It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alzheimer's Poem

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Do not ask me to remember Do not try to make me understand. Let me rest and know you're with me. Kiss my cheek and hold my hand. I'm confused beyond your concept. I am sad ,sick and lost. All I know is that I need you to be with me at all cost. Do not lose your patience with me. Do not scold or curse my cry. I can't help the way I'm acting ,Cant be different though I try . Just remember that i need you ,That the best of me is gone. Please don't fail to stand beside me,Love me till my life is gone... ~Unknown.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Kapusta

We all need a reminder, any of us could end up with this horrible, isolating and debilitating condition.

We need to treat those affected people with love. It won't cure it but it will treat the anguish.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Shame the author is unknown, because they deserve some credit.

Peace.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I have watched a much loved person diminish with this disease... and there might be some part of the ordeal that provides poignant metaphysical lessons to those afflicted and to those that care about/for them... but all I can offer is it's utter, utter hell for the loved ones ... and also for the one afflicted... when cognition allows.

Of course, someday our growing knowledge will fix this... and the myriad other horribly slow afflictions of body and mind... but until then, I hope that the 'death with dignity' movement gains support in the U.S. (and elsewhere) and provides possible relief from these slow, cruel diseases.

I know I'd want to go while I could still make the informed choice.

It's near the top on the list of greatest fears... and all too common.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   
That is an outstanding poem. Thanks for posting. I had not seen it before.

Alzheimer's disease has always made me wonder what kind of internal reality its sufferers endure.

I have met many people with this in the course of my profession.

They don't seem to suffer so much physically, and some rare patients seem happy, but it is so very tough on their families.

What is better: to lose your body first, or to lose your mind/memories/personality first?

Me: I would choose the former.

That poem certainly makes one think.

Whatever the Alzheimer's sufferer must endure, the poem highlights, in my opinion, that with hope they may keep some humanity.

The author must have had some personal experience with this affliction, I would guess.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Lost my precious Mother to this monster.

It stole everything from me...

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   

The Drawer of Memory

This video came out in 2007 and shows an old woman's memories being lost. Yeah it's sentimental and what's wrong with that?

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   

How about:

"Do not ask me to remember. Do not try to make me understand. Let me rest and...
Wait what was I doing again?".

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kuroodo

How about:

"Do not ask me to remember. Do not try to make me understand. Let me rest and...
Wait what was I doing again?".

I understand the humor , but I am just not feeling it in this thread
no offense

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

I was touched by that video ... brought tears to my eyes.

new topics

top topics

join