It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sweeping generalizations and the lack of difference between this and stereotyped bigotry.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 02:12 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Not grim, yet. Not to me at least. Just saddening.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 05:14 AM
link   
a reply to: pfishy

What I mean by that, is that humanity is always in a battle with entropy, and unlike much of the rest of the animal kingdom, we have extensive ability to modify ourselves, and our environment to better suit our needs. The trouble with that, is that very few people are equipped to interact with that fundamental truth on any but the shallowest of levels. This means that people genuinely have no understanding of what they are about when they go to work, build houses, lay roads, or erect dams. All they are thinking about, is the immediate, and physical consequences of their actions more often than not. Aim A means that process B must occur, end of logic chain.

But because the battle with entropy is a fundamental part of the human experience, and has an aim much larger in scope than any one project, no matter how big or small, we miss out on the macro effect of our actions all the time, and this leads to problems. For example, trying to solve a proxy war situation by arming local rebels is all very well, but it leads to unregulated spread of arms and munitions, military gear in the hands of maladjusted whackjobs and charismatic psychopaths, and decades of misery for innocent people in the regions affected by the issue. Someone aware of the necessity for the battle with entropy, would choose another route, but most folk are only interested in achieving small aims, over small time scales, which means that the battle for entropy, despite all the things that we have done, all the creations we have wrought as a species, being threatened by the results of small thoughts, had by small minded people, down narrow, blinkered paths.

For the ongoing battle with entropy to serve us best, every one of us must be aware of the results of our actions, and by so being, alter the way we live in such a way that the battle with entropy is won by degrees. Every time disparate ethnic groups come together to solve a problem, every time leaders who are at loggerheads sit down at a table to talk, every time choices are made which bring us closer together and unify our purpose as people on the planet, we are the victors.

Whenever choices are made on any level, which divide us, we are defeated.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 05:44 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Very well said my friend, and very true as well.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 07:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: pfishy
a reply to: odzeandennz

If I cared about stars and flags, I'd have quit visiting this site long ago. It's "Deny Ignorance", not "Win The Frigging Popularity Contest".
And while I'm well familiar with the Internet Hate Machine, this is one of the few good sites where it seems to have not taken very firm roots yet. So I try to do my damn best to help it stay good.

Hate is a relative thing; as is bigotry, racism, homophobia etc. Especially online.

If someone agrees with anothers point of view, they find the post insightful and the person delightful.

However, if people disagree with the exact same post, they find the post hateful and directed personally at them to make them upset and to challenge their inner being.

It is a symptom of a society where
"not hurting someones feelings" is the #1 rule of morality and ethics.

With that we all become haters when we disagree
with an idea that another has.

People have been trained to be so sensitive
about everything with political correctness
that they take someone disagreeing with them (even fairly politely)
to be a personal attack on their personhood. I see it all the time.

Sometimes a sweeping generalization
is used to make a point.
As in the paragraph above.
But the generalization is in no way intended
to be racist or bigoted but rather to make a point on an issue.

It is the oversensitivity that is being encouraged
by the media and the popular culture
that turns a generalization to make a salient point
into a personal attack, when it was never intended
as a personal attack on anyone's personhood.

ATS is a perfect microcosm of this phenomenon.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: pfishy
a reply to: trifecta

Well, sure, but what exact sphere of influence are you wielding on this site? It's not like everyone here is of the same political, socioeconomic or educational ilk.

ATS is a poor man's media machine.

Why do I say that?

Probably most of us have no real influence
politically, financially etc. But we have ATS

I have seen through the years a few memes that
were generated on ATS, at least the first time
I encountered them was on ATS, end up on
a TV or radio show. It is one place where one
person has a chance to make a difference in
the world.

I firmly believe that one person
can make a difference in the world. ATS gives
us politically, financially etc bereft souls a
place to try and change the world for what we
see as the good.

Of course, there will always be those who disagree
and say we are trying to force our will on others
if they disagree with what we have to say. And
cry the favorite insult meme of the day, bigot, homophobe,
racist, Christian, whatever.
That is all a part of
being on ATS in order to try and made a difference
in the world.

One has to put up with the product
of our world, a whining self centered, self
absorbed infantile mentality, encouraged
by the media, the schools, TV etc.,
in order to attempt to change the world.

edit on 8Tue, 25 Aug 2015 08:27:40 -0500am82508amk252 by grandmakdw because: addition

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

Rather succinct observation. And exactly what I mean. Disagreement has become tantamount to animosity it most people's minds it seems. And the tendency to leap to personal attacks instead of debating their point of view is weak, but increasingly common. It's easy to say anyone who doesn't agree with you is a bigot, because the society as a whole is being taught that we're all subcategories of people as a whole, and we're all being victimized somehow. With obvious exceptions of course.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join