It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police captain outed in Ashley Madison hack takes own life

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   
The sad fallout from the now infamous hack is starting to land , the BBC is reporting two suicides linked to the hack but reports so far concentrate on the death of the San Antonio police captain , although they say it's unclear if the two incidents are directly linked I think it likely they are.

The 25-year veteran of the City of San Antonio police department was one of three officials who saw their email addresses leaked as part of the huge information dump, though it remains unclear whether the man's suicide was directly linked to the Ashley Madison leak.

IBTimes UK has confirmed that the officer's email address was listed among the millions. However, as Ashley Madison doesn't require users to verify email addresses, it is impossible to say who used the address for certain. The suicide was first reported by the San Antonio Express News which doesn't identify the person in question and said it "wasn't clear whether his death had anything to do with the leak".
www.ibtimes.co.uk...

I think it's a sad but not unexpected development in a quite disturbing story , these people think they have the right to make moral judgments on people and how they live their lives , to put them in a position where they feel the only option left to them is to end their life , well I hope this brings home to them what they have done and the real world effect their actions have had.

+33 more 
posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   
As someone who has been cheated on.....my heart bleeds.....

edit on 24-8-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I wonder if legally a death related to the info dump can move to the hackers being criminally prosecuted.
In some cases hacking is a felony and a death caused by it would lead to prosecution.

I'm not exactly sure what statute this would fall under but I'm sure any good lawyers do.

+18 more 
posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Would your heart bleed for your ex with your silly little violin if after confronting your he or she killed themselves?

+7 more 
posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Still a necessary hack.

This will be used to demonise the hack and point fingers in the opposite direction of the immoral cheaters destroying their families.

When someone who was cheated on kills themselves I'll empathise fully...

While it's the cheaters, I'm left thinking "sad, but oh well".
edit on 24-8-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: Missed a full stop.

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: kamatty

Would your heart bleed for your ex with your silly little violin if after confronting your he or she killed themselves?

She could get hit my a train tomorow and i honesty would not give a #....she was dead to me a long time ago. I cut her off emotionally.

She was a sociopath anyway and certainly would not care at being confronted.
edit on 24-8-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I agree with you on the 'responsibility' issue...with regard to the hackers & distributors of the information hacked.
Regarding the Policeman - it is sad, but - he chose to end his life. (apparently)

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I think their actions was all about extortion and not in the least moralistic. It is sad that the suicide of the Police Captain could be the result of the leaks, but that could just be the first of many repercussions of their actions.

In some countries where homosexuality is unlawful, many Gay people used the Ashley Madison site in order to attract other like minded people. The consequences of doing this could lead to them becoming a convicted criminal, or worse.

edit on 24/8/15 by Cobaltic1978 because: Typo

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Still a necessary hack.

How so necessary ?

While it's the cheaters, I'm left thinking "sad, but oh well"

But you don't know their story , why they felt the need to do what they did.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I cant see that it was the main cause. It was probably the final straw for him. He likely had many bad things going on in his life.

+9 more 
posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I'm surprised that anybody who offed themselves cause of this, lasted as long to begin with.

Sorry, I don't have much sympathy for people who take the suicide route instead of just dealing with their problems.

~Tenth
edit on 8/24/2015 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

What was the terms of their "extortion" again, please?

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower
I'm surprised that anybody who offed themselves cause of this, lasted as long to begin with.

Sorry, I don't have much sympathy for people who take the suicide route instead of just dealing with their problems.

//Resolved

I agree. No sympathy.

When he took his life, it's a good as a confession...

Regards,

link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: kamatty

She could get hit my a train tomorow and i honesty would not give a #....she was dead to me a long time ago. I cut her off emotionally.

She was a sociopath anyway and certainly would not care at being confronted.

I am with you on that one.
I had the same type of partner.
Just curious, did she like to wear things that made her stand out in a crowd?

link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Still a necessary hack.

How so necessary ?

While it's the cheaters, I'm left thinking "sad, but oh well"

But you don't know their story , why they felt the need to do what they did.

No I don't, but based on the OP theory that it's due to the hack I'd have to say they lived with their transgressions up until they were exposed...

So Ockham's Razor says getting caught was what they felt bad about.

But that's just an educated guess.
edit on 24-8-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-8-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: Arghhhhhh #ing autocorrect!

edit on 24-8-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: Grammar #ing grammar arghhh!

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   
so they committed suicide because their emails were on the list OR not. this article is really ambiguous and tries to make the connections when it may or may not be related.

the hackers did nothing more than expose ill moral values in society. you know who wouldnt commit suicide, people who just play the field and dont into committed relationships. or people who dont cheat at all.

they need to expose PEDOs next.
then crooked politicians ( kidding. they would need massive storage devices for this kind of info )

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Wow, so he got caught cheating, then killed himself. That's one hell of a pity party.

After what happened to me in my marriage, I have no sympathy for cheaters whatsoever.
edit on 24-8-2015 by amicktd because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   

If you play, you pay.

He chose to take his life willingly, no one took it.

What about the damage to his family after the data dump and his suicide in response to it? He played and chose to pay his way.

Sad for the family who has to deal with his selfish actions.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

This one is less ambiguous.

Two members of the cheating website Ashley Madison have taken their own lives after hackers published their details, police said today.

Officers in Canada confirmed they have been informed the men killed themselves following the security breach which saw the the details of 37 million members published online.

The names of the two victims have not been released but the news comes as a Texas police captain whose email address appears on the client list is thought to have taken his own life.

Captain Michael Gorhum, who had served for 25 years with the San Antonio Police Department, killed himself last week, it was confirmed today.
www.mirror.co.uk...

edit on 24-8-2015 by gortex because: (no reason given)

+17 more 
posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   
What are we, a bunch of immature children unable to control our emotions? So your SO cheated on you, and it hurt like hell. Guess what? It's been happening since humans came into existence. We are not a monogamous species. Yes, we can choose to be that way, but MANY will sooner or later give into that nature. And it isn't gender specific. This 37 million subscriber revelation should be a clue!

Yes, I know what its like to be cheated on. I don't wish those ladies any ill will. We have both moved on, and I've licked my wounds. I got over it. Grow up folks! I can't believe what I'm reading in these threads. Suddenly, we don't give a DAMN about human life, and have no remorse for our bitterness, and the death and devastation that will likely come from this. I'm sorry, its disgusting. Actually. I'm not sorry.

Flame away!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join