It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to Remove Windows 10 Upgrade Icon and Stop Windows 10 From Installing During Windows Update

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: _BoneZ_

Love your work

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: proob4

because of windows 95 and 98 9had been used already remember

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 11:03 PM
link   

thanks for the info, I had no idea that MS was trying to push this into systems that didn't queue up...

ON a low BW DSL feed it was quite noticeable that our speed was being compromised by something, but I couldn't track it down..

running your tips on all of our pc's laptops, has eliminated that worry... our normal crap speed is back.

it may not be a blip on the radar for folks who have 20Mbps speed or higher, but that kind of intrusion is suffocating to those of us who max out at 1.5Mbps....

thanks again

edit on Mon, 24 Aug 2015 11:01:22 -0500 by JacKatMtn because: sp

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 02:30 AM
link   

There is no windows 9, because Microsoft are lazy and were stupid in the past.

In a nutshell its all to do with updates, when the update service runs it checks to see what version of Windows, and if it starts with 9, (for windows 95, 98) then apply certain updates.

If they made a windows 9, they would have to roll out updates to any pc runnig pre 2000, and as they don't support them anymore..

They took lazy option and missed 9.

I'm going to do some research and find a way to go back to windows 7, 8 after that 30 period!

When you do it after the 30 days windows 10 tells you that the files have been deleted, but a check of the files find them all still there. What Microsoft delete is a simple link to those files,

More work needed

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Big thanks for this!

Much appreciated

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Just another Thank You!

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0bserver1
Why do we not want windows 10 ? I also had received the update but didn't install it yet, only downloaded it .
Is it so bad ??

Fear of the unknown.

Most people don't know how to use their OS, so they do things like stick tape over webcams, rip out internal mics, never do an update, or change from windows 3.11.

There's no real reason... In fact, it's funny. the first time M$ have a free os, and instead of the usual guides on how to bypass the kms licensing... it's how to not install it !! lol

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Murgatroid

Interesting comment from the video I just posted above:

They skipped 9 just like the Cabalistic's skip level 9 and go to 10 on the cabalistic tree of life...

So glad I avoided 29 minutes if that is the calibre of the comments.

M$ have never followed any numerical order... gawd strewth...

MS-DOS 1.10, 1.11, 1.14, 1.24, 1.25, 2.0, 2.1, 2.11, 3.0, 3.1, 3.11, 3.2, 3.21, 3.22, 3.25, 3.3, 3.3a, 3.31, 4.0, 4.00, 4.01, 4.01a, 5.0, 6.0, 6.2, 6.21, 6.22, 7.0, 7.1, 8.0 -- NO NINE AGAIN !!! ZOMG!!
MS-WIN 3, 3.1, 3.11. 95, nt, 98, 2000, me, xp, vista, 7,8, 8.1 10...

Yah.. so cabalistic....

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Actually.. 7 ate 9

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I'm curious to know if anyone has had any success with the updates now that Win 10 was disabled.

It says something like preparing.....and keeps basically doing nothing.
I've never had updates take so long to install.....I'm wondering if I'm going to have to bite the bullet...and install 10

UPDATE
I run CCleaner every night. Must have cleaned up some clutter in the temporary files.

Today I ran the updates again..and they all installed.
Two failed, but i ran CCleaner again...and they both installed.....so whatever happened, I am currently up to date on Win7 updates.

edit on Tue Aug 25 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Temporarily closed to allow the OP to make some additions/updates to the OP.
Please stay tuned.

edit on Tue Aug 25 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   
And we're back...

Added additional info to the OP:

Apparently Windows 10 still wants to download even after completing the above. The only known work-around at this moment is to re-enable the Windows icon in the task bar so that you can cancel your Windows 10 reservation. This will then allow you to update Windows 7 or 8.1 normally via Windows Update.

This guide shows you how to do that:

winsupersite.com...

You can always re-reserve your copy of Windows 10 again sometime before the end of July 2016.

(Or you can just let Windows 10 download (but not install) and then get your security updates normally.)

edit on 25-8-2015 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 06:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Murgatroid

Interesting comment from the video I just posted above:

They skipped 9 just like the Cabalistic's skip level 9 and go to 10 on the cabalistic tree of life...

They skipped 9 in order to avoid name confusion with windows 9x series (95 and 98).
edit on 26-8-2015 by yosako because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Looking at M$'s free gift (Trojan) horse in the rear end exposes something that appears to be walking like a duck...

With all those bombs hidden inside and all, perhaps that's normal.

Maybe it really is a duck or could it be a bomb just waiting to go off?

I smell gun powder.

NOT gonna touch it...

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Well, I cancelled my reservation just now.....we'll see what happens next.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   
So, today I open Windows Update....just for laughs and giggles.

Guess what?
Right there in OPTIONAL updates is Windows 10, just waiting to be installed.
Even though I put the last two updates in HIDDEN.
Even though I un-reserved my copy of Win 10!!!

Just WOW!!!!!!!

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Another great way to induce obviate the icon and also the reminders is to simply upgrade....

I did this morning and that I haven't run into any issues to this point. solely took and hour and that I did not have to redownload any of the previous programs or worries concerning backing up all my files.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

agreed...

Reminds me of a book written about a man who created a computer and sold them to the entire world and then after awhile, locked every single one OUT of them...then took over the world. Can't remember the name of the book ...but it might have been Issac Asimov who wrote the book..?

yea.....but ..yeah....

edit on 29-12-2015 by Komodo because: ...

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Hi all, sorry for off-top, need some advice! I have Windows 7 now, my company will do a big operating system update to Windows 10. I do a lot of my tasks in Office - Powerpoint and use standard Templates. I read on Twitter of Microsoft that they will be redesigned all Office, include Powerpoint Templates, is it true? If it is, how can I add old templates in Office 365? And how I can add a templates from site, because company force use the source (partner).

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Natch1986

YOu may want to make two more posts...and then start a new thread on your topic.
Using the NEW TOPIC button on this link
www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join