It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

70% of North Korea’s Submarines have Left their Bases, Can’t be Located

page: 13
<< 10  11  12   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Bicent76

No, you're right. They don't stand a chance. We'll have them sunk in hours.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Who said we have no chance? I don't remember seeing that said anywhere.

But you're right. I see the error of my ways. They won't last five minutes.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
I'm being realistic. I know what a problem finding diesel electric boats is to begin with, and how much harder it is in shallow water. No matter how much more advanced you are, the basic rules still apply. Standard sonar has problems with shallow water.

Here's a question for you since I know nothing of such things. These NK subs seem to be pretty small, from what little I think I know, firing a torpedo gives away a subs position almost every time. Do these subs individually actually have enough firepower to sink something in our navy? I was under the impression that carriers could withstand multiple hits, and that carrier groups would position themselves to shield the carrier and fuel tanker with destroyers, which could also withstand multiple hits.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 10:51 PM
link   

yes lots of uboats were sunk, no, not so many in shallow seas, (and on the US coast) compared to deep water .......and that over 6 years of war - the N Koreans only need theirs for the 2-3 days BEFORE the war starts........

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 10:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: Zaphod58
I'm being realistic. I know what a problem finding diesel electric boats is to begin with, and how much harder it is in shallow water. No matter how much more advanced you are, the basic rules still apply. Standard sonar has problems with shallow water.

Here's a question for you since I know nothing of such things. These NK subs seem to be pretty small, from what little I think I know, firing a torpedo gives away a subs position almost every time. Do these subs individually actually have enough firepower to sink something in our navy? I was under the impression that carriers could withstand multiple hits, and that carrier groups would position themselves to shield the carrier and fuel tanker with destroyers, which could also withstand multiple hits.

they won't come any where near carriers - they are short range coastal boats.

they carry 2 tubes, and can lay mines from them - which would probably be more dangerous than any actual torpedoes they might try to fire!!

But that said the Russian 533mm torpedo has a 300kg - and the General Belgrano was sunk by 2 british 21" torpedoes (the same size) with 360kg warheads (both he cruiser and torpedoes being WW2 vintage!!) - one of them tore off the whole bow - so a hit on anything is going to ruin its day!

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 03:57 AM
link   
I dont see why this is even being discussed. This is a non story.

Look, NK isn't going to try anything. They won't attack, they know it would be suicide. If they ever did try something they would blown away in the matter of minutes. They know this, they know we know this, we know they know this.

It's all talk and no action.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: shadowmyst
I dont see why this is even being discussed. This is a non story.

Look, NK isn't going to try anything. They won't attack, they know it would be suicide. If they ever did try something they would blown away in the matter of minutes. They know this, they know we know this, we know they know this.

It's all talk and no action.

Well I don't agree this is a non story. Military actions are taken for multiple reasons and drills are generally announced. It also happened in a tense moment and this news deserved attention. Zaph gave a lot of good infos about their range and capabilities which I assume most of us weren't aware of in these details.
I'm pretty sure this move had a weight in the "negotiations" or was something to raise tension to achieve the intervention of big brothers.

What's worthless is the flexing we are seeing for or against 'mmurica, but you see the replies and just move on, it's not like they are new.
edit on 28 8 2015 by Mastronaut because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

I'll say that it depends what is on the tip of the torpedo.

Additionally, depth can be the worst enemy of a submarine that has been acquired. If caught in the open ocean, they approach test depth in an attempt to get below sound channels and get the tail off. This leaves them much more vulnerable to high energy depth charges and torpedoes as they already have thousands of pounds of pressure on the hull.
edit on 1-9-2015 by charlyv because: s

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   
news flash! one of the missing subs turned up in my commode...but I flushed it. Crisis averted.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormbringer1701
news flash! one of the missing subs turned up in my commode...but I flushed it. Crisis averted.

Damn, you should have taken the baking soda out of it, so it could never surface again!

(I am sure this will only be understood by old farts like myself, but who knows.)

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   
wasn't exactly what i was talking about but i remember that. They were free toy prizes in many brands of cereal as well as stand alone purchasable toys.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormbringer1701
wasn't exactly what i was talking about but i remember that. They were free toy prizes in many brands of cereal as well as stand alone purchasable toys.

This 50's submarine thing started out as a cool pun, but it caused me to look at trying to get one today. Holy $$$ !

Just the cereal box it came in, in perfect condition is worth $300 to $400, and if you can find the actual original sub, unused could be in 4 figures, if it is in perfect condition, inside it's little wrapper.

Some foresight like that back then could be a retirement today.

top topics

<< 10  11  12   >>

join