It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which should come first: A black doctor who, or a female doctor who?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: fartlordsupreme

James Bond is based on Lionel 'Buster' Crabbe (apparently). Definately a man and definately white. In the books he is half Swiss half Scottish. Would love to know what really happened to Buster.
edit on 24-8-2015 by biggilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I honestly don't know how I feel about either as along as it is written to work within the established mythos. And not just a ploy to gain market share. Every time a TV show or Film do that, it always flops just look at Fantastic Four.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 11:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Qumulys
a reply to: jtrenthacker

But The Doctor can just regenerate into a new body, so absolutely no reason he can't be black, chinese, woman etc!
Richard Ayoade would be a hoot op, I'm with you there!
I'm also hoping that Maisie(?) (Ayra from Game of Thrones) will be the doctors next companion, but as a child version of Clara.

The Doctor could very well just be a random Mexican guy that doesn't speak English and sells tacos out of his phone booth for all I care.

But doesn't the Doctor almost if not always have a pretty female companion that in sorts loves him in a way? If it were a woman playing the Doctor then she would have to have a male companion. If it were a black Doctor it wouldn't really matter, sense one of the female companions had a black boyfriend before going with the Doctor, so the interracial sex card is out. It wouldn't really matter IMHO, I just assumed that white people were more liked throughout the universe so he kept coming back as one.

edit on 24-8-2015 by iDope because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 01:24 AM
link   
All this is OK just so long as when they make a movie about Oprah Winfrey that Helen Mirren gets the role as Oprah.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: yeahright

My bad..sorry.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Honestly?

As long as the actor/actress can carry off playing The Doctor, I don't think I really care what skin color the Doctor is, or gender for that mater.

As long as they can convince me that they are the Doctor, I really don't care.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: biggilo
All this is OK just so long as when they make a movie about Oprah Winfrey that Helen Mirren gets the role as Oprah.

Nicholas Cage should get the part.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

smoking hot

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: biggilo

How dare you suggest that the Queen play Oprah!

www.imdb.com...

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Nicholas Cage should get the part.

You serious? How would they explain the botox or plastic surgery? Or the mumbling? Next you'll suggest Bugs Bunny!

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful
Honestly?

As long as the actor/actress can carry off playing The Doctor, I don't think I really care what skin color the Doctor is, or gender for that mater.

As long as they can convince me that they are the Doctor, I really don't care.

Is it done because it's the best story line available, or to please the PC police? If it's the latter I am 100% against it regardless of how well the person acts.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 04:37 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

It is for the PC police. The DR was originally a miggle aged white English nutty professor type so why move away from that?
edit on 27-8-2015 by biggilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 05:22 AM
link   
a reply to: grimfandango

As a whovian, I think the Doctor should stay male. Sure, the Master regenerated into a female, but the Master is not the title character. The Doctor is, and after having watched 12 doctor regenerations, I kind of got used to seeing him as a male.

*But* if ever they ever go for a female 13th Doctor, I would highly suggest Tilda Swinton. I believe she would be awesome.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 05:24 AM
link   
a reply to: biggilo

Please kindly refrain from addressing him as "dr".

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 07:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: grimfandango

Which should come first: A black doctor who, or a female doctor who?.

Female. Then they could change the name of the show to Doctor Who-ha.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: swanne
a reply to: grimfandango

As a whovian, I think the Doctor should stay male. Sure, the Master regenerated into a female, but the Master is not the title character. The Doctor is, and after having watched 12 doctor regenerations, I kind of got used to seeing him as a male.

*But* if ever they ever go for a female 13th Doctor, I would highly suggest Tilda Swinton. I believe she would be awesome.

WOW!!!! Now that is a cool female Doctor. Really, she's awesome!! She matches perfectly the androgynous nature of the Doctor (he could be any specie, any gender), and she has that alien attribute. We have to make a petition to BBC to hire her for the next Doctor...

Nice find! I completely agree with you on that part.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Listen, I'm a female fan, and I DON'T want to see a female Doctor (except if it is Tilda Swinton). Zero, nada. No female Doctor. First, I think it will be too late after 13 male Doctors. Second, for me, the Doctor will always be white and male. Always. Age, accent, and nationality can change, as long he remains male and white. I understand equality, but as a woman, I really don't want to see a woman Doctor. She'll ruin the character completely (except if its Tilda Swinton). 99% of the actresses I have met do not have the eccentric, alien, grumpy, childish personality that the Doctors have exhibited throughout the years.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 12:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Which should come first: A black doctor who, or a female doctor who?.

Female. Then they could change the name of the show to Doctor Who-ha.

That's in pretty poor taste.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 06:09 AM
link   

That's in pretty poor taste.

I've said much worse than that, trust me.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Leave Dr Who as it is.

The show is from the UK right ?

So why play American politics with it ?

Hollywood does too much of that already.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join