It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows 10 is just another operating system!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

You can legally download a disc image of any version of Windows and, then, install it from either CD/DVD Rom or USB. All you need is the product key to make it Genuine.

You shouldn't be having to start with Vista.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
a reply to: Hecate666

Yet if I want to be 'up to date' with windows and decide on a new shiny interface and download W10, I do not expect the defaults to be DELIBERATELY stuck on 'give me your soul'. Not everyone is savvy enough to wade through all the pages and switch everything off.

Lol. Love that. I agree with what you're saying here, but two things I would point out.
1. Previous OS'es were also stuck on "give me your soul".
2. If you own a smartphone, it is also stuck on give me your soul, and you can't disable most of it.

Youtube has plenty of videos that will walk you through shutting off most of the spyware, but you will never shut it all off.

This is the first time criticism actually made me agree to some extent!
But I know what my phone does and act accordingly because it's not my main computer, the same for my tablet. On my main pc at home, just using an interface, I'd like to have ultimate control.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hecate666

originally posted by: Klassified
a reply to: Hecate666

Yet if I want to be 'up to date' with windows and decide on a new shiny interface and download W10, I do not expect the defaults to be DELIBERATELY stuck on 'give me your soul'. Not everyone is savvy enough to wade through all the pages and switch everything off.

Lol. Love that. I agree with what you're saying here, but two things I would point out.
1. Previous OS'es were also stuck on "give me your soul".
2. If you own a smartphone, it is also stuck on give me your soul, and you can't disable most of it.

Youtube has plenty of videos that will walk you through shutting off most of the spyware, but you will never shut it all off.

This is the first time criticism actually made me agree to some extent!
But I know what my phone does and act accordingly because it's not my main computer, the same for my tablet. On my main pc at home, just using an interface, I'd like to have ultimate control.

Ultimate control takes a bit of savvy, but do a search for Windows 10 privacy, or Windows 10 spyware, and you'll find step by step guides to disable a lot of the crap. Hint: Settings > Privacy, will let you control a lot of settings.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Nothing is truly private anymore, big brother is already here, I really have no issues with Windows 10 so far it does what I want it to do, it functions, I am not naïve enough to not be aware that we are always being watched and monitored in some form, it's the age we are in, so yeah Win10 takes the best bits from windows 7 and windows 8 and makes it work, most of it works and that's all you can ask for, it's 2015, privacy is non-existent, I think it all comes down to Microsoft being an easy target these days, like many people here have said Apple do the same thing, hell even Sony have been caught sharing people's info, I tend not to pay attention to the Anti-MS brigade, as a lot of the time you will see the same people on another forum praising the IPhone 6.2 and IPhone 6.3.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: LeeAndrewCox
Nothing is truly private anymore, big brother is already here, I really have no issues with Windows 10 so far it does what I want it to do, it functions, I am not naïve enough to not be aware that we are always being watched and monitored in some form, it's the age we are in, so yeah Win10 takes the best bits from windows 7 and windows 8 and makes it work, most of it works and that's all you can ask for, it's 2015, privacy is non-existent, I think it all comes down to Microsoft being an easy target these days, like many people here have said Apple do the same thing, hell even Sony have been caught sharing people's info, I tend not to pay attention to the Anti-MS brigade, as a lot of the time you will see the same people on another forum praising the IPhone 6.2 and IPhone 6.3.

Funny you should say that, Ive noticed the praising of iphones by the people complaining about windows 10. Obviously they have no technical knowledge. We all know Android and Iphones are the worse for privacy, the worse by a million miles. OSx and WinX are pretty much as bad as each other apart from the fact on windows you can turn most of the settings off and also there are already programs available to stop the snooping, and, yes, turning off the settings in windows 10 DOES work. They would be in serious trouble already if they did not. MS are not that stupid. Apple just refuse to even acknowledge the privacy problem in their OS and dont give their users an option to turn it off. As far as Im aware there are no programs available for osX that do this for you either.

There was a little concern about SELinux partly developed by the NSA, the code IS open and as with any Linux code that makes it into any distribution, it has been checked and re-checked literally thousands of times by developers across the globe. So no immediate worries there.
If privacy is a concern, I know many have said it and I can assure you all it is CORRECT, LINUX is the only way to go. It has many flavours, some look and feel like OSX, some Windows and others have their own desktop styles. Linux is not too difficult to grasp on the desktop level. If you delve into the command line interface you can literally change any setting you like on the whole system. If you can read code, you can look at all the code yourself for each end every element within the OS and know exactly what they are doing at any given moment.
Best of all, ITS FREE.

If privacy is so important, use Linux. None of the others respect your privacy.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: AnteBellum

I have had great results with Windows 10 on an old HP2000 laptop, breathed new life into what had been a slow clunky machine. I know better than to get into fanboy wars (have been avoiding them since OS/2), but I will state that most people that are alarmed have nothing to worry about, and those that are shouting out the warnings really do not have enough 'real-world' experience with multiple platforms to give any credence to their claims.
edit on 8232015 by seattlerat because: my spilling sugs

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: BombDefined

I use Windows 10.

I've not bothered turning off all the telemetry. I intend to bore them to death and fill their data centers with useless personal crap.

Bwah ha ha ha....

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Gothmog

So we should all be forced into scrapping perfectly machines just because they are otherwise older?

That says a lot about consumer culture right there. If an older laptop is doing what you need it to and you're happy with it, why should you be expected to buy a new one just because your operating system has decreed that it shall be thus and so?

We ran into the same problem when our comps went south. All we had were the Vista disks and the Win 7 upgrade. Our new MoBo wouldn't recognize the Vista system so that we could get online and upgrade it to install Win 7. Basically, our new machine was broken out of the box because there was no way to get the operating system to talk to the MoBo so we could upgrade the operating system to a version it liked.

Micro$oft are doing their best.

You cannot expect them to gold plate turds.

Older hardware cannot always be patched by software.

edit on 23/8/2015 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

I'm not stressing about all that hype. People scream about privacy issues then post ever waking moment of there lives via. Twitter/Facebook. Never understood that. . .

Usually I test out new software before I upgrade my entire office with it. Occasionally I skip a generation for cost and ease.
My pc seems to be ok, autocad is running fine, probably is the laptop and it was compatible. I see my It guy next week, I'll let him deal with it.

Oh, well gotta go, AB
edit on 8/23/2015 by AnteBellum because: spelling

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: BombDefined
a reply to: SgtHamsandwich

Speaking of T&C, are cartoon rocket penises in keeping with ATS'? haha

Well it's been about 6 hours or so now and my post has not been removed.

We have also had a mod post in this thread so it's looking like cartoon rocket penises are ATS-a-okay

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   
As technology progresses it is better to leave the "old stuff" behind. That is why I only have tower systems.Custom built by me. They are so easily upgraded . You take a part out , put the new one in. They could do that with laptops as well. They dont. That would mean you would not have to buy the latest greatest.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
As technology progresses it is better to leave the "old stuff" behind. That is why I only have tower systems.Custom built by me. They are so easily upgraded . You take a part out , put the new one in. They could do that with laptops as well. They dont. That would mean you would not have to buy the latest greatest.

Google should make a modular laptop in the same design family as the Ara phone. How awesome would that be?

Mix and match components to fit our individual needs, saving cost and lengthening the longevity of our devices.

Wait, maybe I should keep this idea to myself.
lol

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: SgtHamsandwich

originally posted by: Gothmog

Google should make a modular laptop in the same design family as the Ara phone. How awesome would that be?

Mix and match components to fit our individual needs, saving cost and lengthening the longevity of our devices.

Wait, maybe I should keep this idea to myself.
lol

No, do not keep the idea to yourself. As you call it modular parts have already been tried . There has been laptops manufactured with all parts upgradeable , even video cards and CPUs.It worked great. However , that would mean laptop manufacturers would take a loss on the market, and they crushed the idea.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   
windows 10 sucks

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: noxxen
windows 10 sucks

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   

This is my foolish attempt to dispel the 'Windows 10 privacy' threads that have been appearing on ATS for the last few weeks and months:

WINDOWS 10 IS JUST ANOTHER OPERATING SYSTEM!

The misguided concern here on ATS is quite frustrating, that Windows 10 spies on you in every conceivable capacity, when in actuality it's little more (if any) than previous operating systems.

As many other users have pointed, out the previous releases of Windows (XP, Vista, 7, 8/8.1) have all been significantly monitoring user data, often with similar public outcry at the time of their release.

This in not unique, as APPLE DOES THIS TOO! They are another massive company that profits from knowing the wants of their user base and gather information on them.

And oddly enough, when you click 'agree' to the T&C, YOU ARE AGREEING TO THE T&C!

If you want an OS that is less likely to have such privacy issues, you may have better luck with an open source Linux distro.

HOWEVER...

- Do you surf the web?
Your ISP can (usually) see what you are doing

- Do you look at web pages?
Search engines and individual websites can collect information about you. You agree to this when you use their website.

- Do you use ANY program on your computer?
They all have their individual T&C that you agree to when you install and use. They often report back information to their respective companies. (You probably have sent an error report after a program crashed right?)
This includes anti-virus/malware software.

- Do you use a VPN or some kind of privacy extension or app?
Chances are, they know your browsing habits too and keep logs.

These issues are not new, they exist in pretty much any device that is connected to the web in some way. There are far too many alarmist articles (and threads) that exist, often to profit, either directly or indirectly, from the fear they create. If you are so concerned about your privacy, either reevaluate what you do on the internet or return to snail mail and communicating in-person. (Big companies like Paypal who store your credit card details will be liable if that information gets leaked/hacked from them, so that aspect is often pretty safe, varying company to company of course)

*Disclaimer*
I have been a Windows 'Insider' since about November. This means I did FREE testing of the OS and am NOT on the payroll.

I have to agree, actually as far as just being an OS goes 10 has the prior versions beat hands down, then again XP was the primary reason for me switching to my MAC as my main PC. (The OS ran like canned crap and was hideous to look at)
Vista was a disaster, 7 was better but not great, 8/8.1 was an IT nightmare(inept users), whatever happened to 9??? But then comes 10... The UI is not offensive(YAY), it looks to be stable(I have tried to crash it, ohh and work in a major datacenter as a Z/OS and Linux Admin so I do kinda know what I am looking at) I think southpark covered this whole reading the TOS before clicking thing once before, if you are dumb enough to click without reading, you are as bad as signing up for a credit card with %20 APR. They don't really gather any more data now than they have been, MAC OS X does it, Ubuntu does it, Red Hat/CentOs does it, Windows does it,Android does it, iOS does it. If you think anything you do online is in fact private, well I have a bridge for sale in California. I will give you a great deal on it!

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: seattlerat
a reply to: AnteBellum

I have had great results with Windows 10 on an old HP2000 laptop, breathed new life into what had been a slow clunky machine. I know better than to get into fanboy wars (have been avoiding them since OS/2), but I will state that most people that are alarmed have nothing to worry about, and those that are shouting out the warnings really do not have enough 'real-world' experience with multiple platforms to give any credence to their claims.

Holy crap I am not the only person in the world to remember OS/2??? I still have production warp systems in the datacenter, they talk with Z/OS better than windows. zLinux on the Test LPAR though I use my CentOs laptop and it works fine... looks like OS/2 is finally going the way of the dodo. (funny side note: a crap load of ATM machines still run on OS/2)

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrancolinoX

originally posted by: LeeAndrewCox

Funny you should say that, Ive noticed the praising of iphones by the people complaining about windows 10. Obviously they have no technical knowledge. We all know Android and Iphones are the worse for privacy, the worse by a million miles. OSx and WinX are pretty much as bad as each other apart from the fact on windows you can turn most of the settings off and also there are already programs available to stop the snooping, and, yes, turning off the settings in windows 10 DOES work. They would be in serious trouble already if they did not. MS are not that stupid. Apple just refuse to even acknowledge the privacy problem in their OS and dont give their users an option to turn it off. As far as Im aware there are no programs available for osX that do this for you either.

There was a little concern about SELinux partly developed by the NSA, the code IS open and as with any Linux code that makes it into any distribution, it has been checked and re-checked literally thousands of times by developers across the globe. So no immediate worries there.
If privacy is a concern, I know many have said it and I can assure you all it is CORRECT, LINUX is the only way to go. It has many flavours, some look and feel like OSX, some Windows and others have their own desktop styles. Linux is not too difficult to grasp on the desktop level. If you delve into the command line interface you can literally change any setting you like on the whole system. If you can read code, you can look at all the code yourself for each end every element within the OS and know exactly what they are doing at any given moment.
Best of all, ITS FREE.

If privacy is so important, use Linux. None of the others respect your privacy.

Correction in regards to OS X, there is a very simple way to kill the snoopy stuff there, cheap little app called Little Snitch. It is a tcp/ip inspector that watches all your traffic packet by packet and allows you to block/stop/ban any traffic you don't like. I use it regularly and have never had a problem.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   

This is my foolish attempt to dispel the 'Windows 10 privacy' threads that have been appearing on ATS for the last few weeks and months:

WINDOWS 10 IS JUST ANOTHER OPERATING SYSTEM!

The misguided concern here on ATS is quite frustrating

This is about the first post i've read on here in ages that is legit, 100% how I feel.

Oh my god.. It was the same with 95, then nt (god that was torture to support at the time), then xp, and 2000 so on..

it's been the same thing every time, except the internet has grown, so the noise is louder.

Once you had to install the OS, and when you dialed into your ISP, you read your local IT news and see some negative reviews. Get to work the next day and cop a load of helpdesk calls and abuse.

alllll of which are "no click here, there, same thing, but better, now it does this AND that!" but getting the stern faced old bitch to cop it sweet was an effort. "you dont get a say, it's policy, deal." was what I wanted to say...

I had to turn ON my bloody updates and do an hours worth of updates to get to where I think I can get 10.

Im an internaught though. where no potato has gone before...

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: jude11
a reply to: BombDefined

You'll have to do it for the entire web then.

10's of millions of users, techies, companies that won't use it and so on.

It will not make any difference to a company or business that has a contract with M$, nor those who rely on a support system that only M$ can provide. That's why people pay for M$ support.

Personally, it's not for me. BUT that is a bold statement up there, 10's of millions of companies????

M$ are not losing if they dont charge. once it's got a foot in the door, it will sell.. trust me.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join