It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where do I go if I have an idea?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   
One thing I'd love to know is where I go if I have an idea? I have so many ideas coming to me everyday that requires a good amount of knowledge in technology, research and basically anything requiring a complex amount of electrical science-y stuff. The problem is, I am like a caveman looking at an iPhone when it comes to how technology ACTUALLY works. Maybe not so far as a caveman but you get my point. Where would I start in finding the right people AND NOT get my idea stolen by them. I've known a few people who've presented ideas to people they knew who had knowledge on how to make it and the next thing they knew, the people they spoke to ended up making it for themselves, and profiting.

I've scanned Kickstarter's tech section, hoping that someone would precent a brief history on how they got to the Kickstarter stage but I've had no luck. Who do I look for, where do I look for them and how can I prevent my idea(s) from getting stolen? HOW DO I GET TO THE KICKSTARTER STAGE!?

Many thanks!

edit on 24-8-2015 by jonwhite866 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: jonwhite866

There are ways to protect your intellectual property.

www.blogtrepreneur.com...

The first step is to find an attorney you can trust that deals in intellectual property rights. Even then
there are predators out there looking for ideas they can capitalize on. They're everywhere!!!

Kickstarter and indygogo and all crowdfunding entities can help if you know how to traverse that landscape.

Kickstarter never did much for me. There are much better ones.

edit on 24-8-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I would patent it before sharing.

Steps to Filing a Patent Application
Keep a Careful Record of Your Invention. Record every step of the invention process in a notebook. ...
Make Sure Your Invention Qualifies for Patent Protection. ...
Assess the Commercial Potential of Your Invention. ...
Do a Thorough Patent Search. ...
Prepare and File an Application With the USPTO.

Even if you don't know all the tech inside your idea or device, get the general idea patented before dealing with anyone, so it doesn't get stolen.

I've had a ton of ideas. They are the easy part. Being able to market, manufacture in quantity, which can cost millions, is the big hangup.

There are other ways to get this done, such as outsourcing mfg process, sales process etc., all for a nice percentage of course.

You can also get the patent rights and lease those for a percentage of each unit sold until the patent runs out.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I know, it's an untrustworthy world out there. I already run a business so trusting people isn't really my forte, but I've never started a product oriented one before so I'm a little more protective over my ideas. I'll take a look at that blog, thanks for the link!

Intellectual property is something I'm very familiar with. It's proving a product is yours that's the tough bit if you haven't got a prototype made.
edit on 24-8-2015 by jonwhite866 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Here's a contest I enter.

contest.techbriefs.com...

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: jonwhite866
a reply to: olaru12

I know, it's an untrustworthy world out there. I already run a business so trusting people isn't really my forte, but I've never started a product oriented one before so I'm a little more protective over my ideas. I'll take a look at that blog, thanks for the link!

Intellectual property is something I'm very familiar with. It's proving a product is yours that's the tough bit if you haven't got a prototype made.

When I was a product designer, I just tried to beat my competition to the marketplace and never really did anything except copyright the name. You are going to get knocked off and it's more trouble than it's worth to pursue legal action.
Currently my intellectual property consist of ideas, treatments, screenplays, teasers, trailers and scripts for the entertainment industry. Copy-writing is easy but having an attorney ready to write the cease and desist letters is mandatory and be ready to sue the bastards. It's a nasty business....

www.clickandcopyright.com...

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

Patents are what I'd start with, if it didn't come with ridiculous costs. Spending near or above £1,000 for an idea isn't my ideal move if I'm not sure how to make it or if it's even possible. The only thing I'm doing at the moment to secure my IP is logging everything I come up with.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Haven't you seen the George Foreman commercial for Invent Help?
I swear they run it every hour.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

The what? Never heard of it. What's it about?

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 11:40 PM
link   
The bottom line is NEVER store your marketable ideas/inventions on an electronic device. The main, hidden purpose of data collection is preemptive theft of exactly this subject matter. Go analog, pen and pad.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Yikes, that is more expensive than I had expected.

I heard somewhere that you can actually just document your ideas. No expenses involved. Detailed designs etc, then have it signed and dated by a notary.

Write up contract stating the idea is yours and they will not use it when dealing with a mfg. If they do, you will have a legal case against them.

I would verify this first, but have heard of cases being won in this situation with napkin drawings of plans.

I would take it another step and get it notarized so there is no question of timeline.

Good luck! Sounds like exciting

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 12:54 AM
link   
You could try: www.edisonnation.com

This website is the online version of the Edison Nation TV show and I've submitted several inventions to them already (with two reaching finalist stage where they were pitched to actual interested companies - no luck yet though).

Edison Nation and any parties they present your idea(s) to all sign NDAs (Non-Disclosure Agreements) that are legally binding. If you wish you can file a patent beforehand (although if a submission wins a "product search" they will actually pay all the costs of patenting it as well if needed).

Each submission costs only $25 for "non-insiders" and $20 for "insiders". I'm an insider myself and one of the perks is that you can submit a paid submission into any other product searches for free as well.

I hope this helps.

edit on 25-8-2015 by redrazor because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 02:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

Thanks for the tip. Luckily I know a few solicitors so I can have them help out with the contract. That can be a pain to sort out at times haha.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 02:17 AM
link   
a reply to: redrazor

Awesome thanks, the US has always seemed to be the place for business owners like myself with these programs and so on. The UK really lacks them so we're stuck having to go out and spend thousands upon thousands just to patent our ideas. I'll assume that Edison Nation allow for those on the other side of the world and not just the US?

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 02:30 AM
link   
I had a great idea and found out it had been patented.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 04:01 AM
link   
The what? Never heard of it. What's it about?

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Maybe they don't run the ad in your area but where I live it seems like it's on every hour. I'm sure you've heard of the George Foreman grill? He supposedly came up with the idea and used this company to help launch it. (I'm sure George Foreman had enough money from his days as a boxer to help him get it off the ground).

Anyways, don't really know much about exactly what this company does to help you launch your idea. It's a service that helps you get a patent, takes care of documentation and can draw up technical drawings for the manufacturing process.
It seems like it has gotten some pretty good reviews. Here's a sample of them...

Invent Help Consumer Reviews

Hope this helps!

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Yes, Edison Nation accepts international submissions and you get a tremendous leg up with a small submission fee. At least one invention there was entered as a napkin sketch and won a licensing deal.

The staff and fellow inventors there are very accessible and helpful. Keep in mind, however, that they receive thousands of submissions so your idea has to be the best of the best.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

Ahh okay, I'm in the UK which is why I've never seen or heard of this. George Forman Grill I have but we don't really have commercials like this over here which is a little frustrating haha. Thanks for the info!

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Whateve you do don't give anyone any complete idea and specifics....there are people with more $ and resources to make it before you do...stealing it and jumping on it before you get back in your car, or offline!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join