It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would a new Guns N' Roses album sound like?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 07:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: pfishy
a reply to: aeonminder

Exactly. Slash hasn't stood still. And he and Axl WERE G&R. Axl hasn't been too terribly active. Sorry to say, but it would be a step backwards for Slash. Not to say he isn't in a point in his career where he could afford to take that step as a passion project, to help an old friend out, but G&R is not Slash's only claim to fame, unlike that ungrateful jerk he'd be helping.

I think that's a bit of an overstatement to say that Axl and Slash WERE G N' R. Just look at the difference between the rawness and songwriting on Appetite which was meant to be an album where all the songs could be played live, honed in the clubs in front of audiences and compare it to the Use Your Illusion albums which were pure studio creations built on a foundation of ego with a decided lack of audience feedback. The main difference between those albums? Izzy Stradlin. Izzy was the secret ingredient that made Guns what it was. Slash was the picturesque face with the Les Paul and top hat and the solos sure, but Izzy by and large was a key element of the gritty blues driven riffs that propelled Appetite to where it was. It's great that Slash and Axl have mended fences and I would likely go see them if they toured or wrote a new album, but for all the bluster and bravado those 2 brought to the stage, without Izzy, it will still end up a little too polished and will lack the grittiness and street feel of the original batch of songs. Just my 2 cents on that.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: peter vlar

Ok, I suppose you have a valid point about Izzy, but the rest was completely lost on me the moment you used 'Slash' and 'picturesque face' in the same sentence intentionally.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: pfishy

Ill concede your point as well. One can't exactly have a picturesque face when it's hidden beneath a mop of hair, a pair of sunglasses and a top hat. It was a bit overly melodramatic but my point wasn't too far off in that he and Axl are typically the "faces" associated with G n R or more accurately, the iconic imagery people conjure up when they think of the band. Picturesque may have been a smidge over the top.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: peter vlar

Age has been remarkably rather kind to him. Much like Steve Buscemi, but the hat, sunglasses and hair in the face were needed to disguise exactly how far off the term picturesque really was. Yowza.
But yes, they were the iconic faces of the band for sure. And I was certainly incorrect in discounting Izzy, and probably Duff to some extent as well.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join