It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DJIA Opened 480pts down DROPS 1000pts first 5 minutes of Trading

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Futures for the DJIA varied over the weekend from 400-700pts under, finalizing around 480pts down at opening bell. Within the first minute stocks tumbled another 70pts, with the next minute update showing 900pts under total. I watched over the next few minutes as it dipped over 1k pts, then bounced back a few hundred points. We have at this moment recovered nearly half the loss, sitting 570pts under.

This is some major volitility within a very short time period. As many know, China's markets went tumbling last month, seemed to stabilize a bit, but took another nose dive in the last week. The markets in the west and worldwide are now reacting to what appears to be the beginning of a global contraction in the markets, where real economies are sure to follow shortly after.

Here is a monthly view for perspective:

And a 5 year view:

edit on 24-8-2015 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Apple under 100. I see bargains today.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Looking at your chart it seems that each year in the past 5 had at least one major dip. 2015 hasn't had any yet, so maybe that's all we are seeing

edit on 24-8-2015 by charolais because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

I think anyone whose job or retirement are tied to the markets (and who are at all up-to-speed with the current state of affairs in the market) had a long weekend, dreading what they would see on Monday and the rest of this week.

It's not going to be good, but the "correction" needs to happen. You can't keep propping this thing up with fancy tricks and manipulation - it only works for so long before everything starts coming apart at the seems (as we are beginning to see now)

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 09:00 AM
link   
It's at -678 right now, so it clearly regained some points. Are you guys just ITCHING to panic over this? Do you really WANT a crash to happen?

link   
a reply to: charolais

Keep in mind those charts are not taking into consideration today's losses. It's a bit more steep than that, though you're correct this is what the markets do. They go up and down, sometimes towards more extremes.

link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
It's at -678 right now, so it clearly regained some points. Are you guys just ITCHING to panic over this? Do you really WANT a crash to happen?

I noted this in the OP. You're not speaking for myself, at least.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   

If I was a prospective investor I would. Wait for the crash then invest, and when the stocks eventually plateau again then sell-it's a repetitive predictable cycle.

Some people would be loving Chinas' devaluation.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 09:07 AM
link   
It's monday, markets closed on a iffy note on friday, and September is coming up, just from my everyday knowledge of the market it seems to do this when the market closes, and near Setp - Oct.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   
It's a good day to buy Netflix and Apple stock..

Not very good other than that.

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie

If I was a prospective investor I would. Wait for the crash then invest, and when the stocks eventually plateau again then sell-it's a repetitive predictable cycle.

Some people would be loving Chinas' devaluation.

George Soros is perched in his tree like a vulture waiting to buy.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Advice: hopefully you all have been following zerohedge.com for the last year and have divested/diversified.

Tobin's Q factor (link) suggests we may be in for a correction to 70% of current valuations for the DJIA (meaning 12-14k) or much lower (5k is possible, but improbable).

Already we see currency crises as a domino effect from "The Great Fall of China" (a great domino wall!) with Australia, Vietnam, And Indonesian currency devaluations (up to 25%!). Don't think for a second that the un pegging of the yuan from the USD will save the USD... Oh, and the Big "D" (derivatives) is to the tune of 70 Trillion+ for currency derivatives....

There's no bailout big enough for that large of a currency derivative crash.

It's all in free fall and where the ball lands on the roulette wheel is unknown (unless rigged).

PS_ I won't be buying till the dust clears. This is NOT the time to buy.

edit on 8/24/2015 by drphilxr because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Now is the time to start watching gold and silver and see if they break out and start to rise.

If stocks keep falling gold and silver WILL break out and go bullish.

Gold and silver have always went the reverse of the stock market.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   
The Dow30 is down over 2000 points in a month.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Now is when you start buying. Working in the mortgage business, days like this are good days. Means mortgage rates are going down so more refinance business.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Recent explosions implodes on stock markets?
edit on 0b47America/ChicagoMon, 24 Aug 2015 09:28:47 -0500vAmerica/ChicagoMon, 24 Aug 2015 09:28:47 -05001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

I suppose the September doom might become a reality.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   
At this moment we have recovered the majority of loss on the DJIA

My analysis is bots having sell orders in the first few minutes, with day traders seeing opportunity and buying back a good chunk of it.

What people should be focusing on is, in my assessment, the cause being the Asian markets. The question is to what extent do they keep falling, and to what degree do we remain resilient in the face of this happenstance.

I am of the opinion this will be the start of a major economic contraction, but the US will remain more resilient than more fragile economies like much of the Euro, and Asian markets. It may take another month or two before we see corrections in the west if this relaxes as the week plays out, but if it continues then the start is now.

Another key point would be the oil price, we are again in the red at 3-4% for the day so far, under $40/barrel. Much of the economic boom since the "great recession" was due to the shale "oil" fracking natural gas deposits. This became economically viable as investment unlocked tech advances and the price per barrel remained high. If my knowledge is up to date, current break even rate is around $65/barrel. We have seen many jobs lost over this sector taking a hit in recent months.
edit on 24-8-2015 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

Well yes, but I'm more referring to the general idea to just panic because it looks like the economy is about to implode.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Nyse says it will halt trading depending on drops

www.bloomberg.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join