It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chris Christie Ties Heroin Epidemic To Obama

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   

This man is literally on a quest to make me hate him. So apparently Christie wants to bring back the 1980's tough on drugs approach to drug laws, even though it's been all but proven that those laws made things worse. First the ad:

In a newly released campaign ad, Christie rattles off a list of criminal elements that have had free reign during the Obama administration. Near the top of the list, Christie references the spike in opioid drug use.

The ad begins with Christie, a former prosecutor, speaking directly into the camera: "Lawlessness in America and around the world under Barack Obama." Christie declares "drugs running rampant and destroying lives" as images of a hoodie-wearing addict shooting up and a close-up of what appears to be an addict overdosing appear on screen.

Never mind the fact that jailing addicts isn't going to help them nor is it going to make them stop doing the drug. Oh yea and addiction is a disease. So jailing addicts is the equivalent of jailing someone who gets AIDS.

The heroin epidemic actually began nearly two decades before Obama took office. It started with the spread of OxyContin and Percocet addictions. "Pill mills" helped spur these painkiller addictions in Florida, Kentucky and West Virginia. But during the Obama administration, a crackdown on the mills helped spur a resurgence in heroin use.

In a Huffington Post investigation published in January, federal and state officials admitted that they knew such a crackdown would lead to a heroin problem.

It's funny how wrong Christie is about this. The heroin epidemic is not a result of relaxed laws, but of tightening them up. Of course the same thing would happen if he were elected and he was allowed to have his way with drug laws.

Oh yea, there is this too:

But Christie critics also point out New Jersey's rise in overdose deaths -- nearly triple the overall U.S. rate. Although Christie has successfully negotiated for discounts on naloxone, the medication that can reverse the effects of an opioid overdose, drug treatment options in his state have not been able to meet the overwhelming demand.

But Christie is doubling down on the idiocy:

Christie elaborated on the ad Monday on MSNBC's "Morning Joe."

"This president has set a standard in Washington of lawlessness," he said. "What I mean by that is this: If you don't like the law, don't enforce it. So if you don't like the immigration laws, don't enforce those and let there be sanctuary cities throughout the country and do nothing about it. If you don't like the marijuana laws, don't enforce the marijuana laws in certain states if they don't feel like enforcing them."

So I guess under President Christie, we'll get a whole NEW slew of anti-drug ads for stoners to laugh at and not listen to.

I'm SOOOO excited...
edit on 24-8-2015 by Krazysh0t because: added the campaign ad to the OP.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   
geez...I'm shocked, another stupid republican statement....yawn.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

here's the add for anyone interested, I'd embed it but I'm on my cell phone.
Don't have much to add. I don't like Obama at all, but I sure hate Christie too. The last thing we need is another president that cares more about punishment than reform. He'd rather lock everyone up than actually try to fix the problem.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx

As apposed to a Democrat saying " What difference does it make" as a response to mothers about Benghazi?

Once a Dem, Rep to thinking outside the box. Christie is "UN" electable ... as well as everyone else running.
Sadly Clinton and Trump are our soon to be ( possibly ) the only choices. The button that says Other or Vote of No Confidence means noththing when voting.

edit on 24-8-2015 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-8-2015 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: MDpvc

Cool thanks. I'll embed it now in the OP.
edit on 24-8-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Christie has been a loobyist for private prisons and is pushing for the continuation of the war on drugs, gee I wonder why?

The New York Times has published several terrifying reports about New Jersey’s system of halfway houses — privately run adjuncts to the regular system of prisons. The series is a model of investigative reporting, which everyone should read. But it should also be seen in context. The horrors described are part of a broader pattern in which essential functions of government are being both privatized and degraded.

First of all, about those halfway houses: In 2010, Chris Christie, the state’s governor — who has close personal ties to Community Education Centers, the largest operator of these facilities, and who once worked as a lobbyist for the firm — described the company’s operations as “representing the very best of the human spirit.” But The Times’s reports instead portray something closer to hell on earth — an understaffed, poorly run system, with a demoralized work force, from which the most dangerous individuals often escape to wreak havoc, while relatively mild offenders face terror and abuse at the hands of other inmates.

source

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   
No way Christie gets elected. He is the same as Jeb Bush only without the pedigree and financial backing.

They are both progressives masquerading as conservatives.

ETA: Loved the Rachael Leigh Cook video. She is sexy when she is angry!

edit on 2015/8/24 by Metallicus because: ETA

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Chris Christie on the issues

He looks like a right of center moderate to me. Oh look, scrolling to the bottom of the page says the same thing.

You know just because you don't think someone is Conservative enough for you, doesn't automatically make them a progressive... There ARE shades of grey you know?

ETA: Yea, I agree. She is pretty hot in that commercial. I still don't like the commercial though...
edit on 24-8-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   

He also blames his mommy for him being fat!

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Under the Christie Administration the only epidemic will be one with Ice Cream.

edit on 24-8-2015 by ugmold because: re-word

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: ugmold

Lol I hope the White House has updated their bathtubs.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Those commercials bring back bad memories. If anything the stupid "education campaign" and "drug awareness" campaigns did do one thing, they made kids aware of drugs.

I can't count the number of kids that thought it was cool to do drugs while wearing anti-drug tshirts given out to kids at school, or took the pamphlets home, which basically were a roadmap to finding narcotics in your household, or even OTC drugs that might get a kid high.

Suddenly there was all this "bad" stuff in your house, you could rummage your bathroom cupboards and bring family scripts and OTC drugs to school to be instantly cool.

Bad is cool. Stop making things bad.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: boncho

Yea nothing more ineffective then telling a bunch of insecure kids that "everybody else is doing drugs" or "all the cool kids are doing them" then proceed to show the squarest looking kids having fun without drugs to try to get them not to do drugs.

Reminds me of that South Park episode where they got some lame group to sing about not smoking cigarettes and the kids started smoking so they didn't end up growing up to be those guys.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I must admit after reading the title of this thread I anticipated Christie was attacking BHO's actions as to opium production in Afghanistan, and the effects of its exports on Americans.
www.csdp.org...

In 2012, my home State of Washington enacted new laws to narrow the scope in which meds like Oxycontin and the like could be prescribed, leaving a small percentage of physicians able to administer. This was done in an effort to stem opioid abuse, but in essence threw the baby out with the bathwater. The unintended consequences that followed: over 25 documented suicides by former pain patients that were cut off, a spike in first-time heroin use(continued use by this group is directly tied to increases in burglary and stolen goods to fund habits), and a major rise in heroin ODs.
adai.uw.edu...
www.seattletimes.com...

The war on drugs approach has been tried and failed miserably, and any candidate espousing this approach is living in la-la land.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh

originally posted by: jimmyx

As apposed to a Democrat saying " What difference does it make" as a response to mothers about Benghazi?

Once a Dem, Rep to thinking outside the box. Christie is "UN" electable ... as well as everyone else running.
Sadly Clinton and Trump are our soon to be ( possibly ) the only choices. The button that says Other or Vote of No Confidence means noththing when voting.

That wasn't about mothers and Benghazi. The security operatives knew what they were in for. I knew one of them. We have lost far more soldiers, government employees, etc., at other embassies around the world before Benghazi. Republicans seems to think it started in that one place.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   

If you don't like the marijuana laws, don't enforce the marijuana laws in certain states if they don't feel like enforcing them."

Funny how this is coming from the contingent that gets all hot and bothered about states rights. I love it. Hypocrisy at its finest.

By the way, Chris Christie should be the last person to talk about lawlessness with the storm clouds hanging over his own head.

Whatever Christie says or does -- and whatever potential donors or Jimmy Fallon and his viewers think -- the question that truly matters is whether Fishman's pursuit leads to the governor himself. Christie's Port appointees -- not only Samson, but former PA Deputy Executive Director Bill Baroni and his oddball sidekick David Wildstein -- all face near-certain indictment and are being pressed to hand up Christie, as is the governor's former chief counsel, Charlie McKenna.

It continues.....

Federal charges in the bridge closures potentially include both intentional interference in interstate commerce and -- in the cover-up that ensued -- obstruction of justice. The use of Port Authority money, raised by issuing bonds, to pay for non-PA projects will likely result in charges of securities fraud and conspiracy to commit same; the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission is also investigating on this front, along with the Manhattan District Attorney, who's seeking evidence to support state charges of falsifying business records and official misconduct. Charges derived from David Samson's numerous conflicts of interest while serving as a PA official could, in Hoboken's case, include federal charges of extortion under the Hobbs Act, and New York state charges of official misconduct and corruption.

Esquire

A theme of lawlessness maybe?

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Can we then say the same about the war on poverty?

Or is that too cruel to cut?

And drug addiction is a strange disease. It's the only one I know you have to volunteer yourself to get.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

This man is literally on a quest to make me hate him. So apparently Christie wants to bring back the 1980's tough on drugs approach to drug laws, even though it's been all but proven that those laws made things worse. First the ad:

In a newly released campaign ad, Christie rattles off a list of criminal elements that have had free reign during the Obama administration. Near the top of the list, Christie references the spike in opioid drug use.

The ad begins with Christie, a former prosecutor, speaking directly into the camera: "Lawlessness in America and around the world under Barack Obama." Christie declares "drugs running rampant and destroying lives" as images of a hoodie-wearing addict shooting up and a close-up of what appears to be an addict overdosing appear on screen.

Never mind the fact that jailing addicts isn't going to help them nor is it going to make them stop doing the drug. Oh yea and addiction is a disease. So jailing addicts is the equivalent of jailing someone who gets AIDS.

The heroin epidemic actually began nearly two decades before Obama took office. It started with the spread of OxyContin and Percocet addictions. "Pill mills" helped spur these painkiller addictions in Florida, Kentucky and West Virginia. But during the Obama administration, a crackdown on the mills helped spur a resurgence in heroin use.

In a Huffington Post investigation published in January, federal and state officials admitted that they knew such a crackdown would lead to a heroin problem.

It's funny how wrong Christie is about this. The heroin epidemic is not a result of relaxed laws, but of tightening them up. Of course the same thing would happen if he were elected and he was allowed to have his way with drug laws.

Oh yea, there is this too:

But Christie critics also point out New Jersey's rise in overdose deaths -- nearly triple the overall U.S. rate. Although Christie has successfully negotiated for discounts on naloxone, the medication that can reverse the effects of an opioid overdose, drug treatment options in his state have not been able to meet the overwhelming demand.

But Christie is doubling down on the idiocy:

Christie elaborated on the ad Monday on MSNBC's "Morning Joe."

"This president has set a standard in Washington of lawlessness," he said. "What I mean by that is this: If you don't like the law, don't enforce it. So if you don't like the immigration laws, don't enforce those and let there be sanctuary cities throughout the country and do nothing about it. If you don't like the marijuana laws, don't enforce the marijuana laws in certain states if they don't feel like enforcing them."

So I guess under President Christie, we'll get a whole NEW slew of anti-drug ads for stoners to laugh at and not listen to.

I, very personally, have recently learned what the crack down on pills did. I don't even think the ad with the girl smashing dishes was a big help, though I was moved by it. A crack down on pills led to needles and led to death. A LOT of death. Death for people in every economic background, in every city and town. It is in your town or even tiny, affluent village, even if you don't see it. Chris Christie might see it when someone in his family dies, the nephew or sister who 'had a little pill problem' before. This war is killing the patient.

You are spot on.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Can we then say the same about the war on poverty?

Or is that too cruel to cut?

And drug addiction is a strange disease. It's the only one I know you have to volunteer yourself to get.

No one 'volunteers themselves' for drug addiction. That is just an awful thing to say. You may think it sounds smart or sharp, but it is very far from the truth.
edit on 24-8-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Everything would be solved if everyone had a gun, all kids pray to God in school and we deport those damned illegals. No the leftist elite wants this to be drug ridden country! Of course this is Obama's fault this is all designed to destroy Christian America turn us into a Muslim wasteland.

voting Chris Christie/Trump who's with me??

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join