It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tennessee School District Bans All Flags, Including American Flag

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   

www.wsbtv.com...
DICKSON COUNTY, Tenn. — A Tennessee school district is banning all flags, including Old Glory. School leaders in Dickson County decided, after a summer of controversy surrounding the Confederate flag, the wise thing to do would be to ban all flags and banners. Some students are angry as they feel their patriotism is being compromised.

"One student said, "I just think that's a right...it's freedom of expression and I don't think you should be able to take that away from us."

Yeah, this is what the youth need to be upset about. The loss of freedom of speech in their little school district? They should have been voicing concerns about the entire Nation losing its freedoms for a long time now. But no, the flag is the last straw?

But this isn't about that is it? This is about the flag being banned on US soil, in a US school with US citizens. This is definitely a slap to freedom of expression/speech and if you want to throw patriotic into the mix go ahead.

The reasoning? Something like this: "If we ban one flag we have to ban them all." Good argument for the PC crowd I guess.

Wow...

Jude

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: jude11

It is stupid and brilliant at the same time. Don't ask how I came up with that.

Raise them all or not at all, there will always be the Helen Lovejoys and the fact is the flags did no wrong. We don't condemn our coffee tables when we bang our knee against them, do we?

edit on 24-8-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   
This is how the panic micromanaging fails.

These educated administrators don't look so smart do they.

Big Fail.

link   
Just a piece of fabric to me, still people should be allowed to fly whatever flag they want, I have several in my house from car shows in England. Shame that a lot of flags are associated with war I guess.

This is going to rustle more jimmies lol.

link   
I wonder how much this will affect the daily lives of people...

In the grand scheme of things.

Who gives a s# about a flag, read a damn book and educate yourselves.
That's what schooling is for, is it not?

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Who didn't see this coming?

Next? A ban on all words, because some find some words offensive?

The US is becoming a nation of namby-pamby sissies.
edit on 24-8-2015 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

The US is becoming a nation of namby-pamby sissies.

Already there.

Freedom of speech is just a nuisance to the country now it seems.

~Tenth

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   
FWIW:

Information reported by news stations that the American Flag has been banned in the Dickson County school system is entirely inaccurate. The Flag is prominently displayed at every school in our county. It is also displayed in many of our classrooms. All students in Dickson County are allowed to voluntarily participate in the recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance each morning. We are very proud to have JROTC in both of our high schools, and we will continue to fly and respect the flag.

Linko, linkere, linkivi, linkitum:

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

That actually ties in with the comment I was about to make:

How many of these students gave a flying whatever about bringing flags on to school grounds before they were banned? I'd be willing to bet the overwhelming majority never gave it a second thought. Now it's banned and suddenly there's an outcry.

Ah well. School board is pandering for politics, and students are whining.

Business as usual.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Great idea, it's a round world and we're all stuck on it, flags are like religion, just divides people.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   
the American flag too???.....geez, take something reasonable....like taking down the confederate flag that is flown only on government grounds, and the state of Tennessee goes WAY, WAY, overboard. I don't know if a political party or individuals ordered this, but the word "stupid" is flashing in big, bright, letters.
edit on 24-8-2015 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zcustosmorum

Great idea, it's a round world and we're all stuck on it, flags are like religion, just divides people.

not the American flag on American soil, that makes no sense.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Your New World Order one government hasn't happened yet and frankly I'd rather it stay that way.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Well, yeah --- I am a Globalist.

But, this is just wrong. And childish on the school districts part.

Public school is a government school. It is the right place to fly the country's flag.

. . . . The rest of the story. I'm sure there is more to this story.

edit on 24-8-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   

I foresee issues;

1. What if a kid has a pencil case, school bag or eraser with an American Flag on it?
2. What are the school sport teams going to fly on sports day - including the jocks footy team?
3. What if the teachers hands out an assignment on the history of flags?
4. What if a kid talks about the flag during lunchtime and a teacher overhears it?
5. What if the majority of the Tennessee School District pupils and parents want the flag(s) to be flown?
6. What is even one single individual student or parent wanted the flag to fly?

Many many first-world issues here - oh to be plagued with such burdens in attempting to maintain political correctness where none need exist.

How sad to see America's social structure crumbling like this - truly worrying really.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

Your New World Order one government hasn't happened yet and frankly I'd rather it stay that way.

Common misconception, I never said anything about the NWO and a unified planet shouldn't automatically mean that either.
edit on -180002015-08-24T10:02:53-05:000000005331201553082015Mon, 24 Aug 2015 10:02:53 -0500 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam
FWIW:

Information reported by news stations that the American Flag has been banned in the Dickson County school system is entirely inaccurate. The Flag is prominently displayed at every school in our county. It is also displayed in many of our classrooms. All students in Dickson County are allowed to voluntarily participate in the recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance each morning. We are very proud to have JROTC in both of our high schools, and we will continue to fly and respect the flag.

Linko, linkere, linkivi, linkitum:

If y'all haven't read Bedlam's post, please do.

Good post, Bedlam.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   
The rest of the story.

The school will continue flying the American flag.

The American flag just outside the entrance to the district’s schools will stay, but students who wish to express themselves more personally won’t be able to. www.theblaze.com... -property/

Students, with parental support, brought the Confederate Flag controversy to school. It became disruptive. So school banned students from bringing any and all flags/banners to school.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
Students, with parental support, brought the Confederate Flag controversy to school. It became disruptive. So school banned students from bringing any and all flags/banners to school.

Yeah, when kids start USING the flag to make statements other than patriotism, then I can understand the school saying they cannot bring one to school. But the flag still flies there.

Everyone READ THIS POST!
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 8/24/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

We really should prohibit people from making statements.

Or at the very least, get approval from someone first before they express themselves.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join