It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suggestions for other games like the Myst series

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 04:21 AM
link   
I am a huge fan of the Myst series and currently indulging in the Uru Online version. I was wondering what other games are out there that are like Myst. I have played Neverhood, quite an old puzzle game but the crazy claymation is a real treat and very different visually. I also played Secret Files:Tunguska, another beautifully designed older game. I have also gone through numerous browser point and click games (even purchasing the full versions in some cases) e.g. Machinarium by Aminita Design, Daymare Town, Covert Front and the Submachine series. All wonderfully enjoyable, but not quite as up there as the Myst series.

So, ATS Collective: Gamer Division, what can you suggest that is Myst-like to play?

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Myst games were basically "solve puzzle to get from point A to point B" while in a very rich looking environment. They were also Point and Click playstyle, using pre-rendered images, with the exceptions of Uru and Myst V, which were real time rendering and free movement.

I imagine that you're looking for the "get from point A to B by solving puzzles in a rich environment".

Off the top if my head (as it's very early for me, with only half a cup of coffee in me), I can think of two games. They are very old, and I don't know if you can get them anymore:

Schizm

RHEM

Beyond Atlantis 2

All of these were also the Point and Click play style.

Again, all I can think of off the top of my head.

I don't remember too many games that were like Uru (or MOUL) being real time rendered with 3d movement, that were pure adventure based. Most are RPGs, shooters, etc.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 04:55 AM
link   
a reply to: CthulhuMythos

The Longest Journey was a well received and reviewed Myst like game.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 05:47 AM
link   
I too loved the MYST games. Kept me enthrawled for hours.
a reply to: CthulhuMythos

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 05:59 AM
link   
I loved some of the ZORK games.

They started as text based and then evolved into 3D point & click.

Look for:

"Zork, Grand Inquisitor" and "Zork, Nemesis".

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Thank you all for the suggestions so far, will be checking all of them out

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 08:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: CthulhuMythos

Thank you all for the suggestions so far, will be checking all of them out

there's two ways to download and play whole game demos, so you could experiment. both of these install an interface on your desktop so you can access their library of games. the first link lets you play for as long as you want, as long as you don't close the game. the second one, has like an one hour time limit.

one is
www.wildtangent.com...
the other is
games.yahoo.com...

then there are several sites with smaller games, like:
www.games.com...
www.miniclip.com...

that oughta keep ya busy for awhile. hehe

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 08:57 AM
link   
oh man, myst, i used to love that game. what a blast from the past. high nostalgic value for me.

there are two other games, old ones that came out around the same time that came to mind.

puzzle solving, point and click, mystery kind of games. both of which have a kind of horror feel to them.

The 7th Guest & The 11th Hour. probably a little dated by now, but used to be pretty great.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I also loved the Myst games, but haven't been playing games for many years until recently I found a game for my android phone. If you like the mysty games, you will love these. Its called "The Room" and there is also a part two. They are not as big as the myst games, but still I really enjoyed them. I just googled to find a vid and I found there are also PC versions of the game.

www.fireproofgames.com...

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: CallmeRaskolnikov
oh man, myst, i used to love that game. what a blast from the past. high nostalgic value for me.

there are two other games, old ones that came out around the same time that came to mind.

puzzle solving, point and click, mystery kind of games. both of which have a kind of horror feel to them.

The 7th Guest & The 11th Hour. probably a little dated by now, but used to be pretty great.

Dohh you beat me to it, 7th guest and 11th Hour were the two I was gona suggest...

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Ahhh , pixel hunters . My favorite was an old game for the 8bit Nintendo called Shadowgate.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: sycomix

hahah, and here i am thinking i'm the only one who remembered those two gems!

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: undo

a reply to: CallmeRaskolnikov

a reply to: Greenbike

oooOOOOooh these are all looking good! Now hunting to buy a few downloads for the PC, just hope they play on Win 7

Thank you for all the suggestions I really really appreciate your help. I love gaming and still love the MMO's like Age of Conan and Elder Scrolls Online, but I do get fed up with the constant mindless battles.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   
So far I have managed to track down The Room, The Longest Journey, Dreamfall: The Longest Journey, The 11th Hour & 7th Guest all on Steam! Will hunt for the rest in the near future.

Thanks again

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Greenbike I have just finished The Room -wow it was fantastic. The design was fabulous, the puzzles were excellent and the animated sequences a sheer delight. I bought the PC version from steam but sadly there is no part 2, that is only available as an Apple, Android or Kindle download for hand helds at present
Hoping they eventually release it for PC.

Fab suggestion, thank you so much

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Oh, there's plenty of Myst-like inspiration still left in Cyan, they're is releasing Obduction later this year. Here's an interview from earlier in August about it:
www.onlysp.com...

I've been on the edge of my seat waiting for this since the Kickstarter for it launched

new topics

top topics

join