It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tennessee School District Bans All Flags, Including American Flag

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   
The school's legal counsel should be kicked in the butt.

If they attempt to stop students from having/flying flags, it's a slam-dunk violation of Tinker v Des Moines. I find it difficult to comprehend why their lawyer would allow them to even try this.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

We really should prohibit people from making statements.

Or at the very least, get approval from someone first before they express themselves.

People should be able to make statements? As well as express themselves?

Are you contending that people should be able to make up BS and hoaxes without the threat of accuracy or honesty???

The OP and source were BS..

Information reported by news stations that the American Flag has been banned in the Dickson County school system is entirely inaccurate.

The Flag is prominently displayed at every school in our county. It is also displayed in many of our classrooms.

All students in Dickson County are allowed to voluntarily participate in the recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance each morning. We are very proud to have JROTC in both of our high schools, and we will continue to fly and respect the flag.

www.dicksoncountyschools.org...

Not only that ...it is Baiting at a national level...Fictionalizing a story in order to provoke outrage..

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

If they attempt to stop students from having/flying flags, it's a slam-dunk violation of Tinker v Des Moines. I find it difficult to comprehend why their lawyer would allow them to even try this.

Read above.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

So they can bring the confederate flag to school?

Apologies, then.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indigo5

Read above.

You're a bit late...I posted it about 10 posts before you.

However, while they are flying the flag at the school level, apparently they're trying to restrict individual students from flying ANY flag on their clothing, vehicles and whatnot, which is a simon pure violation of Tinker.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

I already knew this was the case before opening a tab to research. Thanks for saving me the trouble. Much ohmergerd muh freedums from the same source lately. Hopefully they remember how to fact check sometime soon.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   

a reply to: jude11

Who didn't see this coming?

Next? A ban on all words, because some find some words offensive?

The US is becoming a nation of namby-pamby sissies.

I was about to agree with you, but come to find out this is complete BS,

Imagine that.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: Annee
Students, with parental support, brought the Confederate Flag controversy to school. It became disruptive. So school banned students from bringing any and all flags/banners to school.

Yeah, when kids start USING the flag to make statements other then patriotism, then I can understand the school saying they cannot bring one to school. But the flag still flies there.

It depends IMO.

Did the Confederate flag controversy escalate to being disruptive. I'd say yes to this one.

Schools do have the right to ban something if it gets out of hand and disrupts the whole school.

We've seen the extent this controversy has gone to with adults.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

I already knew this was the case before opening a tab to research. Thanks for saving me the trouble. Much ohmergerd muh freedums from the same source lately. Hopefully they remember how to fact check sometime soon.

Isn't it funny how they are becoming more and more like the parody of themselves?

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   
So a school district that receives funding from the United states government bans the flag of the United states......hmmmm.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   

If they are disrupting or hindering education, their speech is not protected, according to the previously mentioned Tinker v Des Moines case.

By a 7-2 vote, the Court held that school officials cannot censor student speech unless school officials reasonably forecast that the speech will cause a material and substantial disruption of school activities or collide with the rights of others.
Source

And it seems the story has gone through several changes...

They now say they are not banning all flags at school, they are only banning flags from flying on the back of pick-up trucks on school property.
Source

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
So a school district that receives funding from the United states government bans the flag of the United states......hmmmm.

No. The school still flies the American flag.

They banned kids from bringing any and all flags to school because it became disruptive.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   

There are restrictions on Tinker that you're not considering. Read more about it.

From the School's Website

Information reported by news stations that the American Flag has been banned in the Dickson County school system is entirely inaccurate. The Flag is prominently displayed at every school in our county. It is also displayed in many of our classrooms. All students in Dickson County are allowed to voluntarily participate in the recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance each morning. We are very proud to have JROTC in both of our high schools, and we will continue to fly and respect the flag.

edit on 8/24/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Maybe they could incorporate FACTUAL studies of the flags.

Factual history.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: Bluntone22

No. The school still flies the American flag.

They banned kids from bringing any and all flags to school because it became disruptive.

That makes a little more sense.
But to be honest the tight clothes the girls wore when I was in school was a much bigger distraction.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   

FWIW:

Information reported by news stations that the American Flag has been banned in the Dickson County school system is entirely inaccurate. The Flag is prominently displayed at every school in our county. It is also displayed in many of our classrooms. All students in Dickson County are allowed to voluntarily participate in the recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance each morning. We are very proud to have JROTC in both of our high schools, and we will continue to fly and respect the flag.

Linko, linkere, linkivi, linkitum:

Hoax bin this crap (not you bedlam, I'm agreeing with you.
)
edit on 24-8-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   

a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Or at the very least, get approval from someone first before they express themselves.

You do know that every school in the country has a dress code and can legally tell the kids what they can and cannot bring to school right?

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

There are restrictions on Tinker that you're not considering. Read more about it.

I do know about it, and the school's display of the flag does not excuse them from restricting individual students' political displays.

Which, of course, is what Tinker is about.

eta: not long ago, a school district attempted to restrict a student's wearing of an NRA t-shirt. They went so far as to have the campus kop arrest the kid for not turning it inside out. They are now being rectally copulated over it, including the campus kop, by means of Tinker. Students do not lose their right to expression when they step onto a campus.
edit on 24-8-2015 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

a reply to: jude11

Who didn't see this coming?

Next? A ban on all words, because some find some words offensive?

The US is becoming a nation of namby-pamby sissies.

I was about to agree with you, but come to find out this is complete BS,

Imagine that.

it's become a rule of thumb for me here on ATS. The more the story makes me mad if true, the more I want to fact check it.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
I wonder how much this will affect the daily lives of people...

In the grand scheme of things.

Who gives a s# about a flag, read a damn book and educate yourselves.
That's what schooling is for, is it not?

I agree.

But it's also not really about the flag IMO. It's the right to fly it in your own Country.

Jude

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join