It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which should come first: A black doctor who, or a female doctor who?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 06:05 AM
link   
a reply to: grimfandango

why? do you think we need a female doctor? or a black doctor? or is it merely to appease women or black people? heck why not a trans gender doctor who?

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 06:14 AM
link   
a reply to: kellyjay

I think we should have a trans-race white man who becomes black, who then becomes transgendered and becomes a woman, to only realize she is now gay. She can then have a same sex marriage with her companion.

That should appease the PC crowd.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 06:17 AM
link   
A ginger....

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 06:17 AM
link   
the show should be cancelled

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 06:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
A ginger....

The nearest we got was a Ginger Companion.
I'l also happy to state that Karen Gillen looks even better in Person.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Mr Headshot

I had the depthless good fortune to be a good friend of a Doctor Who fanboy from around age ten or so. So, although I am too young to remember the heyday of the show, or rather the various heydays before the recent resurgence of its popularity, my first Doctor was THE first Doctor, William Hartnell. My friend, who still owns a vast collection of Doctor Who collectibles, and a very comprehensive collection of episodes on VHS, started watching the entire chronology of the show again when he realised that I had not seen all the available episodes (of course, since then, more of the older episodes, the originals of which had been lost to time, have been discovered).

I have also seen the feature length films starring Peter Cushing, and Paul Megane, as well as all the old episodes which were available at the time. However, for me, I personally have no preference where Doctors are concerned. I think that is because I watched so many episodes back to back at various sleepovers and hangouts with my mate back in the day, that the stories ran together, as did the character of the Doctor. We would often watch nearly a whole regenerations worth of Doctor Who in one day, and often broke mid way through one Doctors life cycle, only to come back and watch an entire Doctors worth of episodes, with a regeneration happening mid way through the days viewing! So in terms of the character itself, I have never been able to really pick a favourite amongst them.

I can however say that the one who made me laugh the most, was Tom Baker, if only because his face is the most gymnastic countenance I have ever come across in either real life, or indeed in my televisual entertainment history! If ever there was a gentleman whose face could perform a roundhouse kick, followed by a backflip, it would be that of Mr Tom Baker!

As a result of the way I first experienced Doctor Who, I have no preference as to previous actors, and no problem with the idea of bringing new people in, no matter what shape they may be, as long as it fits the overarching narrative of the story so far, which is a long one indeed! However, what I would say, is that I think it is about time they started getting actors in to play the part for whole decades, rather than little runs of a few years. That made sense when there were still five or six regenerations left in the old coot, but if the series is to continue, then those playing the Doctor are going to have to sign on for serious time in the role, not just little eyeblinks, as powerful as some of them have been.

I must say, of the newer batch of Doctors, both Tenant, and Smith very much impressed me, and I was particularly sad to see them both leave the show. They both had a bloody firm and committed grasp of the role before them, and I believe they created some of the most memorable television moments of the last decade between them. I also have to give massive props to the writing staff, and directors of that period, for doing such a bang up job of constructing the atmosphere surrounding those two Doctors habitation of the TARDIS. Capaldi has yet to grab me, but I have been admittedly much busier of late in terms of personal life, and have not been keeping up very well with the television as a result, so it is probable that my issue with him stems from distance from the television in general, rather than a dislike of his MO as the Doctor. I think I have seen about three episodes with him in it.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 06:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Cymru

You met her in person?

Rather you than me... My blood pressure is high enough as it is, and that is all I shall say on that subject!

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 06:53 AM
link   
He has mentioned not being a ginger..
I say stay male but black is cool.
I hate when established characters are changed for no good reason. We didn't really need a black James west and at the same time remove the dwarf character..

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Mmmm, well, I'm thinking that to be culturally "relevant" to the US market you would want a Black Male Tranny for Dr. Who........Yea! RuPaul!

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Well, this may be out of context but as I see it, Women's movements always follow Civil Rights movements. This is how I predicted Barack would win the first time around when he went up against Hillary Clinton. The original Civil Rights movement preceded the Abolitionist movement, the Civil Rights movement led by Martin Luther King jr. preceded the Woman's movement in the 70's / 80's for equal rights in the workplace.

All being said, I believe that a Black Doctor Who will precede a female Doctor-Who based on historical facts.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: thekaboose

"Times change and so must I. We all change when you think about it. We’re all different people all through our lives. And that’s ok, that’s good, as long as you keep moving, as long as you remember all the people that you used to be. I will not forget one line of this, not one day, I swear. I will always remember when The Doctor was me."

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   

As long as the writing remains good, I don't care who the Doctor is.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Is there black Gallifreyians?

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   

For me, never. If the Doctor becomes a women I will not watch it (I'm not so bothered about the colour) the idea that the Doctor could suddenly change his gender is just stupid and I believe that they only did it to the Master as a way to shut up all the people asking for the Doctor to become a woman and sadly that was a mistake, the BBC and the Show runner should have released a statement like this:

"The Doctor is male. Much like the human race and almost all life, there are two genders for the Time Lords as a race, both Time Lords and Time Ladies, and while we are currently short on the Time Lady half of that equation we feel that changing the Doctors gender would be against the mythology that the show and it's creators have built. But with the Gallifrey story line coming up we may see some Time Ladies before long"

It was a mistake to change the Masters gender because now people are expecting to see a female Doctor and the day that happens, it'll be losing me as a viewer.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   
For some reason, I have less problem with the idea of Bond as a black man than I do with the idea of a Doctor as a woman. I guess I always felt like gender was one constant about the Doctor character from regeneration to regeneration. You knew you could count on him being him.

As for Bond, with all the physical changes the actors have gone through, I've started seeing it as a code name or brand more than as a singular character. So the idea of a black man isn't that big a deal. It would be hard to buy a female bond though ... the womanizing is part of the brand. I'm not sure you could do the female equivalent with either a straight gal hooking up with boy-toys or a lesbian hitting bond chicks and have it go over as well.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I'd love to see Idris Elba play the Doctor. A close second would be Chiwetel Ejiofor. I think either could bring the right gravitas and irony to the role.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalShadow
Like in Fantastic 4, the newest one... Johnny Blaze has never been black and there's no reason to change that.

Johnny Storm, yo. Johnny Blaze is Ghost Rider.

Jeez, I'm havin' a comic induced aneurysm over here.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Yep. Tesco Cardiff Bay. Matt Smith in front and Karen Gillan behind me.

Major Geek Overload.

Oh and met John Hurt in the Pub across the road a few days later not knowing he was in the Christmas Special.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Cymru

I believe we call that, a nerdgasm.

Just a little FYI

That's awesome!

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I was a die-hard Tom Baker fan before the latest crop of Doctors.

(I never had the scarf, but I always rocked the hat!)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join