It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tsunami relief: Unprecedented response

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 12:03 PM
link   
There has been an unprecedented response from the international public in raising money for the tsunami victims. This may be the biggest show of compassion I have ever seen. However, I want honest feedback, on just how many of you were compelled by your peers or by the media in donating and just how much did you donate.

I ask because I was almost forced by my peers to donate a chunk of money(700 )almost as if I was being guilt tripped. If I didn't, it automatically means I must be a terrible person. This was from people who are otherwise known to be stingy. I was in awe of that sudden display of compassion. The last time I saw this kind of display of compassion was when Princess Diana died.

I ask those people, do you think this is the first time millions have been in need of aid?

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I don't like sharing personal info on how much money I donate, but I can say I contribute to at least six causes on a regular basis. I didn't feel pressure by anyone to donate to the Tsunami aid, I did it because I wanted to and while I won't give you the exact figure, let's just say, i'm going to have a wait a while again before I can buy my 32 inch flat screen tv.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I got an email from a charity that I think sums up what's happening in the world right now. Here's part of it:

We have been blessed and overwhelmed by your caring
response to the urgent needs of families in Asia. Because
of the unprecedented volume of visitors and supporters to
our Web site, you may have experienced delays when
accessing our Web information or making a gift. We are sorry
for any inconvenience this may have caused you, but encourage
you to try our site again at www.worldvision.org/tsunami
for updates on World Vision's response to the Asia tsunamis
as well as to send your donations to children and families in
need.

If the media made as many waves about tragedies that strike on a smaller scale, most charities would have to buy new servers and get more operators. I'm not going to even elude as to what, if anything, I donated. I would like to say, though, things like World Vision, where it can be subscription based, are a good idea so you can be helping people out even when a tragidy isn't being broadcast on your news and you're thinking about it. You can also donate with a one time donation, but the subscription based helps get your money where it needs to be when the suffering isn't before your eyes.

Rock, rock on.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Would'nt it be nice if all of the nations that are responding to this disaster would be able to get along in the absence of one? Now that would really be something to see. I am saddend to hear about all of the dead and the ones who will die as a direct result of this.It is a shame that it takes something like this to happen in order for the nations of the world to come together. I think the true test will be to see just how long they will be able to get along working side by side.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Flying High: Once again, we've seen that even in a crisis people let politics get in the way of saving lives. Sri Lanka is the latest little buddy to decide that the people who know saving people from rubble better than anyone in the world aren't welcome to help them out.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Im not a wealthy person, and this close to Christmas i have to count the pennies. But I donated because i felt it was the right thing to do. I have donated to several disaster relief funds in the past.

[edit on 30-12-2004 by Janus]

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I am amazed at the amount of people all over the world that are dipping in to there pockets to help,
I have felt no pressure as when i first heard about this i started looking at how i could help..

junglejake i also make regular donations to worldvision by sponcering a child in a poor country, its an amazing feeling and i get letters all the time,
I have made a good friend of my sponcered child over the years... and one day plan to make a trip there,

I also just want to say a big
to my fellow UK'ers who have helped contribute to the raised 50m in aid for Asia!!!

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 01:56 PM
link   
hehe asala, whoever the person is who typically translates the letters I get...well, I can't read their handwritting. So my support has mostly been financial and I haven't really gotten to hear from those sponsored. I probably should write, though...

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 01:59 PM
link   
It's encouraging to hear how many of us here have donated. I posted on another thread earlier that a poll on CNN showed only 18% of those who took the time to answer the poll had donated. I found that very depressing. I mean if THIS disaster isn't going to motivate people what WILL it take?

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I think the world is doing plenty. I get all miffed when I see/hear about people saying otherwise right now.

As the magnitude of the disaster becomes more clear each day, the assistance increases accordingly.

I actually think some of these countries should be commended for thier fast and generous responses. Even the US!! You must understand that we are in the midst of one of the largest catastrophes most of us will ever whitness, there are no rules or standards for governing relief and help.

I think once this is all over and done (if thats possible) the world will have donated $billions of dollars NOT INCLUDING private donations and contributions.

Not to turn this into a "everybody hates the US" thread, but I think the UN should take back its previous statements regarding the rich nations as being "stingy" and maybe thank them for the generous and fast support.

The US so far has offered up $35million in cash, an enitire Carrier group that consists of dozens of ships (two of those can purify water) and thousands and thousands of men as well as dozens of fixed and rotor winged aircraft. And this is just to start.

Add that to all the other nations contributions and we have a relief effort like never before in history.

I think the world is doing plenty. Lets just hope that it actually is enough.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Yep and without pressure, and will do again and again as I get paid. They need the money more than I do - I have a roof over my head, a fridge full of food, electricity, filtered water, a cupboardful of clothes, a car filled with petrol ... there are millions over there who have none of that and are in need of medical treatment, AND they've lost loved ones - anything I can spare I will give. And go the British public who have already donated 25 mil to the tsunami appeal.

I think people are in the right spirit and doing what they can. Countries who have the funds and resources to help will have to keep helping out for a while yet ... the relief aid is only at the initial stages. No doubt more and more funds will need to be allocated.

[edit on 30-12-2004 by c_au]

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo_Child

I ask because I was almost forced by my peers to donate a chunk of money(700 )almost as if I was being guilt tripped.

Is that 700 pounds? I'm sure that is a lot more than I donated. I gave all that I had.

Yes, I do give all of the time to Catholic relief, and Amazon relief and Catholic Charities.

Once I help to buy a goat and another time I helped to buy a truck. Many times this personal giving happened as the others said on this thread.

But, there is room right in our own neighborhoods. Most people I know contribute money, time and love to people we know who need help.

I don't feel forced at all.

God Bless

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I have to said, we humans can show a very high rate of compashion when others are in need, is part of us been human.

To bad that the same rate of emotion is not put into work to avoid so much hatred and fights over other things in this world.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   
``

ran across this site, spun-off from www.gadling

that Tsunami Update from Sea N See/Manthiri article
is informative, in that Taj Exotica resort is temp. closed!!

[spot ?? of gilligin island show??]

it might take some time to get back to normal, if ever....

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 04:28 PM
link   

There has been an unprecedented response from the international public in raising money for the tsunami victims. This may be the biggest show of compassion I have ever seen. However, I want honest feedback, on just how many of you were compelled by your peers or by the media in donating and just how much did you donate.

I ask because I was almost forced by my peers to donate a chunk of money(700 )almost as if I was being guilt tripped. If I didn't, it automatically means I must be a terrible person. This was from people who are otherwise known to be stingy. I was in awe of that sudden display of compassion. The last time I saw this kind of display of compassion was when Princess Diana died.

I ask those people, do you think this is the first time millions have been in need of aid?

1st of all.. i dont need to disclose how much i donated, nor should anyone else. Thats a personal thing. Admiting to allmost donating 700 is tantamount to bragging in my book. Did you actually donate 700?
To be pressured into donating is wrong. You should be able to do this by your own concience.

In answer to your other question, i donated because i felt it was the right thing to do. If i could be there to donate my time to help, i would go at the drop of a hat. If any one has the number who i could contact to offer my services, then i would appreciate it.

At the end of the day, this has been tragic. Lets not make a topic of it and lets get back to helping those who need the help. Discussing how much we each give is irelevant. Talking about it is even worse.......................

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Bikereddie, no I did not give 700. If I did, I would not have been "bragging" about it. I will not mention what I did give or not give. I was pressured by peers. Further, anything can be discussed. Yes, even death tolls and the politics of situations. This does not make you any less compassionate, it just means you are a detached observer with your feet firmly in the ground, and your eyes latched onto the world.

What I am trying to stress here that millions are in need of aid and always have been. Yet, I don't see 25 million being raised by British or Americans in a day for them. What will happen when the media stop reporting? I expect it to drop by a landslide to an insignificance like it has always been.

My point is, if we maintain efforts like this as a society, the poverty in our society will quickly become history. If we stress to our governments to utilize our tax $$$/ for healing, rather than warring, poverty the world over will be eradicated. However, and I beg my pardons from those who do contribute regularly, I feel this is nothing more than a show that will be over in a couple of months and we will return to spending it on pizzas and clubbing.

I am interested in a long-term solution to eradicating poverty. I am looking beyond the surface. We need a consistent system in place as a society to aid the poor in our countries and in others. We can do it, if society as a whole lifts it's finger to put into action. What do we have to lose? A few beers? A few nights at the clubs? A few pizzas?

I read recently in the Sikh religion that each man should give 10% of their net earnings to charity. Let's just see what a mere 10% could do:

Note: I am not including holidays in my calculations. As they are neglible in the grande scheme of things. The figures are all approximations and do not
claim to be accurate. This is a very crude calculation to only illustrate a point:

UNITED KINGDOM:

The income per capita is approx 1100 per month
10% is 110 per month(approx 27.50 a week)
110 * 30,000,000(middle class estimate)
= 3.3 billion per month or approx 39.6 billion per year

The income per capita of the upper(upper-middle) class is approx 2000 per month
10% is 200 per month
200 *12,000,000
= 2.4 billion per month or approx 28.8 billion per year

Total: 68.4 billion or $131.9 billion per year

Now that figure is just the giving power of the UK public if they only gave 10% of their income to charity. That is more than 100 times what the
UK government(GDP: $1.66 trillion) donates.

If the UK government gave 10% of it's GDP: 166 billion or $320 billion:

The total power of UK to give is: $431 billion

The number of countries with around(margin of $100b's) the same giving power: France, Germany, Italy, Japan.

This means just five rich countries(not including US) have the ability to give way over $2 trillion in aid. They are not called rich for nothing.

UNITED STATES:

The income per capita is approx $37,600 per month
10% is $3,760 per month(approx $940 a week)
3,760 * 130,000,000(middle class estimate) Source: en.wikipedia.org...
= $488 billion per month or approx $5.8 trillion per year

The income per capita of the upper class is approx $60,000-70,000 per month(I will take the higher figure)
10% is 7000
7000 * 11,000,000(upper class(top 5%) estimate)
= $77 billion per month or approx $924 billion per year

Total: $6.7+ trilion per year if they only gave 10% of their income

That is the US public giving power if they only gave 10% of their income to charity. That is nearly 500 times than what the US government(GDP: $10.99 trillion) donates.

If the US government gave 10% of it's GDP: $1.9 trillion, then:

The total power of US to give is: $8.6 trillion.

The 6 top rich countries have the ability to give $10.6 trillion combined in a single year.

What would $10.6 trillion do for the poor in the world? To put it simply, it would wipe out poverty everywhere in less than five years,

In the poor countries, $500 is enough to sustain for a month and is the average national income(some of the extreme poor can stretch that for a year) so $6000 per year is more than enough for the poor to be able to stand up on their feet. How many poor people can be given $6000 each with a $10.6 trillion aid? 1.7 billion people.

That would be the eradication of poverty in the top 21 extreme poor nations(per capita income less than $1000) in the first year.

1. Sirerra Leone: 5 million
2. Ethopia: 67 million
3. Mayotte: 186,000
4. Somalia: 8 million
5. Tanzaina: 36.5 million
6. Cambodia: 13 million
7. Congo - Democratic republic: 58 million
8. Burundi: 6 million
9. Eritrea: 4 million
10. Comoros: 652,000
11. Tuvalu: 11,500
12. Yemen: 20 million
13. Madagascar: 17.5 million
14. Mali: 12 million
15. Kiribati: 100,700
16: Afghanistan 28.5 million
17: Rwanda: 8 million
18: Guinea-Bissau: 1 million
19: Zambia: 10 million
20: Nigeria: 137 million
21: Liberia: 3 million

Approx: 435.5 million would be lifted out of poverty

This leaves us with approx $8 trillion. $10 billion for each country for basic infrastructure, sanitation and medicine would be more than enough. This would bring the total to $210 billion for these 21 extremely poor countries, leaving us with approx $7.8 trillion to spend on 1.3 billion from other nations:

This would cover the rest of the top 79 poorest nations as well as infrastructure, sanitation and medicine. That's an eradication of poverty of 33% of the worlds population in a single year. The rest, and note I have not mentioned India and China, and that is simply because they have enough economic power to take care of their own population.

If the top 25 rich countries met their giving power, poverty would be completely eradicated in a single year.

Just how many of you want to end poverty for good? Just how many are willing to give up just some of those expensive habits for just a year, so that billions in the world can have the basic needs? Those who do, are the real generous, kind hearted, responsible and moral citizens of this world. Those who give away pity in the form of peanuts, because that is what we give at this moment, should bite their tongue before saying they are "generous"

[edit on 31-12-2004 by Indigo_Child]

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 04:46 AM
link   
This is as Kofe Annnan said, " a world catastrphe ". Accordingly, our family business has donated a six figure sum. We have also made enquiries about the whereabouts of several families of our employess in Indonesia and stand ready to provide any financial assistance. We have also made enquiries about about sponsoring any surviving family members to Australia. As yet there is no word non the families.

I fear that, these people have lost there families as they were in the Aceh province.

Many of out employees in the head office have enquired about donating wages, which we will match dollar for dollar.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Bikereddie, no I did not give 700. If I did, I would not have been "bragging" about it. I will not mention what I did give or not give. I was pressured by peers.

Why did you feel that you needed to ask others how much they were giving?

Indigo_Child: However, I want honest feedback, on just how many of you were compelled by your peers or by the media in donating and just how much did you donate.

Poverty is something of which we are all aware. However, you would not end poverty by sending a one time shot of money. Or even a subsistence amount monthly. This is only a short time help. We need to help these people living in poverty to be able to help themselves.

So we need studies and plans/goals. Do you know anyone who is working in this direction to help with the poverty stricken?

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Why did you feel that you needed to ask others how much they were giving?

Curiosity, I guess. I was more interested in the reasons than the amount.

Indigo_Child: However, I want honest feedback, on just how many of you were compelled by your peers or by the media in donating and just how much did you donate.

Poverty is something of which we are all aware. However, you would not end poverty by sending a one time shot of money. Or even a subsistence amount monthly. This is only a short time help. We need to help these people living in poverty to be able to help themselves.

Yes, and we can help them help themselves by giving them that 10% of our income that we otherwise would spend on our own luxuries.

So we need studies and plans/goals. Do you know anyone who is working in this direction to help with the poverty stricken?

What we need, shown by the calculations above, is for state policy for the rich countries and it's citizens to pay 10% towards charity. It will help the poor to help themselves. It is as simple as it sounds. All there needs to be is the intention to do so.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 05:46 AM
link   

UNITED STATES:

The income per capita is approx $37,600 per month
10% is $3,760 per month(approx $940 a week)
3,760 * 130,000,000(middle class estimate) Source: en.wikipedia.org...
= $488 billion per month or approx $5.8 trillion per year

The income per capita of the upper class is approx $60,000-70,000 per month(I will take the higher figure)
10% is 7000
7000 * 11,000,000(upper class(top 5%) estimate)
= $77 billion per month or approx $924 billion per year

Total: $6.7+ trilion per year if they only gave 10% of their income

Did you maybe mean to say these were yearly incomes? Or has Bill Gates really screwed up the bell curve? Thinking maybe I should start looking to move south

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join