It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aren't there supposed to be More, larger and more dangerous storms this year?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I recently read that according to Climate Change advocates that there would be an increase in severe storms, Hurricanes and other weather related phenomena. However, we saw less Tornadoes, less storms and now they are predicting less Hurricanes on the East coast.

www.reuters.com...

(Adds quote from forecaster Gerry Bell, details on last major hurricane and Superstorm Sandy) By David Adams May 27 The Atlantic hurricane season will be less active than usual this year due to cooler seas and a strong El Niño effect, the U.S. government weather forecaster said on Wednesday. The official "below-normal" forecast calls for six to 11 tropical storms this year, with three to six reaching hurricane status of 74-mile-per-hour (120 kph) winds, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said at a press conference in New Orleans. There may be as many as two major hurricanes with winds reaching at least 111 miles per hour.

El Nino consist of warmer waters and would in affect be breading ground for Hurricanes seeing they thrive on warm water, yet the prediction is down.

There is a below normal amount predicted for this year hurricane season.

Al Gore and the CC pundits have been telling us that severe weather patterns would emerge if nothing done by 2015 to reduce carbon dioxide emissions. Yet despite the reduction that has been implemented, which is very minimal, the patterns are lessoning.

Are the CC pundits correct?

Did we lower our emissions enough to reduce the severe storm predictions?

Or is CC science incorrect and as usual the just don't know?

edit on 24-8-2015 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

Well,
CO2 levels are not going down.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
So perhaps AGW makes less active storms?

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   

All that rhetoric was used to prop up the sustainable energy industry the last decade. That's all it is, marketing and fear mongering to sell products.
edit on 24-8-2015 by avgguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   
In other news, August is expected to break a world wide heat record held by the previous record holder of this past July which broke the record held by this past June. But nah the world isn't heating up... Nothing to see here folks.

You see, the OP can point out when a prediction doesn't happen and that therefore overturns all OTHER scientific evidence pointing to CC. That's how it works you see. Those silly scientists and all their evidence don't mean squat. All it takes is one failed prediction and then the theory is done. Don't they know that ChesterJohn debunked them by showing no increase of extreme weather?
edit on 24-8-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
In other news, August is expected to break a world wide heat record held by the previous record holder of this past July which broke the record held by this past June. But nah the world isn't heating up... Nothing to see here folks.

You see, the OP can point out when a prediction doesn't happen and that therefore overturns all OTHER scientific evidence pointing to CC. That's how it works you see. Those silly scientists and all their evidence don't mean squat. All it takes is one failed prediction and then the theory is done. Don't they know that ChesterJohn debunked them by showing no increase of extreme weather?

I must have missed it completely, where in the OP did anyone say it wasn't getting warmer?

ETA:
how long will it continue to warm? will storms continue to be less of a threat? Will the ice caps completely melt? Will the seas rise a few inches, or a few feet? How long will all that take?

There seem to be a lot of unanswered questions for something that we were told the science was settled on.
I think for now, it's perfectly acceptable to ask a few more questions about this subject, don't you?
edit on 24-8-2015 by network dude because: added a few questions.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Well Papua New Guinea has being having major frosts and drought that's wiping out there crops, creating a humanitarian crisis. This is in the full on tropics too, basically right on the equator line.

Frost and drought wipes out subsistence crops in Papua New Guinea

El Nino-driven drought and frosts in the normally tropical highlands in Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands has brought Tasmania-like weather to the region, a regional administrator said.

Enga province administrator Samson Amean called a meeting with a PNG provincial disaster and emergency committee on Monday after hundreds of villages were found to face months without food from local gardens after being destroyed by frosts.

"The temperature in Wabag in Enga province is about 17 degrees Celsius, but the wind is similar to that I've felt in Hobart," Dr Amean told Pacific Beat.

This summer Tasmania will probably have 48 degree heatwaves and wipe out all those poppy farms, lol.

The climate does seem to becoming more and more erratic, if you consider the whole earth, rather than just focusing on your own neck of the woods.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

Well Papua New Guinea has being having major frosts and drought that's wiping out there crops, creating a humanitarian crisis. This is in the full on tropics too, basically right on the equator line.

Frost and drought wipes out subsistence crops in Papua New Guinea

El Nino-driven drought and frosts in the normally tropical highlands in Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands has brought Tasmania-like weather to the region, a regional administrator said.

Enga province administrator Samson Amean called a meeting with a PNG provincial disaster and emergency committee on Monday after hundreds of villages were found to face months without food from local gardens after being destroyed by frosts.

"The temperature in Wabag in Enga province is about 17 degrees Celsius, but the wind is similar to that I've felt in Hobart," Dr Amean told Pacific Beat.

This summer Tasmania will probably have 48 degree heatwaves and wipe out all those poppy farms, lol.

The climate does seem to becoming more and more erratic, if you consider the whole earth, rather than just focusing on your own neck of the woods.

We also had an ice age in a time where industrialization was non existent. Maybe the world is more complex than we know (we know more about space than our own oceans after all), and stuff just happens.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   
El Nino causes more wind shear in the Atlantic tropical basin which inhibits development of hurricanes in the Atlantic. The Pacific however has had a busy season.

NOAA discusses this when they release their forecast, but go ahead and jump to conclusions based on scanty information.
edit on 24-8-2015 by jrod because: as

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Yet satellites tell us that there has been no warming for that last 16 years?
Another thing, hottest year ever, do those people deduct the coldest winter ever from the hottest summer? is there an average?
What about the snow in June, still not melted in Buffalo NY, and in the Scottish lowlands? I thought snow melted when it was warm,let alone hot?
Am I reading the wrong weather news blogs?

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
I must have missed it completely, where in the OP did anyone say it wasn't getting warmer?

ETA:
how long will it continue to warm? will storms continue to be less of a threat? Will the ice caps completely melt? Will the seas rise a few inches, or a few feet? How long will all that take?

There are models and predictions for all of this. Though it remains to be seen if the models will hold true. There may be some other variables we aren't accounting for.

There seem to be a lot of unanswered questions for something that we were told the science was settled on.
I think for now, it's perfectly acceptable to ask a few more questions about this subject, don't you?

Did I use the word "settled" when talking about this science? Hmmm... Nope, so I'd call this a strawman. Heck I don't use the word "settled" for ANY scientific theory since all of them get added to all the time.
edit on 24-8-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454

We also had an ice age in a time where industrialization was non existent.

So you don't question what scientist's claim was happening 20 thousand years ago, but you think they don't know what there talking about when the make claims about whats happening presently?

Sound's like a contradiction to me.

Besides, the fact that the climate changes dramatically over thousands of years, just proves how fragile it is and how easily we could screw with the natural process, though industrialized pollution.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa
High elevation is not considered the tropics, despite the latitude. It snows in the mountains of Ecuador too.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: pikestaff
Yet satellites tell us that there has been no warming for that last 16 years?
Another thing, hottest year ever, do those people deduct the coldest winter ever from the hottest summer? is there an average?
What about the snow in June, still not melted in Buffalo NY, and in the Scottish lowlands? I thought snow melted when it was warm,let alone hot?
Am I reading the wrong weather news blogs?

I'd say that yes, you are reading the wrong blogs. In fact, why are you getting your science off of blogs to begin with?

June, first half of 2015 break old records by far as Earth keeps heating up

Last year:
Global Temperatures Are the Hottest on Record for a Fifth Month This Year

September 2014 Breaks Global Heat Record; 2014 On Track to Become Hottest Year Yet

So your claim about the world not heating up over the last 16 years is completely fake. As for you points about snow in NY, that is just as lame of an excuse as when the Congressman brought a snowball into Congress. The world doesn't have universal temperatures across it. Just because it is summer in the Northern Hemisphere, doesn't mean that there isn't snow somewhere on it.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
El Nino causes more wind shear in the Atlantic tropics basin which inhibits development of hurricanes in the Atlantic. The Pacific however has had a busy season.

NOAA discusses this when they release their forecast, but go ahead and jump to conclusions based on scanty information.

Not just numerous but also very strong storms, there have been 4 Cat 5's in the eastern Pacific:
Western Pacific Typhoons

4 Cat 4's in the eastern Pacific:
Eastern Pacific Hurricanes

Very busy in the Pacific and many of these storms are helping create the El Nino feedback necessary for a strong El Nino.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Today I learned that the whole world is the East Coast of the US.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   

As long as they bring Rain to Calif - I'm good with storms

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
High elevation is not considered the tropics, despite the latitude. It snows in the mountains of Ecuador too.

Maybe so, but the particular region in the article is defined as a tropical climate.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   
So is Hawaii, yet their mountains do not experience what most would call a tropical climate. I even know if it snowing in Puerto Rico.....

edit on 24-8-2015 by jrod because: a

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: pikestaff

Not to mention all the ice still on the Hudson and St. James Bays that is inhibiting water traffic ...

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
There are models and predictions for all of this. Though it remains to be seen if the models will hold true. There may be some other variables we aren't accounting for.

That's the thing--there are variables that aren't being accounted for, and this is proven time and time again when said models and predictions are proven to be way too extreme or even downright incorrect. I would bet my hard-earned money that the models and predictions that you mention will end up being inaccurate.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join