It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A boulder-sized object seen flying off (or past) the comet 67P

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   
It's not clear if the boulder got detached from the comet itself, or was just randomly flying past.

This sequence of images, taken with Rosetta’s OSIRIS narrow-angle camera on 30 July 2015, show a boulder-sized object close to the nucleus of Comet 67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko.

The images were captured on 30 July 2015, about 185 km from the comet. The object measures between one and 50 m across; however, the exact size cannot be determined as it depends on its distance to the spacecraft, which cannot be inferred from these images.

www.esa.int...

I would be very cool if it came off the comet!

The comet 67P has just passed perihelion (the closest part of its orbit to the Sun) and has been experiencing hightened activity, complete with powerful jets of gass and dust.

www.esa.int...

I'd love to hear more details and analysis from ESA and other astronomers about this object.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

Short of a very violent explosion that would have displayed assorted debris, there is nothing that could have caused a chunk to fly off the comet with an velocity other than a very slow drifting away.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Does this thing have (satellites)?
edit on 23-8-2015 by intrptr because: parenthesis

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   

A boulder-sized object seen flying off (or past) the comet 67P

I guess my question would be where is it heading?

Seems to be heading away from the main body if it indeed came from it...either way it sure is interesting for sure. Thanks.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

A few other pixels are visible moving away, in a similar direction, as the main chunk. A couple appear to be in the foreground of the comet. Not sure if they're related to the bigger chunk or just general outgassing.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   
My best guess, could be trapped gas that exploded . considering the sinkholes that this comet has..?

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   

notice how the object shines when first spotted even though it was in the dark side , so i think its far away and not from the surface .

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
It's a spark plug.

Electric Universe theory is vindicated.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   

The comet 67P has just passed perihelion (the closest part of its orbit to the Sun) and has been experiencing heightened activity, complete with powerful jets of gass and dust.

How close, do we know? Those are some pretty powerful looking jets coming from the surface. Cometary thrusters? Ever changing the orbital mechanics of near Sun objects.

Wonder what it would be like to stand near one of those jets. is there any animation?

Oh…

Scientists estimated that material in the jet was travelling at 10 metres per second, or possibly much faster.

Daily Mail

edit on 23-8-2015 by intrptr because: additional

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I think that is what's known as an Unidentified Flying Object.

Be interesting to know the time between shots , chances are it's a piece of the Comet blown off through venting but who knows.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Looks like it came off the comet and was accelerated outwards. But what I haven't seen before (well, the rock coming off the comet too) is that amazing picture of the comet venting. Wow, what a close-up to this natural phenomena.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   
There are many asteroids known to have "moons" orbiting them, albeit some are large rocks. The same would hold for comets, as pieces do come off, and some orbit the nucleus. What is pictured may be just the transit of a few large pieces that have come off in the past and orbit it. Asteroids with satellites

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I may have seen something like this before!

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 06:47 AM
link   
It may be an illusion of movement. Probably the comet is turning around giving the illusion of the object flying by at high speed.

new topics

top topics

join