It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "Stingray" Surveillance Device

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
a reply to: Vasa Croe

They also go by other names..."Kingfisher" is what they have in my city.

Part of the problem is that it scoops up the info of everyone in the area who's phone is trying to connect to a tower. Innocent people that aren't under investigation are having their location and information scooped up by these devices.

My state has a strong right-to-privacy clause written right into our constitution. Right there, article 22 of my state's constitution says:

The right of the people to privacy is recognized and shall not be infringed. The legislature shall implement this section.

If someone isn't the suspect of a criminal investigation, having their personal information scooped up by one of these devices is a breach of that clause.

Here is a site that sums up all of the devices used and when they are first recorded as being used from FOIA records....great site for this info by the way.

Source

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   

I wondering how long it'll be until someone abuses one of these devices to stalk on their ex or something. Some of these devices can intercept phone calls and record them.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   

I wondering how long it'll be until someone abuses one of these devices to stalk on their ex or something. Some of these devices can intercept phone calls and record them.

Some can intercept 60K phones at a time......

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Oh...and just a little bit on how much the Harris Corp makes solely on our Fed.....from 2008-2015, transactions from Fed to Harris were $13,756,731,650.00.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I wonder if it can get text messages being sent from one phone to another in real time, as opposed to just the audio phone calls themselves (within the active radius or whatever).

Does anyone know?
edit on 8/25/2015 by r0xor because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: r0xor
I wonder if it can get text messages being sent from one phone to another in real time, as opposed to just the audio phone calls themselves (within the active radius or whatever).

Does anyone know?

Yes, it can.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

Defense against this pish comes in the form of IMSI detector apps like 'Snoopsnitch' and AIMSICD (Android IMSI Catcher Detector)

secupwn.github.io...

github.com...

Of course the bastards are doing flips and twists to make it as difficult as possible to install these apps on your devices or even finding out about them in the first place.

One thing that is helpful for those that cant do this is to use an app like life360 or another GPS based tracker and look at your own location on the real time map. If your phone is being spoofed the Stingray is where the app says your phone is. The satellites are triangulating the signal from the stinger instead of your phone. Dead giveaway.

Happy Hunting.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   

They can also be placed inside of police squad cars. The devices aren't very large these days.

They've been in use for a while. I knew about them before Ed Snowden in 2013. Military has been using them overseas and in 2013 what they were using were a little bigger than an iPad. Not sure what the civilian/police version looks like.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   

I came across this thread while researching IMSI-catchers. I'm not understanding how these are even available for the public. Something doesn't smell right with this..

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Does this technology slow device speed and lessen connectivity

How can you tell if it is being utilized in a town near you?

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: iWontGiveUP
Does this technology slow device speed and lessen connectivity

How can you tell if it is being utilized in a town near you?

Look up flight radar paths above your area and if you find a small Cessna type plane doing circles for a bit, check the registration....they are typically the ones with the devices.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 04:19 PM
link   

What can explain and sudden drop in "cellular" bars from 5 to 2

And from LTE speeds to seems like dial up

Just on the celly???

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: iWontGiveUP

What can explain and sudden drop in "cellular" bars from 5 to 2

And from LTE speeds to seems like dial up

Just on the celly???

No idea...could be anything really. Network issues, bad service area, concrete, tall buildings, etc....

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cynic

Is privacy over?
Yes.
Ever heard of Winblows 10 from Micro-shaft?

Both privacy and democracy are illusions.

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
Oh...and just a little bit on how much the Harris Corp makes solely on our Fed.....from 2008-2015, transactions from Fed to Harris were $13,756,731,650.00.

!!!??? Is that a typo? That averages out to almost 2 billion per year! Who are the officers of this company? Who sits on the Board? And most importantly, what scumbag politicians have their hands in this kitty?

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   

The technology to do this has actually been around for quite a while. It has only recently made it's way to the public sector.

There's actually *far* better surveillance tech in use today, but again not in the public sector and still classified. Most of it is categorized TS/SCI which tells me it will be a while yet (if ever) before this stuff makes it into the public domain.

If it makes folks feel any better, it is not in use terrestrially. Think Sats...not cops or feds.

As to current uses - I will leave that up to everyone's informed and/or fertile imaginations...

posted on Aug, 19 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Privacy is an illusion it seems....

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join