It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reading the Future

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   
For many the future seems like an enigma inscrutable.

But in truth its just a logical extrapolation of foundations already constructed.

Your mind prompts and dictates your behaviors--and it consists of nothing more than neural networks of synaptic connections ingrained into different depths depending upon the frequency and intensity with which those actions occur. It's nothing more than a collection of habits that you mistake for your authentic self, and those habits you tend repeat with reckless abandon.

Thus because of that proclivity towards unthinking regurgitation of habit, the future is something that can be reasonably ascertained in significant part--for pieces and parts of it are constantly coming into existence once the conditions prerequisite for their appearance occurs.

Sound complex? It isn't, really.

All that means is that your past behaviors influence your present actions. And your present actions help catalyze the future into being.

So by examining your past and present state, you can reasonably ascertain the trajectory upon which you travel. Then just like measuring the velocity and angle of a cannonball launching, you can reasonably estimate where it (and you) will eventually land at some future time.

But let's back up for a second and put that into concrete form. Let's shade in some clarity with details.

About five years ago I was at the office in the morning chatting with someone via text. He'd had just gotten a job working telecom and was complaining that his coworkers were horrible and the environment was negative.

In short he thought the job was completely awful. And he wanted out ASAP.

"Start saving money immediately," I advised. "Save enough and you can open a business and start working for yourself."

A week went by and nothing. Two weeks went by and zilch.

He had the option to start saving towards freedom, but he continued spending every last penny on nonsense.

"You could save at least 20-30 a month if you stopped using a smartphone," I advised. " And you could save a lot more if you bought an older car and got cheaper insurance."

"That won't get me enough money," he complained. "I need way more than a few hundred dollars."

But what he completely disregarded was the value of aggregation. What he ignored was the accumulation of wealth over time.

A few hundred dollars a month is a few thousand dollars each year. And that would've gone a long way towards funding his escape from that torment.

But that advice he also ignored, and by so doing he locked his future into being. Then I could say with disappointing assurance:

"In five years you'll still be at that job. And you'll be even more miserable than before."

Well, five years passed. He's still at that job. He's even more miserable than before.

Am I a soothsayer? Am I a psychic savant?

Of course not--I just determined the natural consequence of his behavioral trend. I analyzed the trajectory his actions placed him upon and I made an apropos prediction.

Reading his current habits I saw his unwillingness towards change, then could immediately ascertain where those actions would deposit him in the future.

This isn't magic--but it can seem magical to those who lack awareness of extrapolating trends. And it can work miracles in helping you avoid unpleasant outcomes in times ahead.

Take five minutes to write down your daily habits. Scrutinize everything from your dietary regime to your exercise plan to your hobbies at night. Examine how you spend your time and money and energy.

Then for each activity ask yourself a simple question: If I continue performing this habit at the exact same frequency, where will it lead me in five years? And how will that predicted outcome change if I perform it more/less?

Seriously, try it. You'll learn a lot about yourself, you'll learn a lot about where you're heading in the future.

And you'll have a chance to see in advance whether that's someplace you want to be.

Start reading the future from your past and present habits.

Start ascertaining your trajectory moving forward in time.

Take the habits of today and estimate where they'll lead you tomorrow.

Then you'll know with reasonable certainty where you'll wind up.

And you'll see in advance how your life will unfold.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 03:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Trachel

If it is truly your mind, and you are aware of it in more than a metaphysical supposition, then you are free to analyze how it is programmed. Therefore, you are not merely the sum if it's prompts and reactions, but a truly cognizant being capable of meeting every situation with contemplation and reaction, rather than programming and reaction. Ouspensky wasn't stupid.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 07:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: pfishy

If it is truly your mind, and you are aware of it in more than a metaphysical supposition, then you are free to analyze how it is programmed. Therefore, you are not merely the sum if it's prompts and reactions, but a truly cognizant being capable of meeting every situation with contemplation and reaction, rather than programming and reaction. Ouspensky wasn't stupid.

Too true.

But sadly for most people they assume that little voice in their heads is actually them. So they obey its relentless commands and become a product of habitual reaction that leads towards disappointing inevitabilities when they get locked into negative/unproductive behavior patterns.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Most people are actually terrified of the concept that they are innately responsible for who they are and what they do, despite the platitudes they tell themselves. "Oh, well I'm like this because daddy drank and mommy didn't hug me enough", "I was bullied so I'm this way".
Absolute falsehood. Nothing more than a crutch to avoid the frightening concept that we can all be whatever sort of person we wish. Barring some organic neurological disease, of course.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   

But before the question even has a chance to form, no, I am absolutely not a Scientologist. But Hubbard did have some useful insights.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: pfishy

But before the question even has a chance to form, no, I am absolutely not a Scientologist. But Hubbard did have some useful insights.

Haha, Taoism and Buddhism had those ideas first.

Check The Taoist Classics Volume 1 and The Classics of Zen and Buddhism Vol 1 if you wanna see some of the original sources behind Hubbard's "ideas."

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   

When the goal is the same, you run the same course. Just cause you picture the goal differently doesnt mean the changes makes you happy, in the most cases the problem is you trying to make the world to your liking.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I just wanted to say, that I have been constantly drawn to your posts. Thank you for sharing your heart and writings with us. Every time I have asked myself, "Why am I here?" "What have I come here to do?" The resounding answer is, "To learn how to love."

Your writing resonates with me. There is a wonderful group of people at Zengardner that would love to meet you, I am sure. I have been away for awhile, but the hearts align.

Thank you Trachel, for the sunshine you bring to ATS.
Much love, Carla

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: frayedknot

Thanks, Carla!

Sorry for not responding sooner--I just saw this post.

Yeah, I find ATS to be a great forum for sharing these kinds of musings. The responses I get are usually pretty insightful, and the negativity typically only comes from one or two known sources.

I'll check out zengardner--I'm a Taoist (you could also call me Buddhist and I wouldn't be mad), so it sounds like that site/forum would be right up my alley.

Cheers for the recommendation! (and of course for the kind words!)

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   

It seems ike common sense that you can "predict" your future to some degree, by using.....common sense.

I object to your example of this co worker not willing to "change his life" by saving a measily 1000 dollars or so, a year.

As if that will ever get to a life changing amount. One setback and its gone again.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   

There is a rather simple sentence for this.

If you keep doing what you always have done, you will get what you always got.

s&f

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheAristTocratS

It seems ike common sense that you can "predict" your future to some degree, by using.....common sense.

I object to your example of this co worker not willing to "change his life" by saving a measily 1000 dollars or so, a year.

As if that will ever get to a life changing amount. One setback and its gone again.

That's my friend's attitude as well. Why bother saving if it's only a "paltry" amount.

Well, he needs that money more than he needs the rubbish he's currently spending it on.

And I changed my life by saving a modest amount each year. I used to be stuck working for a big bank. Now I'm a published author who sets his own schedule and lives an admittedly modest, but entirely free from coercion life.

And that all became possible because I cut back on unnecessary expenses and saved that money, instead.

So while you'd consider a few thousand a year to be nothing, to someone like him with no savings, seeing that much money in his bank account would be a game-changer.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: earthling42

There is a rather simple sentence for this.

If you keep doing what you always have done, you will get what you always got.

s&f

Well said!

Unfortunately, people love rationalizing their wasteful behaviors. So they rarely stop and consider that the path they took that leads them nowhere (sitting around playing games constantly, sitting around watching television constantly, never honing the mind or improving the spirit) will continue leading them nowhere in the future.

The netherlands are beautiful, btw. You're living in a great place.

edit on 30-8-2015 by Trachel because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join