It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows 10 Banned by Torrent Trackers / File-Sharers at Risk

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Windows 10 is being banned by torrent trackers, meaning that file-sharers using Windows 10 will be unable to download their torrents. They did this in response to Windows 10 vaguely stating that it can disable pirated games. However, there is more. Microsoft has decided that the users of Windows 10 don't get any data protection - and it is going to actively send data about its users to companies such as MarkMonitor, one of the largest anti-piracy companies.

What kind of data will be sent to these people? Well, for one, Google searches, and for another local disk searches, for example if you are going to search your hard drive for a certain movie or song to watch or listen to this gets sent to the anti-piracy companies in order to make sure it is all legit.

"Unfortunately Microsoft decided to revoke any kind of data protection and submit whatever they can gather to not only themselves but also others. One of those is one of the largest anti-piracy company called MarkMonitor," a staff at iTS stated on Reddit.

"What's particularly nasty is that apparently it sends the results of local(!!) searches to a well known anti piracy company directly so as soon as you have one known p2p or scene release on your local disk ... BAM!," BB noted.

Source

On to other privacy concerns outside of file-sharing, Windows 10 can do the following:

Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary.

This means that they look at your e-mails and other content on your PC and can turn them over to whoever they want if they find it necessary.

Visit the following article to learn how to turn on privacy settings in Windows 10 to maximize privacy.

[url=http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/bitwise/2015/08/windows_10_privacy_problems_here_s_how_bad_they_are_and_how_to_plug_them.html]Slate.com[ /url]

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

My goodness. Thieves think they are being victimized.
Well, that kind of thinking is in the air these days.
It could suggested that is one aspect of what is wrong with the general society today, but probably it would be shouted down.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

It's not thievery, it is sharing. Was it thievery to make mixtapes in the 90's ripped from the radio? No. Was it thievery to record HBO or Cinamax movies with VHS for your in home pleasure? No. As long as it wasn't being sold. No one sells torrents either. It is the displacement of information for the common good who wish to be apart of that information.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: iDope

It's not thievery, it is sharing. Was it thievery to make mixtapes in the 90's ripped from the radio? No. Was it thievery to record HBO or Cinamax movies with VHS for your in home pleasure? No. As long as it wasn't being sold. No one sells torrents either. It is the displacement of information for the common good who wish to be apart of that information.

Just a note, vhs and tape companies have to pay a "fee" to the riaa people and the movie companies due to a lawsuit in the 80's. The problem here is there are no vcr companies to shake down with online sharing. My views are aligned in the gray area of it all, but I still don't think I will get Windows ten until forced to or they turn it off. Like the serial numbers in the old Intel processors of ~2000.

I think the saving of information is mostly to market similarly to the way gmail is run, to sell advertising, but backhanded deals are backhanded deals.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: KilroyRock

It looks like since they are sending data to anti piracy companies that there is more behind Windows 10 than simple advertisement sharing. Maybe Windows 10 is preparing to work with the TPP treaty and its Harsh stance on IP

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Double post!
edit on 23pmSun, 23 Aug 2015 22:33:40 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: KilroyRock

Just a note, vhs and tape companies have to pay a "fee" to the riaa people and the movie companies due to a lawsuit in the 80's. The problem here is there are no vcr companies to shake down with online sharing. My views are aligned in the gray area of it all, but I still don't think I will get Windows ten until forced to or they turn it off. Like the serial numbers in the old Intel processors of ~2000.

I think the saving of information is mostly to market similarly to the way gmail is run, to sell advertising, but backhanded deals are backhanded deals.

If that is true, then why do they still sell blank VHS tapes and DVD's and BluRays? So is there a lawsuit for DVD, BluRay, and producers of those players as well? Since I can dual record movies and record straight from TV to disc? If I buy a movie and have a party at my house and let people view it for free it is against the law, If I charge them money to watch it, it is against the law. That is how ridiculous it is. So why not just give them copies of the movie if they provide the disc?
edit on 23-8-2015 by iDope because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun
a reply to: darkbake

My goodness. Thieves think they are being victimized.
Well, that kind of thinking is in the air these days.
It could suggested that is one aspect of what is wrong with the general society today, but probably it would be shouted down.

First of all, no one said they feel like they are being "victimized". Those are YOUR words.

Secondly, what part of intrusion of privacy DON'T you understand? You honestly feel it is okay for microsoft to use their software to spy on individuals? You think it is okay that every e-mail you send will be recorded, and read?

Third, those of us who use torrents and download "at our own risk" stuff aren't playing victim.....we just are smart enough to not download software that is trying to "catch" us.

For me personally, I pay for entertainment I appreciate.....but the idea of paying $60 for a video game that may or may not COMPLETELY suck, is INSANE. The idea of buying a music CD before I listen to it is insane to me. I don't everyone to the feel the same way....but I like to know what I'm paying for. I woudn't buy a piece of artwork if I couldn't see it first, so why should I go on a blind date with ANY of the entertainment I purchase? No thanks....I'll stick to previewing said media in my own way

(post by Harvin removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 11:17 PM
link   
HA sanyone heard of turining off windows update and in the srervices and disabling the rights protection? Sheesh. its a easy fix to keep windows from spying on you. SHoot you can even get programs that will block microsoft having access to the system.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Windows 10 sounds like it sucks.... is Hitler still alive and working for Microsoft?
I will just use VirtualBox and run Linux if I ever get a new computer.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 11:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa
HA sanyone heard of turining off windows update and in the srervices and disabling the rights protection? Sheesh. its a easy fix to keep windows from spying on you. SHoot you can even get programs that will block microsoft having access to the system.

So are you using win10 right now? What does windows update have to do with the topic? What makes you think disabling the ability for microsoft to spy on you via windows is possible?

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 12:55 AM
link   

a reply to: imitator
Windows 10 sounds like it sucks.... is Hitler still alive and working for Microsoft?

yes , but he wanted to call it "Windows Nein"

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Exactly. In a world where we are encouraged to use online storage, erps, my slip of security allowed me to share my files.

I live in a country with 5 free to air channels. they have 3 alternatives each. All of the alternatives play repeats or the same thing as the main channel, and they play non stop infomercials and adverts.

I'm watching my tv despite free to air here.

Also, here's a twist. Ubuntu has had this feature/bug since late version 10 also. haha. coincidence?

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 01:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

Obv a M$ shill here to sell the devils soul to us.

we're onto you, demon.. as if turning off those things makes a di.. oh wait..

huh... what do you know...

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 01:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: imitator
I will just use VirtualBox and run Linux if I ever get a new computer.

And tunnel everything via an onion proxy. Just to make it absolutely unreasonably slow

also, vnc into it from a tablet. a phablet even. with only 2 cores. and a mali 400 gpu

come on, we're heading for the worst user experience arent we???
edit on 24-8-2015 by sn0rch because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join