Glad he gets people thinking about science. The important work is being done by other people, however.

Glad you feel that way , now do you have anything to Add to his new theory ?

link   

originally posted by: Parthin96

See this here? This makes me shake my head in shame.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bicent76

exactly, we do not understand their purpose, what they are, or why they exist in the universe...

Totally beyond our understanding of nature..

Yet we observe them, and try to assume their purpose, and academia, pats each other on the back with each guess made, that sounds intellectual to themselves.. with of course our flawed physics as a crouch...

Don't get me wrong, it is the best we have...

I am just not going to drink the kool aid..

It is a interesting read, but a man's theory at best, and to remain so..

We are talking about events happening billions and billions of light years away, I am saying it is far away, for all we know it is something else at it's place in the universe than what we think it is so far away.. For all we know we are recording something disguised, from it's present shape...

We don't know crap...

So I guess the Higgs boson and other proven theory's are just crap to right ?

If we didn't have black holes we would not have singularities .....

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I realize there are objects that we call black holes, because they appear to absorb electromagnetic radiation. That is one thing, but to go as far as saying that these objects are infinitely dense with infinite gravity without having an objective way to measure them is infinitely irresponsible.

I believe in parallel universes, and I believe there are gate ways to them, but I doubt it requires infinite gravity and density. And I doubt black holes serve as those gate ways.

Many of my beliefs are based on nothing more than faith, but I'm not the one calling myself a scientist.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   
It seems to mainly be about entropy, I have always thought that entropy is the key to everything.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   

we are observing them from afar.. Bring us to their present time, and prove to me the same thing is recorded...

Than you have proven to me what it is they are..

Until then to be honest, they are recording the remnants of the anomaly.

LOL

I agree their is something strange out there, we call a black hole, but we don't know what the hell it is...

Don't be vane and tell me you know what it is..

LOL
edit on 8 25 2015 by Bicent76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest
I realize there are objects that we call black holes, because they appear to absorb electromagnetic radiation. That is one thing, but to go as far as saying that these objects are infinitely dense with infinite gravity without having an objective way to measure them is infinitely irresponsible.

I believe in parallel universes, and I believe there are gate ways to them, but I doubt it requires infinite gravity and density. And I doubt black holes serve as those gate ways.

Many of my beliefs are based on nothing more than faith, but I'm not the one calling myself a scientist.

So we have Observational evidence that suggests black holes or event horizons exist ,yet you discount that ?

however you chose to believe in a "parallel universe " that we have no observational evidence of ( at least none that i have found ).

With all due respect sir that does not make much sens to me .....

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Funny, I just yesterday watched The Theory Of Everything.

Now today, Stephen is making headlines

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join