It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Long Range Strike Bomber News: Multiple Sources Reporting Northrop Grumman has won the Contract

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: SonOfThor

These are engineers needed for R&D work. They've been moved to other R&D programs for future competitions. Most of them went to the new fighter program.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: M5xaz

A few months ago Northrop moved several billion dollars, and all but a handful of engineers out of the bomber program to start work on other programs. In the past when a company has done that, they've always lost the competition they were in.

And this is a move Northrop publicly announced ?

Thanks

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: M5xaz

Yes, that's how it was found out about. Just a little blurb in passing in another article.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Knowing the bits and pieces that I do regarding the LRSB, its clear that the Boeing /Lockheed design will be the winner.

For reasons Zaph mentioned plus a few comments I've heard from a systems engineer I know who lives in San Diego but has been spending a lot of time in Seattle.

It was my impression that the powers that be who control the purse strings had lost faith in the Northrop Grumman team due to disorganization and infighting.

Of course that is just a rumor too.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   
well its nto a surprise the boeing one will win. although the LRSB does look nice under a huge white sheet.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Wasn't it reported somewhere that the selection committee was gonna draw this out pretty much as long as possible to reduce the chances that the decision could get overturned on an appeal by the loser, leading to the program starting off as a giant Charlie Foxtrot? Seems really early for a decision to be made already.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 11:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Drunkenparrot

Have to go with this. It's my understanding that some folks on the military side of Boeing St. Loui are about to go to the Seattle area, and a few other West Coast locations. Leaving soon and gone for an extended period. Could be for a different program, but my gut tells me it's LRS-B related.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: justwanttofly

Yeah, that's why it was delayed until September. They were saying like April to begin with, then June/July, finally September.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 12:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Barnalby
a reply to: Zaphod58

What about the USAF's open disdain for the F-35? The biggest complaints about it have come from the USAF,

I have to be honest the USAF maybe after the USMC seem more like cheerleaders to me. The outright lying about the A-10 to kill it off to free up funds, the spinning the dogfight with the F-16 etc. The USAF want it so bad they are willing to kill off just about every airframe in the inventory to get it.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 12:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: justwanttofly

Yeah, that's why it was delayed until September. They were saying like April to begin with, then June/July, finally September.

So now lets say this is true. Boeing will have to buy NG which dovetails into the "merger mania" that the Pentagon is promoting. I doubt highly that they want to leave Lockmart with the exclusive monopoly on combat airframes. Plus from the Boeing perspective, they would not really have a future in combat aircraft, only support airframes UNLESS they pick up NG.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 12:37 AM
link   
a reply to: FredT

The Air Force wants an all stealth fleet. It's that simple.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Boeing will have a big hand in the bomber, as well as a good shot at the T-X/Red Air program. Add to that additional Growlers and Super Hornets and the upcoming 6th Gen, which dovetails perfectly with the planned end of the Hornet line and Boeing has a good looking future in combat aircraft.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 12:44 AM
link   

True The Pentagon has spread out work share before as witnessed with the F-22/YF-23 decision. From a business standpoint it makes sense to buy them outright to keep a hand in the game. Plus all the lucrative side work that will go with the program.

Edit to add: Even if they don't win, NG days as a standalone may be numbered anyway

edit on 8/25/15 by FredT because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 12:46 AM
link   
This months USAF mag called this spot on. You do realize there are far greater implications based of this grant?
edit on 25-8-2015 by trifecta because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 12:49 AM
link   

There are a lot of rumors that NG may split their Aerospace division off and if they don't get the 6th Gen they may sell it off. There are a few programs to keep an eye on that'll give an idea of their future.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 01:06 AM
link   

When did they lie about the A-10 or spin the dogfight with the F-16?

I am genuinely not sure about the A-10, but those spinning the "dogfight" with the F-16 were mainly already anti-JSF and/or media-whores.

a reply to: Barnalby

What about the USAF's open disdain for the F-35? The biggest complaints about it have come from the USAF

USAF seems to love the F-35 and is sticking with it. I don't see any "open disdain".

Given all that, I'm sure there's no love lost for Lockheed among some of their top brass, at least behind closed doors, and I'm sure that there are people who remember the relatively-painless ATB procurement with Northrop at the helm, especially in the face of TWO disastrous Lockheed procurements.

Can you please explain how the F-22 was a disaster compared to ATB?

Was the hook redesign really that costly?
edit on 25/8/15 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 03:08 AM
link   
In my opinion Northrop is still in the competition for the LRS-B, the head of the Northrop Facebook page is the LRS-B Under wrap, video for the super-bowl , may be the move of the engineer in the 6th gen project can be a sign that the big work on the LRS-B is ending with a prototype working well , may be th promise of the Northrop LRS-B concept is more Advanced than the Boeing Lockheed one and more viable for decade to come who know.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 03:54 AM
link   
a reply to: C0bzz

Couple million. Not a huge cost but they had to make some minor changes to the fuselage along with the hook.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   
So, are either of the "flyovers," (Texas & Kansas,) related to any of this LRSB business? Or, are they completely separate? Or? And, if LM & Boeing are the winners, will this be a flying dart instead of a B2.1?

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: SonofaSkunk

I thought that one of those birds was the new stealth transport.

Another was a cranked kite?

i don't remember.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join