It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help with online sale scam

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 12:12 AM
link   
So long story short, I had a dumb moment after emailing someone about a sale, and ended up providing my name, phone number, email address and home address.

What can the person do with this information, if anything? Do I need to do anything?
And no, I have not provided any other information or made any sort of purchase. All they have is what is listed above.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 12:33 AM
link   
They will probably just sell your contact info to a marketing place.

I would at least inconvenience them by entering their email into mega sweepstakes, coupon and marketing mailers. They probably just did the same to you. At least get their email jammed up.

I hate those baysterds, I deal with them constantly on Craigslist with fake boat, car, motorcycle and house listings.

At least get them flagged, get as much as their info you can and get them into scambuster sites. You may save some other person some headaches.

I just dealt with one the other day on a boat listing. They were stupid enough to list their phone. They sent me a sob story and fake name, trying to get me to send them 5k through paypal. I located their info, and responded
"I don't want to use ebay, how about I just send it to your place in xxxx street xxxx Omaha, Nebraska Carol?"

...ended the convo pretty quickly

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 12:39 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

The irony of your name and this

Bless your cotton socks !! teehee

I have no advice but Id think once your real details are out there, you're up said creek sans paddle

in terms of social engineering, with the details they have, Im sure you have good friends etc who know you from a fake.
edit on 24-8-2015 by sn0rch because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Be prepared to be spammed.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 02:19 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

Tip:

Use 10 minute mail.

WWW.10minutemail.com

You'll never use your own details again

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Well the good news is that all of that information can be acquired through not using a secure connection! So don't worry. Anyone who's computer literate knows how to farm your IP address, which opens up into knowing where you live, your phone numbers, internet history, etcetcetc.

plus, all of that information you've already given to Zuckerberg(fb) I'm assuming.

top topics

join