It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows 10 Banned by Torrent Trackers / File-Sharers at Risk

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I've done the upgrade to Windows 10 on two of my three computers. On one I need to do development work on it so upgrading was mandatory. The other is a netbook so I upgraded since it's more efficient and I don't like running Linux. On my last computer which is my rather nice desktop I will not be upgrading.

Interestingly enough I just realized today that the licenses on three pieces of software I use (pirated software) all simultaneously decided to stop working. This is on the Windows 10 computer.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
I've done the upgrade to Windows 10 on two of my three computers. On one I need to do development work on it so upgrading was mandatory. The other is a netbook so I upgraded since it's more efficient and I don't like running Linux. On my last computer which is my rather nice desktop I will not be upgrading.

Interestingly enough I just realized today that the licenses on three pieces of software I use (pirated software) all simultaneously decided to stop working. This is on the Windows 10 computer.

it's quite possible that whatever cracks/workarounds your pirated software used to bypass online checks for example, stopped working on windows 10, and the software itself was able to figure out that the license is invalid. unless you can prove that it was windows that checked the validity of said software, it's offtopic and FUD at the same time.

also, you deserve it - especially if you're using said software for work.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

I do not know why your programs do not work but I could hazard a guess...not compatible with the hack and win10?

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: jedi_hamster
it's quite possible that whatever cracks/workarounds your pirated software used to bypass online checks for example, stopped working on windows 10, and the software itself was able to figure out that the license is invalid. unless you can prove that it was windows that checked the validity of said software, it's offtopic and FUD at the same time.

I can't prove that it was Windows 10, there's plenty of things that could cause it but I do find it coincidental especially since it did work after upgrading to 10, but ceased to work between checking after the upgrade and now.

I also don't use it for work, purely educational. If I were using it professionally I would purchase the licenses.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: jedi_hamster

This isn't a hoax - some torrent trackers are banning Windows 10 over privacy concerns. And there are privacy concerns. Here is some information from a reputable news organization, Slate, which sources the user agreement saying this:

Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary.

www.slate.com...

Here is the part of the user agreement that talks about pirated games being disabled:

“The Microsoft Services Agreement allows Microsoft to change or discontinue certain apps or content where we deem your security is at risk,” a Microsoft spokesperson said in a statement provided to GamesBeat. “This section of the Microsoft Services Agreement is consistent with language in former Terms of Use agreements, which carried over with the introduction of the unified services agreement on August 1. Software that is pirated or botted places the safety and security of our customers at risk, including a higher risk of malware, fraud, public exposure of personal information, and poor performance or feature malfunction. We remain committed to protecting our customers from the risks of non-genuine software and protecting the intellectual property of developers of all types of content.”

venturebeat.com...

From what I can tell, those are the two parts of the EULA that are making torrent sites a bit paranoid. They could be connecting the dots when there aren't any, that could be.

edit on 24pmMon, 24 Aug 2015 14:58:17 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 24pmMon, 24 Aug 2015 15:00:02 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

To me, Linux it far too obtuse and nonsensical to use
in command line mode especially! At least Windows (any version!)
puts a decent user interface on top of the underlying code base.
Security-wise NO-ONE will have TRUE security UNLESS you have
control of your own CPU/GPU hardware, control of any assembler
and compiler technology and Control of the Web-and-Network
oriented Communications Protocols i.e. HTTP/FTP/HTML.

We as a society currently CHOOSE to TRUST a commercial provider
such as a CPU maker (Intel/AMD/ARM) or a Motherboard maker
TYAN/MSI/ASUS etc. and any Given compiler maker assembler
make BUT that trust may be misplaced!

For all we know, Norton Anti-Virus download Ring-0 privileged
(Kernel and below level) code on behalf of Microsoft and various
3/4 letter agencies for future triggering and targeting without
our knowing. You can't even TRUST the most BASE level of
software and hardware hardware because YOU did NOT
design and manufacture it in your OWN secured facilities.
You DID NOT program your own OS and Devices Drivers
and you DID NOT program your own assembler/compiler
and also DO NOT interpret and filter the IP4/IP6
data streams and HTML/JAVA/FLASH rendering engines.

Soooooo....YOU are stuck between a rock and a hard place!

So WHO DO YOU TRUST! and WHY? And if NOT,
what can you do about it on a personal, local
group-based level and on a commercial level?

---

The problem is MOST people really have no clue
how this all works at the base level, so you are
stuck with the powers that be (US!) that seek
to corral you into electronic, political and physical
prisons ensuring we can quietly fatten y'all up so
that we reptilian overloads may EAT YOU like the
Sheeple you TRULY ARE!

he he he ;-) :-)

edit on 2015/8/24 by StargateSG7 because: sp

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

I can't prove that it was Windows 10, there's plenty of things that could cause it but I do find it coincidental especially since it did work after upgrading to 10, but ceased to work between checking after the upgrade and now.

I also don't use it for work, purely educational. If I were using it professionally I would purchase the licenses.

perhaps the license check doesn't kick in on every app launch.
or perhaps the system wasn't online when you did the check after the upgrade.

there are plenty of possible explanations, but it's easiest to suggest that it's windows and microsoft to blame, just because of a coincidence, right?

you can't prove it, just like noone posting all those threads spreading fear and doom theories about windows 10 can prove their claims, yet all those people spread their false accusations, and so are you. what's the point?

and what's next? 'i've upgraded to windows 10 and a day after my dog got diarrhea, it has to be connected!'?

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake

This isn't a hoax - some torrent trackers are banning Windows 10 over privacy concerns. And there are privacy concerns. Here is some information from a reputable news organization, Slate, which sources the user agreement saying this:

Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary.

www.slate.com...

Here is the part of the user agreement that talks about pirated games being disabled:

“The Microsoft Services Agreement allows Microsoft to change or discontinue certain apps or content where we deem your security is at risk,” a Microsoft spokesperson said in a statement provided to GamesBeat. “This section of the Microsoft Services Agreement is consistent with language in former Terms of Use agreements, which carried over with the introduction of the unified services agreement on August 1. Software that is pirated or botted places the safety and security of our customers at risk, including a higher risk of malware, fraud, public exposure of personal information, and poor performance or feature malfunction. We remain committed to protecting our customers from the risks of non-genuine software and protecting the intellectual property of developers of all types of content.”

[url=https://venturebeat.com/2015/08/21/microsoft-claims-windows-10-eula-that-supposedly-removes-pirated-games-is-about-security/]Venturebeat.com[/url ]

From what I can tell, those are the two parts of the EULA that are making torrent sites a bit paranoid. They could be connecting the dots when there aren't any, that could be.

as i've said earlier, that's a privacy policy for services. that sentence has NOTHING to do with windows 10. if you think otherwise, provide a direct link to microsoft website saying so.

as for torrent trackers, i've said that earlier as well - they can force people using their websites to use fake user-agent in their browsers and that's about it. people all over this thread report that their torrent clients are working fine with whatever trackers they're using.

stop twisting the FACTS over and over again.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

Thanks for trying.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   

you can't prove it, just like noone posting all those threads spreading fear and doom theories about windows 10 can prove their claims, yet all those people spread their false accusations, and so are you. what's the point?

and what's next? 'i've upgraded to windows 10 and a day after my dog got diarrhea, it has to be connected!'?

You can't prove it wasn't so we're both just spouting our opinions, except I'm not even saying anything definitively. My main reason for not upgrading my other computer is that I don't like the newer Windows interface. It's still on 7 and I like that one, the computer I upgraded to 10 was already on 8.1 so nothing was getting any worse.

That said, I remember what Windows 7 was like when it first came out and it was considered bad as well. I'm sure I'll upgrade eventually. People like to complain about new technology because it's not the same as the old, I'm no different.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   

The clear Irony here is that Microsoft itself is stuck between
a rock and a hard place. Politically and Criminally IF ANY EMAIL,
source code or text message EVER leaked out that indicated
that an INTENTIONALLY-PLACED and HIGHER-UP sanctioned backdoor
was ever put into Windows 10 itself there would be widespread
HELL to pay!

This means that on a general level that it is UNLIKELY Microsoft
ITSELF does any tracking other than internal use for its own
publicly disclosed Microsoft Genuine Advantage software
licencing management system.

That said, it does not preclude Microsoft from being paid
by large commercial and government level interests to
sign NDA's allowing MS to release source code and any
API (Application Programming Interface) specifications that
would ALLOW third parties to EXPLOIT common flaws and
take advantage of typical user behaviour to exploit a SINGLE
computer or a whole network of computers for any desired
purpose.

Again, the issue becomes WHO OR WHAT DO YOU PERSONALLY
TRUST regarding your choice of OS, PC System or Mobile Hardware
and any General workhorse or business software?

What actions do YOU personally take in order to protect
and backup your data and work from outside eyes or
malicious tampering? What internal systems do YOU
use to enforce and/or audit basic computer security?

Is Linux OS and Do-It-Yourself/Homebrew Hardware the Answer?

What would happen if it WAS found out that software and
hardware backdoors ARE in every major computing system?
Vote, Jail, Throw Them All Out of the Country? Try them all for Treason?

What would YOU and your compatriots do?

TEL ME WHAT YOU WOULD ALL DO !!!! ???

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

Let's face it. MS is a giant company that has to be proactive and put that sort of language in their T&C's. In order to protect themselves from the legal canons aimed at them from other companies.

The question is. Is MS really going to sit there and sort through the information from hundreds of millions of computers?
Doubtful.

Could they?
If someone paid them to. Maybe.

They walk a fine line between alienating their customers and protecting themselves from lawsuits.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: rigel4

originally posted by: rigel4
Linux,Linux,Linux,Linux,Linux,Linux,Linux,Linux,Linux,Linux,Linux,Linux,Linux,Linux,Linux,Linux,
Linux,Linux,Linux,Linux,Linux,Linux,Linux,Linux,Linux,Linux,Linux,Linux,Linux,Linux,Linux,Linux,

Am I making myself clear

you are trolling.
am i making myself clear?

Who are you ?

Off you go and let the adults talk now

----

Oooooh!!! the Irony of this....!

He has experience in computer vision, servo control, synchronous operation,
HMIs, embedded operating systems, homeostatic control, motion control,
PLC programming, multiprocessor systems, distributed control systems,
stereoscopic ranging, simultaneous localization and mapping, datamatrix
reading and verification and can run a marathon in 2:49:35....I THINK?

so I think HE knows what he is talking about....

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Thread closed for staff review

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join